Rate The Last Movie You Watched
May 23, 2011 at 6:06 AM Post #7,966 of 24,648

Quote:
More like it's a good series of movies if you haven't read the books period.  Otherwise it's naught but a pale imitation.

And that epilogue was just fanservice for the fangirls. :p

I read all the books and I'll disagree.'
tongue.gif

Seeing some of the action or dramatic scenes in action was satisfying, if you don't take the details too seriously.
biggrin.gif

And yeah, I agree... which probably sadly means the epilogue will be in its fullest glory.

May 23, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #7,967 of 24,648

Quote:

I read all the books and I'll disagree.'
tongue.gif

Seeing some of the action or dramatic scenes in action was satisfying, if you don't take the details too seriously.
biggrin.gif

And yeah, I agree... which probably sadly means the epilogue will be in its fullest glory.

There simply different things; can't compare the books with the movie, that's no contest.

But I'm still happy those movies are made

May 23, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #7,968 of 24,648
Well, while the movies weren't bad, my biggest problem with them is how they almost entirely cut out the "school" part of the books and focused instead on romance and action.  Which is fine, I guess, since movies usually shouldn't be lord of the rings extended version-long, but the problem is that some people have only watched the movies and think that this is "harry potter," when really, it's not much more than an aside for fans of the book...they simply pale in comparison to them, in every way.

With that said, the first and second movies, to me, were the best, since they removed the least from the books.  But those books were also the shortest, so go figure.

May 23, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #7,969 of 24,648
It Happened One Night - 9.5/10

I skipped watching this forever and now I don't know why. It's a near perfect movie and very funny.
If you have $30 to spend, get the "Premiere Frank Capra Collection" (it includes this movie). It's on Amazon and it'll be the best $30 you've ever spent on a movie, trust me on that.
It comes with five movies including "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington".

May 23, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #7,971 of 24,648
Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Somewhere - 7/10
Sofia Coppola has nice style.  The film wasn't doing much at the beginning but I enjoyed the development of Johnny Marco  as the movie progressed.

I watched that too and rather enjoyed it. You know, her spartan style is obviously influenced by the great Michelangelo Antonioni, auteur of films such as L'Avventura, The Passenger, Blow-up, etc. She should stretch a little more or risk becoming the Woody Allen of affluenza. Not that that is entirely bad. If it's her muse, then so be it. Myself, I would love to see her tackle a psychological horror number, like say The Devil Housewife's Ennui in Jet Set Monte Carlo. I'm trademarking that title btw. Don't use it! 7/10

May 23, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #7,972 of 24,648
La Collectionneuse. Solid 6/10. This is probably better than some of the other stuff I've rated down here in the 6's. . . .I like My Night at Maud's quite a bit more, but there's still quality here.

May 24, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #7,974 of 24,648

The Housemaid...6/10

A korean film that is a remake of the 1960 movie of the same name. A timid housemaid joins the household of a very rich family and promptly has an affair with the man of the house. The lady of the house and her mother quickly find out and plot her exit, all over a slow, gorgeously shot 2 hours.

This movie is confused about what it wants to be...a dark thriller, a satire, I'm not really sure. It's a really slow burn with some extremely well done direction and cinematography, the only real redeeming qualities to be found. The ending comes out of left field with a Park Chan-Wook style in-your-face bit of shocking imagery, but it falls flat because it just happens in the last 2 minutes of the movie...no explanation whatsoever.

May 24, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #7,975 of 24,648
Taste of Cherry. 7.75/10. Where it loses points: It's slow, its scenery isn't exactly pretty, and I'm not a fan of self-reference in movies. It can be effective, sure (Matzor), but I don't really like it in Taste of Cherry.

Taste of Cherry. It's interesting; its story is tight and clean, though its pacing is slow -- patient is more apt; its main character is well-acted; it's strait forward enough; it has aged well and it should continue to do so.

May 25, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #7,979 of 24,648

Quote:
It wasn't that bad.

No it wasn't.  My expectations of the cast, crew, director and story were not remotely met.  Thank goodness for Tom Hardy and the special effects.  Looking forward to seeing him as Bane.  One of the best acting talents out there atm IMO.

May 25, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #7,980 of 24,648

Quote:
No it wasn't.  My expectations of the cast, crew, director and story were not remotely met.  Thank goodness for Tom Hardy and the special effects.  Looking forward to seeing him as Bane.  One of the best acting talents out there atm IMO.

My biggest problem was just that it was a big jumble of action for the whole time, with too many hard cuts from one scene to the next, kind of breaking up the continuity sometimes.  To me, that's just a sign of bad direction.  Not to mention the ending was endlessly infuriating...

But the concept was pretty interesting, and some of the ideas in it were quite fresh, and it was a rather exciting new take on the "blockbuster summer movie" trend that generally involves mindless shoot'em up action/endless sex + annoyingly flat relationships.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back