Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 22, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #9,557 of 24,651

Quote:
Rise of the Planet of the Apes​
, 7/10. I suppose it fits the narrative for a prequel to the rest of the franchise but somehow it didn't quite jive with my expectations.

Agreed, honestly, I wasn't a big fan of the Rise of the Planet of the Apes. I'd give it a 6, maybe a 6.5.

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #9,559 of 24,651

Quote:
what?  come on.  Frickin gorillas are jumping off of bridges and blowing up helicopters and you're not entertained??!!!

Hey, it's a fun and entertaining movie when it comes to the action, but I thought the overall presentation wasn't up to par for me.

Jan 22, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #9,560 of 24,651
Red Tails - 8/10

I'm a fan of World War II movies so I just had to see this. Liked most everything in this movie except or a few things they MIGHT have sugar-coated. I have to check some things to see if they're historically accurate though. Mostly the bar scenes or the Stalag 18 one.

The special effects were pretty good except for some shots of the ground from a distance. Totally believable to me.

It'll be interesting to know if this is an accurate movie or not. I also ordered the blu-ray of the Laurence Fishbourne version from 1995. It's only $10!! I heard it was good.

Some of the acting from the smaller roles in the planes were bad. Not from the main actors (except for maybe one line in the beginning)

So glad my theater was packed for this movie! It was on a Sunday though.

BTW we need more WW2 movies like this!

Jan 22, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #9,561 of 24,651

Quote:
I also ordered the blu-ray of the Laurence Fishbourne version from 1995. It's only $10!! I heard it was good.

Much better than Red Tails except the special effects.  Still reeked too much of Lucas for me.  Thankfully he's forced himself into retirement.

Haywire - 6.5-7/10.  I like badass chicks w/ guns.  Too bad Soderbergh had some sloppy dialogue and plot holes.  Plus stealing scenes from your own movies?  Very lazy Stevie.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - 8/10.  Liked it more than I thought I would.  

Iron Lady - 7.75/10.  Movie was better than some of the overly critical reviews and Streep's acting was waaay better than the early trailers let on.  Thankfully, phew....

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #9,562 of 24,651
Lately I've been tempted to watch "Flyboys" again. Is this better than "Red Tails"? I remember turning that off, but maybe I never gave it a chance.
Seems like the CGI was awful.

It seems I probably dislike 10% of the war movies I watch. When they're really bad I almost forget i've seen them.

Today I just realized they had a sequel to "The Guns of Navarone". Probably terrible though.

Amazon Prime has some good free WW2 movies I might watch tonight. I imagine John Wayne War movies are probably as historically inaccurate as you can get!

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #9,563 of 24,651

Quote:
Lately I've been tempted to watch "Flyboys" again. Is this better than "Red Tails"? I remember turning that off, but maybe I never gave it a chance.
Seems like the CGI was awful.

CGI is worse than Red Tails obviously but I think it's a bettter movie.  You'll actually notice a few similarities in storyline Red Tails straight ripped off.

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #9,565 of 24,651
As an IL 2 nut need to check out red tails. I was positively surprised by Flyboys.

Watched Colombiana and while not innovative very well done and well paced.

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #9,566 of 24,651
The Big Year

Loved it 7/10

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #9,567 of 24,651
A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas - 7/10

As absurd and hilarious as always. NPH nailed it in this one and had me laughing hard over and over. But oh how I wish they'd stop with the 3D soon.

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #9,568 of 24,651
^I felt they tried way too hard to be funny.  I agree about the whole 3-D thing.  The White Castle was effortless comedy and the whole theater, including myself was laughing on the brink of risking a stomach hernia.

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #9,569 of 24,651
3D is here to stay hopefully. Feel sorry for those that get headaches though but it´s not like 3D will take over or anything so it shouldn´t be a threat to anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back