Rate The Last Movie You Watched
May 19, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #10,216 of 24,647
"Drive" - 9/10.  I was very pleasantly surprised with this flick.  The soundtrack was great and played at all the right moments.  Ryan played a good psychopathic role.  The director's style and film elements reminded me very much of David Lynch.  Highly recommended flick.

May 19, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #10,217 of 24,647
David Lynch?  Michael Mann obviously, but David Lynch?  Was there a midget in a tuxedo hidden in some corner speaking backwards?

May 19, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #10,220 of 24,647
Battleship, 4/5

Good to see a movie that shows off the Navy for a chance. The movie is pretty entertaining with some pretty solid action scenes. Some of it was a bit corny

like the acting of the old USS Missouri battleship crew. Also how the battleship is suddenly sea ready and capable of combat is a tad stretched but it sure was friggin awesome seeing that ship pwn those aliens. 

Anyway, I thought it was very impressive how you get a perspective of not only where the good guys are but also where the aliens are as well. Gives a unique perspective in the battle that is pretty refreshing to see.  This isn't exactly a movie that is meant to show exactly how the Navy opperates, it's one of those movies where you leave your brain at home and just enjoy the action. 

May 19, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #10,221 of 24,647
"The Grey" [7.3/10]: I watched this movie on pay-per-view. It was OK for a Saturday night pay-per-view, I guess. Glad that I didn't spend twenty plus bucks to see it in the theatre. I love Liam Neeson, but this film certainly wasn't among his best. Typical pick-'em off one at a time movie. Ending was not satisfying...watch until the credits are over. Seemed like a cop-out ending for a two hour flick...I was rooting for the wolves the whole time!

May 20, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #10,222 of 24,647
Drive reminded me of the spaghetti westerns of my youth. The silent stoic bad@ss lead actor, the doomed romance, and the pacing and intensity of the action.

May 20, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #10,223 of 24,647
Quote:
What? You didn't notice it in the background?

Ooops, there he is.  
tongue_smile.gif

The Met's Ring Cycle/Gotterdammerung-7.5/10.  I'll need to trek to Bayreuth someday because American Wagner isn't doing it for me.  Pacific Symphony wrecked La Boheme as well.

5 year engagement- almost an 8/10.  Predictable formula but decently funny.  Emily Blunt works out well.

Dark Shadows-6.5/10. 

May 22, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #10,224 of 24,647
Take Shelter, 8/10

There's a fine line between prophecy and lunacy, and there's a storm coming.

May 23, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #10,225 of 24,647
Poseidon - 5.5/10 (latest remake)

Total waste of talent. Kurt Russell and Richard Dreyfuss and this is all you can come up with for them? Dreyfuss alone didn't even get much dialogue for his role.
If you don't know what happens...a cruise ship gets hit with a rogue wave and flips upside down. The first 20 minutes are almost unbearably bad. Then it gets a little better.
There's pretty much no fun to be had while watching this movie (at least for me). It's kind of the feeling you get whole watching an episode of "I shouldn't be alive" mixed in with some sort of tame horror movie.
I guess i'm used to all those entertaining Roland Emmerich disaster flicks where lots of stuff blows up and you can turn off your brain.

Basically this is too scripted. What they did is come up with one stupid event after the next and make everything about 10x more dramatic than it needs to be (like a TV movie). All of it just relies on dumb coincidences during the entire movie.

Typical scripted characters. The script "a-hole" character is always the one to die first. The smallest role usually dies next and the weakest person goes after that. Seen that in nearly every Hollywood movie.

Have you seen all the old "Airport" movies (not The Airplane movies silly)? Those are actually better. Even the one where they're inside a 747 that sinks under water and they're trapped.
Even "2012" is slightly better. I actually thought part 1 was the worst.

I think Wolfgang Peterson movies aren't that good except for "Das Boot". Even "The Neverending Story" is overrated. I guess "Enemy Mine" and "In the Line of Fire" are OK.

May 23, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #10,226 of 24,647
Quote:

Ooops, there he is.  
tongue_smile.gif

The Met's Ring Cycle/Gotterdammerung-7.5/10.  I'll need to trek to Bayreuth someday because American Wagner isn't doing it for me.  Pacific Symphony wrecked La Boheme as well.

5 year engagement- almost an 8/10.  Predictable formula but decently funny.  Emily Blunt works out well.

Dark Shadows-6.5/10. 

Did you like "Beetlejuice"? I think I hate every single Tim Burton movie, but I  love that one. Ok, i'll admit it... "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" is a favorite too.

Edward Scissorhands...pretty much hate everything about that.

May 23, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #10,227 of 24,647
Have you seen 1972's The Poseidon Adventure? A bit dated but an old favorite. Gene Hackman, Ernest Borgnine, Shelly Winters, Roddy McDowell, etc...

May 23, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #10,228 of 24,647
Quote:

Did you like "Beetlejuice"? I think I hate every single Tim Burton movie, but I  love that one.

AS a kid, probably 8/10, maybe 7.5/10 now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back