Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Sep 7, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #8,701 of 24,652

Quote:
Really liked the "The Cove". The man in the movie actually was in another short-series on Animal Planet called "Blood Dolphins". I missed a few episodes of it. I'm also a huge fan of "Whale Wars" on TV. I'm hoping next year they will not have a Season 5 if you know what I mean. The best way to watch the series is to get the boxed set or download the seasons on Itunes etc. BTW if you don't know about it, it's a reality show about a group of volunteers that try to stop illegal whaling.

Another movie I love is called "Kekexili: Mountain Patrol". It's about illegal poaching in Tibet and not a documentary. Here's a trailer:

I also can't take watching animal suffering. I made the mistake years ago watching an undercover video of the fur trade in China. One of the most disturbing videos I've ever seen. I'm not against eating animals for food, but hate factory farming and how animals are treated in the food industry. Makes me not want to go to KFC or eat fast food.

Love documentaries about the food we eat and the food industry. Liked "Food Inc" as well as "King Korn" and "The Truth about Farmer John". I also need to watch the new movie "Forks over Knives" which just came out. Seems hard to find locally.

Seems like an old movie, i may have to look at a few more clips before i download it. "Food Inc" we actually watch at school nowadays along with that McD's documentary as well. Ill have to watch those other similar ones.

Quote:
Its great to see others who feel similarly about The Cove.

In regard to the death scenes, imo they were disturbing but not excessive. They used what was needed to drive home the gruesome reality of the situation, and not much more. As a viewer I was definitely troubled by those scenes, and in the end it was something that I probably needed to see. It was less about the producers cashing in on the violence or manipulating the viewer, rather than showing the truth in as non-abstract a manner as possible.

Very true, i do like they show the raw clips from where the police want them out of their, and people keeping an eye on them at night time so that they wern't getting video of what was going on.

Quote:
Quote:

lol, I was just making observation, wasn't suggesting anything. Not that there is anything wrong with underwear models being superheroes (especially if they are female of course). 
wink.gif

Just caught The Cove on Netflix as well. It was very well made documentary, reminded me of the Michael Moore types but more touching. It was really, really sad.  Not just because of the slaughtering of the dolphins, but the tragedy of his human realization. That everything he worked and built up for was wrong and how he's making his life goal to reverse it. What they're doing there is practically genocide and those fishermen are nothing but nazis. Rated - 8/10.

Especially the ones that take huge trawler's and kill them. Its very sad, and i like in the few documentary's ive seen and movies, how animals,etc made humans; and without them we would not be alive.

Quote:

Found it kind of funny about how in Taji (where Cover was filmed) you can watch Dolphins perform at an aquarium, but also order dolphin meat to eat while you do so. I don't know if this is really true or not. I'm not against killing animals for food, but geeez, couldn't they have at least come up with a more humane way to kill those dolphins? If you think that's bad, the way they kill whales is even worse from what I've heard. I think it was that some whales take over 15 minutes to die...

I think if I had to pick any meat not to eat, it'd be Chicken. Mainly due to their living conditions. Crammed into a tiny cage with no sun and so fat that they can't even stand up. Years ago I always used to laugh at all these "stupid" vegetarians, but then I finally became one out of nowhere. Last thing I'd ever think would happen. It's weird because my whole family has always hunted and my brother has been a butcher for nearly 20 years. Being a vegetarian is so easy, but being a vegan..not sure If I could manage.

I guess my point is, is that I'd be ok eating meat if animals were treated better and killed in a more humane way.

BTW have you see that video where millions of male baby chicks are put into a grinder? I guess this is a normal practice and best way to dispose of them fast. I never would have known...

I know, you kinda look at meat a different way. Its really sad, all those baby chickens.

Sep 7, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #8,702 of 24,652
We're the only species on Earth that gets to chose, on an individual basis, whether or not to consume the flesh of other animals.

Sep 7, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #8,703 of 24,652
Your Highness - 4/10

There were two reasons I wanted to see this film: The trailer had offered the potential of hilarity; Zooey Deschanel. The movie failed on the former, and although the film succeeded in the latter, the latter let me down, slightly. I think this type of film doesn't allow the actors to 'shine', which disappoints me. Viewed as light background entertainment it's not terribly bad; viewed as a feature length comedy adventure film it's a tad so-so.

Sep 7, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #8,704 of 24,652

Quote:
^ Yeah excellent, although it was irritating to see Ken Takakura again playing such a similar role in Black Rain.

Anyone seen the Ken Takakura film called "Poppoya Railroad man"? It won Best Film at the Japanese Academy Awards in 2000.
I've been wanting to see it forever but it's so hard to find. I just ordered an original DVD from Hong Kong of it. There was a trusted company that was selling it on Amazon Marketplace.

I also like the films of Ken Ogata. Last good one with him was "A Long Walk". The Japanese release has english subtitles, but it's kind of tough to watch. "Vengeance is Mine" is supposed to be his best movie.

Here's a useful list I found of all the Japanese Academy Award winners:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Academy_Prize_%28film%29

I also suggest "Swallowtail Butterfly", "Swing Girls" and "Twilight Samurai". I'm also a huge fan of the director Yuji Nakae from Okinawa who directed "Hotel Hibiscus" and "Nabbie's Love". Both are on blu-ray with english subtitles and play on US players! His latest movie looks really bizarre and sadly it has no english subtitles.

Korean and Hong Kong releases are nice because 99% of the time they are subtitled in English. With Japanese imports you never know without a little work..BTW did you know that Amazon.co.jp ships outside Japan? Too bad Japanese Region 2 releases are so expensive.

Love having a region free player
regular_smile%20.gif
You know what I find funny? DVD and Blu-ray prices in the UK seem dirt cheap compared to US prices...no fair! Could have sworn I got the UK "Assembly" blu-ray for around $13USD. That's a must see Chinese war movie.

Every year I like to buy a ton of HK imports (originals). I like a place called "DDDhouse". Yesasia is faster but more expensive.

Sorry for the long tell..as you can tell I love watching Asian films. Wish I could see more of them, but it's such an expensive hobby and I won't download them.

Sep 7, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #8,705 of 24,652

Quote:
We're the only species on Earth that gets to chose, for the most part, whether we consume the flesh of other animals.

True.

Not to rag too much on commercial fishermen, but I have know many who feel it is their God given right to fish "their" species to extinction, and this based supposedly on a tradition, that is not much more than habitual use. The fisherman in The Cove fit into the same mode.

Sep 7, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #8,706 of 24,652

Quote:

Not to rag too much on commercial fishermen, but I have know many who feel it is their God given right to fish "their" species to extinction, and this based supposedly on a tradition, that is not much more than habitual use. The fisherman in The Cove fit into the same mode.

No they're worse.  Them and their fishing/whaling industry are slime suckers and human refuse.  They make big tobacco look good.  How a highly evolved, modern and respectful society like Japan allows them to continue for sake of a few Yen while poisoning their own people is beyond comprehension.  Btw, I think South Park really nailed it on the head.  

Have to be careful, we should probably create a separate thread in the lounge or something.

Sep 8, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #8,709 of 24,652
Winter in Wartime - 9.5/10

I'm usually really picky, but I liked pretty much everything about this movie. There was maybe a couple things they could have done differently.

Reminded me of an easier to watch version of "The Ascent" in some areas. That's a really good B&W russian World War II movie.

Sep 8, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #8,710 of 24,652

Quote:

No they're worse.  Them and their fishing/whaling industry are slime suckers and human refuse.  They make big tobacco look good.  How a highly evolved, modern and respectful society like Japan allows them to continue for sake of a few Yen while poisoning their own people is beyond comprehension.  Btw, I think South Park really nailed it on the head.  

Have to be careful, we should probably create a separate thread in the lounge or something.

Honestly what he does is nothing worse then what the average McDonalds salesman serve. What about banning burgers altogether :)

Sep 8, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #8,711 of 24,652
Just saw Cowboys & Aliens with my father. I won't rate it out of ten because my brother won't venture watching movies anymore based on their Rotten Tomatoes score- which I think is a sad trend these days, but that's just my personal bent- although, I IMBd movies all the time & would be lying if I said the average rating didn't affect my expectations. I will say that the movie's opening intrigued me enough to keep me rapt for the first half hour or so & then slowly lost me to a point where it was still enjoyable but I was aware that I was watching a Hollywood Blockbuster (or maybe I was just tired). My father loved it. Aw heck, I'm a hypocrite afterall- 6.5/10 :D

Sep 8, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #8,714 of 24,652

Quote:
Honestly what he does is nothing worse then what the average McDonalds salesman serve. What about banning burgers altogether :)

That's a ridiculous troll comment.  You obviously haven't even seen the movie or know wth you are talking about.  I suppose you are equating ground beef washed in ammonia to consuming Lead and Mercury.  Brilliant.

Sep 8, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #8,715 of 24,652
just saw the documentary, "Get Lamp" by Jason Scott - the editing is not great, and the soundtrack is terrible, but the subject matter withstands both assaults on the viewer - I still recommend that people interested in the history of computing and of gaming check it out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back