Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Aug 12, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #10,652 of 24,645
Quote:
Sin City: Recut  9/10

Directed by: Frank Miller, Robert Rodriguez, Quentin Tarantino

Featuring: Bruce Willis, Mickey Rourke, Jessica Alba, Maria Bello, Clive Owen, Nick Stahl, Powers Boothe, Rutger Hauer, Elijah Wood, Rosario Dawson, Josh Hartnett, Benicio Del Toro, Jaime King, Devon Aoki, Brittany Murphy, Michael Clarke Duncan

It may not be for everyone, but I really enjoyed the re-cut version. It was spliced into four separate stories, more true to form to the original Miller books. This film has an over the top visual style (also true to form to the books) for a "crime thriller", and it totally works.

edit:

beerchug.gif

Aug 12, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #10,653 of 24,645
Quote:
I just finished watching the new Sherlock Holmes too! But I didn't loose the story line, I understood every scenes. And English isn't even my native language. I actually cracked up a few times by the silly English humor. The jokes are as good as the action scenes in this movie. I can think of many other movies that are ridiculously harder to follow than this one.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
8/10

Here's one that simply doesn't have a story line, and in which at least half of it's 3 hours long inarticulate collage of random scenes just don't make any sens:

Watchmen (Director's cut)
3/10

I hate to necromance this forward a few pages but....wut? A clear cut story with a slightly twist ending that go's back and explains its self gets a 3/10 for having no story line? and slow-mo explosion English accent fest gets an 8/10?

Also Moriarty's endgame was stupid trivial and idiotic.
"So I'm going to cause a shadow war to bankrupt some people so I can buy them out, then I'm going to own all the things........then I'm going to make more money than I have even though I have clearly established I could bankrupt god in a hostile take over that lasts a millennium and still come out with enough money to light my overly expensive cigars with a $100 bill or the English equivalent"

Re-watched pulpfiction again last night
yeah 8.5/10, its funny, witty, has a story, and is kind of true to life. What I like so much about it is that the characters react like well they would if they were actually put in this situation.

Aug 12, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #10,654 of 24,645
Quote:
Yes, some movies shouldn't be re-made.

This article morphed a review of it to an indictment of our election this fall--or something like that.

http://www.salon.com/2012/08/04/total_recall_and_americas_false_memory_syndrome

it follows the books story.

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #10,656 of 24,645
Aug 12, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #10,657 of 24,645
Aug 12, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #10,659 of 24,645
Quote:
What do you head-fiers think of the the movie the hunger games?

Call me a hipster, but I usually avoid things that are blown out of proportion by the media like the plague. The few times that I have watched these sort of movies, I've usually been disappointed. I didn't see the movie, but I'm guessing that it was blown completely out of proportion by its hype in much the same way that the twilight series was (yeah I went to see the first one- 0/10) .

Aug 12, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #10,660 of 24,645
I'm not saying that by default the book is always better than the movie, but it's a good general rule and The Hunger Games is not an exception. A pity.

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #10,661 of 24,645
Quote:
Call me a hipster, but I usually avoid things that are blown out of proportion by the media like the plague. The few times that I have watched these sort of movies, I've usually been disappointed. I didn't see the movie, but I'm guessing that it was blown completely out of proportion by its hype in much the same way that the twilight series was (yeah I went to see the first one- 0/10) .

I don't think this is a fair comparison. Both Twilight and Hunger Games are really popular with teen girls, but the difference between the two is that Twilight has generally been lampooned by critics while Hunger Games has generally been praised. Pretty big difference IMO, and it's not fair to group the two of them together.

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #10,662 of 24,645
Quote:
I don't think this is a fair comparison. Both Twilight and Hunger Games are really popular with teen girls, but the difference between the two is that Twilight has generally been lampooned by critics while Hunger Games has generally been praised. Pretty big difference IMO, and it's not fair to group the two of them together.

Specially when you realize the only similarities that they share is they are both based on wildly successful Young Adult book series. I was pleasantly surprised by how good Hunger Games was, and to even put it in the same sentence as the Twilight movies does it a disservice. Every movie doesn't need to be the next Citizen Cane to be good.

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #10,663 of 24,645
The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938). 10/10. Pretty great. Let's see, minimal romantic scenes, castles, sword fights, defiance. It's aged well and my total score comes to 11 points, -1 point for men in tights.

Aug 13, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #10,664 of 24,645
Quote:

Specially when you realize the only similarities that they share is they are both based on wildly successful Young Adult book series. I was pleasantly surprised by how good Hunger Games was, and to even put it in the same sentence as the Twilight movies does it a disservice. Every movie doesn't need to be the next Citizen Cane to be good.

Alright that was unfair I guess, but I still feel like it won't live up to the hype surrounding it once I watch it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back