Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 8, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #9,437 of 24,653

Quote:
Looks like the writer was the director...  ouch!!

Actually some of the most renowned films in history are such.  The French consider anything less to be 'Hollywood'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auteur_theory

Got dragged to Tin Tin.  Glad I did!  8.7/10.  Much better than the trailer.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 9/10.  If you can't spell CIA or find Prague on a map don't waste your time.  Recommended for Cold War and IR buffs.

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #9,438 of 24,653
Looking forward to actually seeing this.

Quote:
Actually some of the most renowned films in history are such.  The French consider anything less to be 'Hollywood'.

Got dragged to Tin Tin.  Glad I did!  8.7/10.  Much better than the trailer.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 9/10.  If you can't spell CIA or find Prague on a map don't waste your time.  Recommended for Cold War and IR buffs.

Jan 8, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #9,439 of 24,653

Have been hanging out for this one.. can't wait

Jan 8, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #9,440 of 24,653

"Contagion" [7.5/10]: I liked the movie, I guess. It was done in an almost documentary style. Can't say that I thought that there was anything new here. Performances were kind of low key. I didn't feel that emotional attachment to the characters that is kind of essential in a movie like this...

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #9,441 of 24,653

Quote:

No, that's not what I meant.  He said

Quote:
"One of those movies, like Angelina Jolie's "wanted"  that had a great concept and could have been waaaaay better in someone else's hands.

Which has to hurt because it was in the hands of the person who created the concept!  Not realizing your own concept is....well...not exactly the artist's dream come true
wink.gif
  I think that phenomenon could be called "pulling a George Lucas"
tongue.gif

I agree, a lot of great films are directed and even produced by the writer.  Terrance Malick is one of my favorite filmmakers.  At the same time, I don't think it's required by any means, I think you can be great at telling a story visually but not very good at writing the words. 

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #9,447 of 24,653
The Ascent. 8.5/10. Knew about but never did see it till one particular headfi-er mentioned it in this very thread. But no Laughing Graving for you.

Certainly sad and emotional. Crimea, don't give me "I have a masters in film studies," though (edit: here's lookin' at you, online reviewers).  I'm not sure I want to see it again for any reason. 

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #9,448 of 24,653

Quote:

I agree, a lot of great films are directed and even produced by the writer...... At the same time, I don't think it's required by any means, I think you can be great at telling a story visually but not very good at writing the words. 

Absolutely.  Most should never attempt such a feat.  It takes a special breed which many are not (eg. Lucas).  Another is the guy who keeps making Underworld movies to cash in on his wife.  For some reason, Kate Beckinsale in tight latex works for me so I don't mind.  
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #9,450 of 24,653

Quote:
Transformers Dark Side of the Moon

2/10

Felt like I was watching a saturday morning cartoon.  At least those would end after 20 minutes!

That's a bit generous in my opinion.  The point where that movie pushed me over the edge was when Nimoy's character utters that famous quote from Star Trek II, using it in a comepletely pointless and nonsensical way.  That among other things get a .5/10 rating from me.  I rather watch another Paul Anderson Resident Evil flick before I watch another Bay Transformers movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back