Rate The Last Movie You Watched
May 6, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #10,156 of 24,633
Watched Tree of Life twice. First round some of the eye candy stuff felt a bit extranous and didn´t see the context but the second watch through it all fell into place. Hard to decide which of his movies I like best. A new World, Thin Red Line and Tree of Life is all true masterpieces :). A new world maybe if I have to decide. The most even paced of them. Never has mud been so great to look at as well.

Tree of Life is a killer movie to show off your sound system too.

May 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #10,158 of 24,633
Speaking of Tree of Life. Watched Melancholia today. Similar layout. Really great movie as well but not fan of shakey cam. First Trier movie I give a 5/5.

May 6, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #10,159 of 24,633
Avengers. Even though the hordes of 14-year olds around us (who tried to wolf-whistle through their braces at various screen curves) enjoyed it, I give this pop-culture pastiche a 5/10 because of its "plot".

May 6, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #10,160 of 24,633
Speaking of Tree of Life. Watched Melancholia today. Similar layout. Really great movie as well but not fan of shakey cam. First Trier movie I give a 5/5.

Both great movies IMHO.

May 7, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #10,163 of 24,633
Quote:

Love that movie and it's one of my favorites. It's up there with Von Ryan's Express, Guns of Navarone and the Great Escape.

I saw "Tree of Life" twice in the theaters. I liked it, but when it came out on Blu-Ray I had no interest in watching it again. I prefer "The Thin Red Line" which is in my top 10.

The only thing about "Kwai" that kind of irks me now is that one actor who plays one of the British prisoners that reminds me of Gordon Ramsay. He's distracting. But that's just me. And now I can't unsee it. Otherwise, it keeps me completely compelled throughout.

May 7, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #10,164 of 24,633
Just saw Drive, which takes an empty, run of the mill heist plot and gives it a soul, brain and heart. Gosling as Driver, the unassuming anti-hero, reminded me of Eastwood in his early Leone days. The pacing wasn't action-packed but the gradual buildup of tension was perfect. Some of the violence was over the top, but it was fleeting and felt somehow right in context. Even though this movie was set in the Hollywoodland of LA, the characters felt genuine. The dialog sounded authentic and the cinematography was damn near perfect, way to keep it real. 8.5/10

May 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #10,165 of 24,633
Tree of life, the birth of the our world vs. Melencholia, the death of it. They provide the bookends for all other films, 9.5/10 on aggregate.

May 10, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #10,166 of 24,633
Tree of Life is certainly a good example of how movie making evolved before the discovery of structure and development.  New World is still the only enjoyable movie of his for me.

May 10, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #10,167 of 24,633
Just finished the third season of Breaking Bad. 8/10. Like being hooked on crystal meth. I had to give this series two false starts, thinking each time that I wasn't interested.  Couldn't get past the premise of the subject matter. Glad I gave it a chance as it's yet another vehicle to examine the dark and the light in all of us, and those things that make us choose one over the other. Reminiscent of Deadwood and Carnivalle and Dexter in that thematic regard.  Highly recommended, but give it a few episodes to really kick in.  Streamed it on Netflix up to Season 3.  Season 4 scheduled to be available there come June or July I think.  Season 5 is running currently.  

May 10, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #10,168 of 24,633
Breaking Bad is a good show. I was skeptical at first too thinking how this story of a chemistry teacher and student work? But it turned out to work well. I'm not sure what it is, maybe it's the characters that keep drawing me in. And the trouble of them almost getting killed and staying alive keeps it going for me.

May 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #10,170 of 24,633
Quote:
Headhunters/Hodejegerne  7/10

[size=small] [/size]First class dark/violent/comic Norwegian thriller,despite a couple of logic fails in the plot.

Speaking of norwegian movies don´t miss Troll Hunter. Best monster movie since Jurassic Park.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back