Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jul 15, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #10,516 of 24,645
From what I recall, Rutger Hauer improvised that charming bit of dialog on the spot.

Jul 15, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #10,517 of 24,645
Drive (2012)
Drive2011Poster.jpg

I was shocked and awed by this film. Beautiful colour palette, excellent cinematography, great acting, great soundtrack, good story.
I don't get why some might say that it's boring, maybe it's because they thought it was a Fast and Furious movie.
No, Drive is a work of art, not a big buck blockbuster movie and for that, I rate it:
9/10

Jul 15, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #10,518 of 24,645
Sorry to see the  negative comments about 'Get The Gringo' and 'Lockout. Both are from actors who have nothing to prove talent wise. True neither movie will rate among their best work but both were fun. Pearce in particular hamming it up shamelessly to great effect. and Gibson, well, just being Gibson.
Simply they were a harmless way to spend a couple of hours being entertained. More The Three Stooges than Hamlet but fun nonetheless. 

Jul 15, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #10,519 of 24,645
Quote:
Sorry to see the  negative comments about 'Get The Gringo' 

Funny, I thought favorable impressions and an 8/10 were positive comments.....  
blink.gif

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #10,520 of 24,645
At the Circus - 6.5/10 (Marx Brothers, 1939)

This is the first Marx Brothers movie that took me THREE tries to get through. The singing is awful and makes me want to fast forward it.
The last 20 minutes makes it worthwhile.

Japanese Girls at the Harbor (6/10, 1933)

This movie comes in the box set called "Travels with Hiroshi Shimizu". If you love old Japanese movies, you'll love this. It's from Criterion and worth every penny.
My favorite in the series was "The Ornamental Hairpin".

This director made hundreds of movies yet only these are available in the USA..that's too bad.

My favorite boxed set is "Silent Ozu". They're actually early silent comedies and quite funny.

I need to find some good old Japanese movies. They're my favorites. I think there's some old Ozu movies that are only available in Hong Kong I need to track down. Trying to see most of them, but it's been tough. I get them all confused!

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #10,521 of 24,645
Quote:
Sorry to see the  negative comments about 'Get The Gringo' and 'Lockout. Both are from actors who have nothing to prove talent wise. True neither movie will rate among their best work but both were fun. Pearce in particular hamming it up shamelessly to great effect. and Gibson, well, just being Gibson.
Simply they were a harmless way to spend a couple of hours being entertained. More The Three Stooges than Hamlet but fun nonetheless. 

I wasn't knocking either actor. Gibson is pitch perfect in Gringo imo, though we've seen him play this role before. Pearce is a magnificent actor, and yes he is good in Lockout. His character is likeable. As I endured the mediocrity of Lockout, I wished for a similarly gritty sci-fi film that could accommodate this character and not diminish this underrated actor's body of work.

Jul 15, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #10,522 of 24,645
The Island - 6.5/10. Overall interesting and action-ey, but seemed to drag on longer than welcome. (It's Michael Bay)

The Fall - 7/10. Simple story with Lee Pace and a little Romanian girl, does enough to catch you off-guard from what the trailer shows. Romanian girl can get irritating, but admittedly her acting (and purposed lack-there-of) adds to the realism. Good second-watch to Big Fish.

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #10,523 of 24,645
Primer - 9/10

A very twisty, interesting plot progression that is extremely complicated. Watch it a second time and it becomes more clear. From what I read, it was made on a $7000 budget. Highly recommend.

Jul 15, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #10,525 of 24,645
We Bought A Zoo - 8.5/10 - Really liked the story throughout, a very "feel good" kind of movie.

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #10,526 of 24,645
Quote:

“I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate…

“…All those moments will be lost in time...

“…Like tears in rain...

“…Time to die.”

Stop with the poetry, your going to make me cry. 

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #10,527 of 24,645
Quote:
American Reunion - 7/10

I think the biggest reason I enjoyed this one was because I remembered all the characters from the original American Pie and it brought back a sense of nostalgia that really drew me in. Not the funniest, but stiffler is awesome and there is some decent comedy sprinkled throughout. I'd recommend a watch if you grew up with American Pie.

Ya......had to see it, still not like the first one though. Ratting 5/10.     There was some great parts that were totally funny.  I just think it could have been better. 

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #10,528 of 24,645
American Pie movies, to me, all suck. I've seen most of them and they hardly make me laugh. 

IMO, they're for kids who haven't hit puberty yet looking for some bewbs. Most people like them though. 

Also, watched Hangover with a friend as it was the only thing on TV tonight, still hate it. Nothing was legitimately funny, just a ton of idiotic humor, 3/10.

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #10,529 of 24,645
My Wife likes the series and in the first week American Pie 1 came out in the theaters, the crowd was going nuts! The only other movie that I have seen the theater do that was Caddy Shack in 1980. 

American Pie had a special charm in it's day. I think folks truly thought it was funny and original. Financially the studio can milk the series for all it's worth, but very rarely are the sequels better. You know their coming out with more!

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #10,530 of 24,645
Quote:
My Wife likes the series and in the first week American Pie 1 came out in the theaters, the crowd was going nuts! The only other movie that I have seen the theater do that was Caddy Shack in 1980. 

American Pie had a special charm in it's day. I think folks truly thought it was funny and original. Financially the studio can milk the series for all it's worth, but very rarely are the sequels better. You know their coming out with more!

The thing is, Caddyshack was actually funny. 

To the bold: 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back