Dec 2, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #5,041 of 24,641
Star Trek (On Blu Ray
wink.gif
) - 9/10 Damn good movie I thought.

Dec 2, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #5,043 of 24,641
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Twilight" - 9/10

Paul Newman leads an all star cast in a modern noir L.A. murder mystery. IMHO, Newman was the best and most credible of the flawed, older Hollywood PI's. Great production, casting, dialogue and pacing seat "Twilight" at the top of its genre. Was that Susan Sarandan in her birthday suit? Recommended.

ooooh my god!

I was going to flame you to death for giving the teen vampire movie Twilight 9/10 but thankfully it wasn´t that
tongue.gif

Paul Newman/Susan Sarandon is pretty impossible not to like. Particularly Susan Sarandon is incredible skilled.

Last movie seen here is Little Miss Sunshine and the Woodsman

Little miss sunshine is 11/10 Absolutely perfection.

The Woodsman 9/10
Kevin Bacon is excellent and feels like a real person. No demonization.

Dec 2, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #5,044 of 24,641
I know not a movie, just watched pilot of Lost. God awful.

1) Handsome bloke who's a doctor and had some pilot lessons, what a coincendence both useful. Oh and a natural leader to boot.
2) Just as he's about to patch himself up, a woman (who's hot as well) shows up. uggh. Could at least have a fat ugly woman who's a seamstress. Pretty much wants to have his children within 30 seconds.
3) And they land on Jurassic Island. Or maybe King Kong island.
4) Why did the weedy bloke get caught on on the weeds? Couldn't at least once show Mr Fantastic trip up and land face first into a cow pat?
5) Girl screams "JACK!" Like she loves him. Why she would shout like that when T. Rex or something is after them is pretty retarted. Ok that ties in with stupid love at first sight, maybe should have used the cheesy love music soundtrack when they met.
6) And the look the girl gives Mr Fantastic after they were seperated. Vomit.
7) The long shot of pilot and the window. Wait wait wait...ah yes grabbed through the window.

hmm JJ Abrams, writer of Armageddon. That explains it. Maybe should have teamed up with M.Bay, have a 18 wheeled truck firing rockets boom crash, F-16 ker-plowlee scene.

Dec 4, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #5,049 of 24,641
Star Trek, the 2009 movie. Just watched it about a week ago.

I'd give it 3/4 stars. It was a good, likable movie, but there were some definite nagging problems. The plot overall seemed to have pretty good structure and I enjoyed following it, but I felt that it failed to properly build up to the climax. The suspense seemed very flat throughout the movie, then suddenly peaked at the climax, dulling the overal effect of that climax, making it seem somewhat anticlimactic. I also think the dialog could've been written better.

I did like the factual accuracy at least. There are points where obviously the movie couldn't make real scientific sense for what it was proposing, having to stick to what Star Trek is. But it was pretty obvious the writers at least did some research, beyond Googling a word and using the first description that comes up like most blockbuster movie writers seem to do. But I think even this was dulled at times by the dialog surrounding it, for instance when (spoiler: highlight to read) they exclaimed the 'alternate reality' coincidental aspect of time travel, something that I think anyone who grasps any understanding of time travel at all wouldn't treat in such a way. I think the dialog implied that the writer responsible overthought what reality even is and in turn just horribly failed to represent a proper reaction that you'd expect to see.

But aside from the issue of sometimes subpar dialog which tended to make the actors look as though they weren't executing it well, the acting was quite good. Certainly overall it was believable and enjoyable, and felt natural throughout most of the movie.

And of course, the special effects were top-notch.

Dec 4, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #5,050 of 24,641
Here's a drinking game suggestion. Take one chug for every lens flare spotted in the latest Star Trek

--

Fantastic Mr. Fox
! What a letdown. I'm not the biggest Anderson fan but can get on board well enough . I think I'd rather watch live actors deadpan instead. There were some neat visual flourishes. 4/10

Dec 5, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #5,051 of 24,641
The League Of Extrodinary Gentlemen. Helluva a good movie. Considering when it was made, the animation wasn't the best but i can handle it since it was made in 2001 ( i think). Confusing at one part but other than that it was truly a helluva movie.

Dec 5, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #5,055 of 24,641
Goodbye Solo - 7.5/10

One of the oddest, sad, humorous and heartwarming buddy films you're likely to see concerns a friendly, fast-talking Senegalese cabdriver in North Carolina, who picks up a crotchety old guy who's getting his affairs in order. They make a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back