Rate The Last Movie You Watched
May 15, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #7,937 of 24,644
Just watched The King's Speech again. Still really good. 9/10. The acting was just so good all around, and the cinematography superb.

May 15, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #7,938 of 24,644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'll chalk it up to distracted, poor frame of mind home viewing.  
tongue.gif
  I actually notice this a lot when I or others watch films at home, not saying this is the case here, lol.  I assume it's not still in theaters in HI.  At the very least Natalie Portman was phenomenal.  Mila Kunis was the best I've ever seen her.  Slight double entendre hehe.

Well...Natalie Portman's performance was good and maybe one of her best, but not Oscar worthy nor a breakthrough. It still felt like watching Natalie Portman as a ballerina than Nina the character. Wasn't involving enough for me. Definitely not a movie that I'll have an urge to watch again. 

Her best work IMO was when she was younger circa Leon The Professional.

May 15, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #7,939 of 24,644

Quote:
I'll chalk it up to distracted, poor frame of mind home viewing.  
tongue.gif
  I actually notice this a lot when I or others watch films at home, not saying this is the case here, lol.  I assume it's not still in theaters in HI.  At the very least Natalie Portman was phenomenal.  Mila Kunis was the best I've ever seen her.  Slight double entendre hehe.

Anyway, I believe the Oscar race has officially begun:

Incendies-9.7/10

Astonishing story that sucks you in and grips you the entire movie.  Well done!  I knocked 3/10ths off at the end for subjective reasons.  

Actually home viewing is for me the prefered format--but of course timing and environment are important. Black Swan is on my Netflix list, and I guess I'll probably end up watching Incendies. 

May 16, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #7,940 of 24,644
Just finished watching Canadian Bacon. The film is about a failing president who attempts to boost his popularity by creating a fictional war between the US and Canada. Extremely funny movie even though its a Michael Moore flick. The film stars John Candy, Kevin Pollak, and Alan Alda and features some good cameos such as Dan Aykroyd. Overall an 8.5 out of 10

May 16, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #7,941 of 24,644
Heartless

I was surprised by this movie. I didn't expect much, but it was one of the more genuinely freaky movies I've seen lately. Some of it really irked me, although the ending was a little odd.

8/10 I would say.

May 16, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #7,942 of 24,644
TRON: Legacy - 8.2/10

I really enjoyed this. Some parts were a bit slow, but it was pretty well made for the most part and the soundtrack is excellent. It was very Terminator-like. Perhaps my favorite video game adaption movie ever. 

May 17, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #7,943 of 24,644
Today was a "bad" movie night. Worst possible selection of movies ever. These are what I've viewed in the last few days. Hard to believe.

Ernest Goes to Camp - 6.5/10

I needed a funny/stupid movie to pass the time. Found many scenes of this actually kind of funny! I believe Jim Varney died a few years ago and I think it's safe to say he had quite a successful career. I haven't seen this movie since I was 9 and I still remember most everything in the movie. Please don't tell me it's stupid! Of course it is! I remember long ago accidentally taping this off TV over my brother's VHS tape of Robocop 2 and he about killed me!!

Jurassic Park - 6.75/10

To me this is just like a theme park thrill ride and not much else. The soundtrack is way overdone and I disliked most of the characters. It's too bad that Samuel L. Jackson was the most interesting character in the movie. I remember when I first saw this, the group of people I was with were just raving about this non-stop. On the second viewing I didn't like it, but now I've seen it a half a dozen times and still don't like it all that much. For what it is, it's not horrible. BTW the DVD sounds pretty good on a home theater system!

Over the Top - 7.5/10

Am I crazy? Believe it or not I thought this was just a stupid arm wrestling movie before seeing it, but it's really not. I found nearly the entire movie quite entertaining. The worst scenes were those involving arm wrestling. For being arm wrestling scenes, I guess they're ok. The last one went on FOREVER. There is also quite a lot of really cheesy parts and some bad dialogue ("You can use my shoulder as a pillow if you want!"), but it's not too bad. I find it amusing how "Dutch" was almost a complete rip-off of this movie! I've seen "Dutch" about a million times.

BTW Over the Top > The Expendables .. just saying
biggrin.gif

I'm also a huge fan of "Cliffhanger" which is a near perfect action film to me. I guess I like Renny Harlin movies because "Die Hard 2" is another favorite.

Today I saw Wal-Mart selling Papillion for $5! If you come across that it's a must see. Love that movie and it's one that seems to go on forever, but I like every minute of it. I also saw my local Red Box renting "Breakdown". I'm hoping that got a new DVD release, but probably not. I hope it'll get a blu-ray release sometime.

May 17, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #7,944 of 24,644
Fast Five - 9/10: Still can't best the first film, but man it got close. They did a great job with this one, and Dwayne Johnson was a good choice for this series. Looking forward to see where it goes from here.

@tdock

Over the Top is an awesome movie. I laughed through most of it because it was so cheesy, but it was really fun to watch. Never thought I'd enjoy anything involving arm wrestling.

May 17, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #7,946 of 24,644

Thor is a tough movie to rate. One has to account for their blood comic book movie level. After all, it was only my second sip of colored panel cinema this year after The Green Hornet, and there are a line-up of shots on the way; many also origin stories no less, the likes of Green Lantern (the trailer is dreadful), Captain America (looks cool), X-Men First Class (Vaughn, Fassbender, McAvoy, and Lawrence have my tepid attention). So could an original impression be altered after such a deluge? Maybe it is best to simply write more specifically about Thor. Sorry about that. Newsprint flicks all seem so damn samey, separated like tequila makes to a palette glazed over after midnight. 4/10

BTW this just in, Paramount will print money this summer. Their tent pole lineup will consist of the already successful Thor,  then Super 8, Kung Fu Panda 2, Captain America, and Transformers 3. That’s four guaranteed big openings and one buzzed about original property in Super 8, which was directed by JJ Abrams and produced by Spielberg. Surely, that can’t hurt. It should also be common knowledge since it would be impossible to overlook the bold proclamation dressed upon the one sheet.  

May 17, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #7,947 of 24,644
Fanny and Alexander: TV version. 10/10. It's been a while since I've seen the theatrical version. The TV version is definitely superior, going off memory. It's five hours long. It pays significantly more consideration to the reality of the two kids, especially Alexander. A nice way to top Bergman's career off and definitely recommended to any of his fans. Fans of Pan's Labyrinth and the like would also appreciate the TV version, I think.

White Heat. 9/10. It's James Cagney! And he's playing a gangster! Can't go wrong there.

May 18, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #7,948 of 24,644

So this came out in 2010 a fourth in the series as Milla Jovovich as a superhuman sexy killing machine. The look on the DVD case reminded me of the look at times in the eyes of my x-wife. Glad she didn't have those handguns!

Critics didn't groove to this one but fans are making it a hit. What else do you want from this type of flick? I give it 10/10!
Great detail, they used the effects when needed. The music was great. We are not going to have top rate acting in this trash but what do you want? Huh? Stuff to blow up, planes to crash, guns to go off and shoot wades of coins! You got it here, so go get the movie, turn it up and disturb your neighbors.

May 18, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #7,949 of 24,644
Well now...

You have to understand that I'm not any kind of sports fan, but I loved this one.

"Looking For Eric"

Very English. Ken Loach gritty stuff. Unspoilery summary, Postman's (Mail Carrier's) life utterly utterly sucks as only Ken Loach can do. Gets help from imaginary Eric Cantona.

Not much of a football (soccer) fan either, but Cantona at Manchester United really was awesome. French too. With a heavy accent and a weirdly intellectual bent unusual in normally double-figure IQ footballers (go and Google Wayne Rooney for what passes for a Man U star these days...)

When he first arrived, memorably misquoted because of his accent by an interviewer (this may be apocryphal) asking what he liked in his spare time, and apparently namechecking a book / early Stallone movie involving a town getting on the wrong side of a loner Green Beret.

Eric had said he was a fan of (the poetry of Arthur) Rimbaud...

But anyway, in another thing I dislike, sportsmen getting into movies, Eric is just himself, quiet, very charismatic and near Yoda-ish, but without putting a foot wrong. And this is in the midst of a cast of mostly unknown actors who are all completely excellent.

I can't recommend this highly enough.

Fin. (But nothing to do with trawlers....)

May 19, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #7,950 of 24,644
The Mechanic - 8/10

Really liked this one a lot. It didn't bother me, but this is one of the more graphic action movies I've seen in awhile. The level of violence reminded me of 'Running Scared (2006)" and "Death Sentence". At least this movie was a lot more fun to watch. Those were too dark and depressing and I didn't enjoy any of them if I remember right.

BTW I liked the ending, but one part wasn't very believable. What moron would think someone couldn't hear gas spilling all over the ground while they're sitting inside the car?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back