Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Feb 20, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #9,826 of 24,645

Quote:
Quote:

I googled your sig for kicks and found something interesting re one of your previous posts:

"In the 2008 remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still, this line was added at Keanu Reeves' insistence as he wanted to speak the famous line.[2] Helen Benson never learns the phrase in the remake. Instead, Klaatu uses it near the beginning of the movie to shut down Gort after he was shot, and again (highly distorted and barely audible) at the end when he touches the sphere and stops the destruction of the earth. Although the line is not in the English subtitles, it can be heard."

Well no one I know has heard the line in the movie, and the movie was so pitiful it will never reach my Rods and Cones again, so I guess I'll never be able to confirm.

Feb 20, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #9,827 of 24,645
You must mean this?   where Gort says it?  Lame.  Makes no sense since Gort is not the one who says it!

Feb 20, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #9,828 of 24,645
There's a whole wiki about that phrase:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaatu_barada_nikto

Feb 20, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #9,829 of 24,645
"Caterpillar"  7/10.  Streamed this on Netflix.  I nice taste of a culture that prizes social honor - a rare trait in any society now a days.  The ending was poetic, in a very kamikaze way, but with a twist of personal redemption.

Feb 20, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #9,830 of 24,645

Quote:
There's a whole wiki about that phrase:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaatu_barada_nikto

Yeah it's one of the most famous lines of all science fiction.   I showed the 2008 clip to my teenage daughter for approval.  She gave it a "really lame" grade.  For here astute critique Im letting her use the LCD-2 for 3 hours...

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #9,831 of 24,645
The Thing (2011) - 10/10 for enjoyment, realistically a 6-8/10 depending on your mood.

I get it, it isn't as amazing as John Carpenter's masterpiece. Considering what they had to work with, to attempt to reverse engineer the old set that never appeared in a completed form is quite amazing.
While I still liked it, and rated it compared to what else has been available in recent memory, they suffered by doing a prequel. It's hard enough to make a movie that is going to get fan backlash regardless of what you do, and on top having to keep continuity with a Carpenter's film made thirty years ago. Sometimes certain moves made to keep inline with the sequel seem forced.

It stands on it's own feet  quite well though and I truely enjoyed it. My major complaint would be the pacing. There isn't too much psychological tension between the characters on screen nor is it a guessing game for the viewers at home. That's not to say it appears obvious, but slowing things down and adding more tension could have worked wonders. I can't echo the sentiments about the CGI being 'bad', I thought it was great in some places and acceptable in others.  Maybe people just wanted the ol' practical effects instead of CG monsters...who knows?

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #9,832 of 24,645
Have you seen Apocalypto? I thought he would never top Braveheart but I still wonder if he maybe actually did.

I so much need something that totally blows me away...

JCVD yesterday.... yaaaaaaawn. But seriously never knew he could actually act.

The Adjustment Bureau. It´s like a movie full of Matt Damons. Nice guy but where is the charisma or the acting? Was like everybody else in the movie had to be just as grey as him... Zzzzzzzz
Quote:
Braveheart - 8/10

I've seen this so many times that it has finally lost something. I'll admit that despite being 2 1/2 hours it feels short.
Gotta love the Hollywood garbage they throw in just to please the audience.

I turn it off 15 minutes before the end. I won't ruin anything.

I really wish Mel Gibson would do more movies like this.

The Fugitive  - 10/10

I've seen this maybe dozens of times. Pretty much near perfect.

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #9,833 of 24,645

Quote:
Have you seen Apocalypto? I thought he would never top Braveheart but I still wonder if he maybe actually did.

I so much need something that totally blows me away...

JCVD yesterday.... yaaaaaaawn. But seriously never knew he could actually act.

The Adjustment Bureau. It´s like a movie full of Matt Damons. Nice guy but where is the charisma or the acting? Was like everybody else in the movie had to be just as grey as him... Zzzzzzzz

I thought Apocalypto was excellent.

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #9,834 of 24,645
Feb 21, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #9,835 of 24,645
Another thumbs up for Apocalypto.

Also, thanks to a couple of folks who recommended, Aftershock, recently.  I saw it last night and enjoyed it, in spite of low-budget effects, and not really world-class performances.  The story is well written and very compelling, and indeed it would be hard to shed some tears for that one.  7/10 for me though, but I would recommend it.

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #9,836 of 24,645
Apocalypto was too dark and depressing for me. I wouldn't inflict that torture on my worst enemy.
Thankfully I don't have to review movies like this for a living because I couldn't do it. It's not that it's bad..

With the way my luck is going lately, I don't need any more depressing movies...for awhile at least.
I need to finish all my Marx Brothers movies. Think I'll watch "A Night in Casablanca" again tonight.

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #9,837 of 24,645
The prescription is little miss Sunshine. That gem never gets old.

Quote:
Apocalypto was too dark and depressing for me. I wouldn't inflict that torture on my worst enemy.
Thankfully I don't have to review movies like this for a living because I couldn't do it. It's not that it's bad..

With the way my luck is going lately, I don't need any more depressing movies...for awhile at least.
I need to finish all my Marx Brothers movies. Think I'll watch "A Night in Casablanca" again tonight.

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #9,838 of 24,645

Quote:
The prescription is little miss Sunshine. That gem never gets old.

You can watch that after Apocalypto?  That would be a strange movie night for me.

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #9,840 of 24,645

Quote:
You can watch that after Apocalypto?  That would be a strange movie night for me.

Lol. Never attempted that combo. But totally different universe so don´t think it would be a problem :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back