Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Feb 27, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #9,901 of 24,645
The Woman in Black - 6/10. Nothing new to see here, but the ghost-story cliches were all well excecuted. Lacking a bit at the end and logic/common sense is non-present in this movie, but Radcliffe pulls it off and it makes for a nice little horror flick.

Klassefesten (Danish) - 2/10. For some reason somewhat praised in the media. For me, it was nothing but an awful compilation of "get drunk, act stupid, realize what's important" films that never really dared to be different or for that matter even remotely funny.

We need to talk about Kevin - 8/10. I never figured out what this movie really wanted to tell me, but I was thorougly enjoying it and got caught in the spooky atmosphere right away. The guy who plays Kevin really delivers, and it was an interesting subject. A nice little slowpaced thriller.

Feb 27, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #9,902 of 24,645

Quote:
Quote:
Stood the test of time:

Dumb And Dumber

Dumb and Dumber stood the test of time? 

So far, which isn't saying much I guess. I like your choice of Wings of Desire, but my personal choice would be Alice in the Cities.

Ever had a movie go waaaay downhill after maybe a dozen or more viewings? Forrest Gump was like that with me. 

Yes, and it happens all at once--one day I realize that I may never watch it again. I think it usually it comes from over saturation, a condition I'm trying to temper, as the subsequent loss is quite a disappointment.

Feb 27, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #9,903 of 24,645

So far, which isn't saying much I guess. I like your choice of Wings of Desire, but my personal choice would be Alice in the Cities.

Yes, and it happens all at once--one day I realize that I may never watch it again. I think it usually it comes from over saturation, a condition I'm trying to temper, as the subsequent loss is quite a disappointment.

I have not seen that Wenders film, but will check it out on your recommendation. Have you seen , Lisbon Story? It's a small and quiet film, but quite wonderful. It features one of my favorite bands: Madredeus. Wenders seems to always use great music and his series on the blues is pretty good too.

Feb 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #9,904 of 24,645
Oh, and, for me, Dumb and Dumber, just keeps getting more dumb and dumber. Whereas, There's Something About Mary, has me laughing every time. I wouldn't call either a timeless classic though. Modern Times, perhaps, or The General, those are timeless comedy for me. Not much in contemporary comedies come close and transcends culture and generations the way those do.

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #9,906 of 24,645
Days of Being Wild - 7.6/10 (on Netflix)

This is the first of a trilogy followed by In The Mood For Love and 2046. I'm a fan of director Wong Kar Wai's movies. His stuff is usually abstract and usually leaves a bit of mystery for interpretation by the audience. There's nothing particularly great about his movies, but I like the way he artistically delivers them. And he always has a strong cast. Chunking Express is another movie I also like and recommend.

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #9,907 of 24,645

Quote:
Oh, and, for me, Dumb and Dumber, just keeps getting more dumb and dumber. Whereas, There's Something About Mary, has me laughing every time. I wouldn't call either a timeless classic though. Modern Times, perhaps, or The General, those are timeless comedy for me. Not much in contemporary comedies come close and transcends culture and generations the way those do.

Hmm I much prefer DD to Mary.  I didn't like DD much when it came out, but have seen it twice recently and loved it.  One of the better comedies IMO. 

Some other favorite comedies of mine:

Superbad
The Life Aquatic
Napoleon Dynamite
The Royal Tenembaums or however the heck you spell it

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #9,909 of 24,645

Quote:
I think the problem w/ the Shining movie is there's a bit of low budget 80's camp to it which makes it difficult to stand up to the test of time.  Most classics suffer this to some degree IME where they just carry too much 'production baggage' from their period.  Think of how cool the CGI looked for Phantom Menace when it debuted, now it looks like a joke.

Please don't give Lucas any more ideas. He'll want to re-re-re-release it with touched up CGI.

Feb 28, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #9,912 of 24,645
The last movie I saw was "The Artist" which is funny because it's a silent movie and I'm on an audiophile forum. Anyway, I'd give it a 9/10. I think everyone should see it.

Feb 28, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #9,913 of 24,645

Quote:
The last movie I saw was "The Artist" which is funny because it's a silent movie and I'm on an audiophile forum. Anyway, I'd give it a 9/10. I think everyone should see it.

Ah but it had a good musical score.  Actually won an Oscar for it.  Beat John Williams twice w/ one fell swoop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back