Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 13, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #9,481 of 24,645
Halfway through the new Pirates of the Carribean now. Nice scenery but I don't have the attention span for this...kind of like watching someone else play a video game. Giving them all a 6 for the set design.

Jan 14, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #9,482 of 24,645
^ That's how I felt as well, at least it was better than the latest Transformers debacle.

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #9,483 of 24,645

Quote:
Guess what.  It was a Disney movie.  That ruined it for me too.  There were some nice elements, scenes and themes but just too much syrup.  Waaay too much.

That's one reason I avoided it. I'll admit that I made some bad jokes about how the story might end. I figured the Horse would take a cannonball to save 1000 soldiers or end up saving it's master in some dramatic way. I haven't seen the movie, so it's probably wrong to guess.

Have you seen "Secretariat"? I thought Disney would sugar-coat that entire movie, but I actually liked that movie and prefer it to "Seabiscuit". I think my favorite horse movie is "The Black Stallion" though.

BTW for anyone that wants to watch an impressive animal movie, watch "Old Partner". It got a US release:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3qFI59wGHY

It's about an 80 year old man who had an ox for over 30 years and it lived to be 40 years old!

Jan 14, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #9,484 of 24,645
Hannah - 6.25/10

This is going to sound weird, but I both loved and hated many things about this. On one hand it's fairly original and during parts of the movie it felt so different than the usual Hollywood garbage and like I was watching some foreign film (just the directing style). Hated it at first, but then it got a little bit more interesting and even had a couple funny parts.

Cinematography was the best thing about it, but it tried way too hard to be stylish and the annoying soundtrack didn't always work. What I got sick of is how it seemed to be one murder right after the other over and over. It's almost as if by the end they couldn't come up with a good ending. Didn't really like the tone of the movie. Kind of a downer for me. This is one movie that has such a stupid ending that it ruins my overall impression of the movie.

For me the movie was not very fun to watch and more like a chore to watch. Not very entertaining. It makes no sense, but the only scenes I liked were when Hannah was with the people traveling in the RV.

Acting is good enough and it's a nice looking movie, but just didn't care for it. It's weird because halfway though I was pretty sure it would be worth buying on blu-ray, but then it kept going downhill.

BTW has anyone seen "Princess and the Warrior"? Stupid title for a very good german film. While watching Hannah I kept being reminded of Tom Tykwer's movies. Not sure why. Maybe "Run Lola Run" has a few similarities?

Here's a trailer:

Jan 14, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #9,488 of 24,645
Quote:
Guess what.  It was a Disney movie.  That ruined it for me too.  There were some nice elements, scenes and themes but just too much syrup.  Waaay too much.

I watched the trailer, and when it was Disney it was a turn off because i saw where he had to edit some action parts that would of been good otherwise.

Unleashed- 7.7/10

Kinda good movie, interesting plot. Some parts made me kinda re-think how people treat others.

Jan 14, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #9,489 of 24,645
American Beauty - 9/10
Brilliant film. The characters are so amazing, and the ending is excellent. The only thing I didn't like is when Ricky brings up his "clients." It just felt corny when he was like "Oh... my locksmith client gave me this key" and "Oh... my other client gave me so-and-so." This is my second time seeing it. Original rating: 8/10

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #9,491 of 24,645

Quote:
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 9/10

Superb cast with a standout performance from Gary Oldman. I did not want it to end.

Omg, Gary Oldman!  He's something else, makes me want to watch the Professional now.

From a purely entertainment perspective w/o any critical analysis I enjoyed Hidalgo as a horse movie.

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #9,492 of 24,645

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Superb cast with a standout performance from Gary Oldman. I did not want it to end.

Omg, Gary Oldman!  He's something else, makes me want to watch the Professional now.

From a purely entertainment perspective w/o any critical analysis I enjoyed Hidalgo as a horse movie.

I've always found Oldman's subsequent roles as a villain a caricature of his character in The Professional. Mr Smiley as an antagonist would be infinitely more menacing than the psychopaths he's portrayed in the past.

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #9,493 of 24,645
Quote:

Agreed...

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #9,495 of 24,645

Quote:

I've always found Oldman's subsequent roles as a villain a caricature of his character in The Professional. Mr Smiley as an antagonist would be infinitely more menacing than the psychopaths he's portrayed in the past.

He probably was from Karla's perspective.  Have you seen this one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back