Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Apr 2, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #1,081 of 24,645
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford 9.5/10

Some people might call this movie slow but it isn't. It's paced. The characters speak slowly, all the scenes are set-up properly, all of the characters are introduced. It's the closest I've ever been to watching a movie that's like reading a book.

If you have the patience for long movies, this is highly recommended.

Apr 2, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #1,084 of 24,645
"The Dead Poets Society" 9/10 - DPS is a great film on so many levels. I attended an all-boys private high school, and even though this film is set in a different era, it definitely struck a chord with me. Robin Williams does a fantastic job of portraying free thinking teacher who inspires his students to take the road less traveled by. It is one of the few films that has changed my perspective of the world and I would bet I am not the only one to be moved in this manner. To say the least, Dead Poets Society is a must see.

Apr 2, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #1,086 of 24,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
'Across the Universe'. A must for Beatles' fan. Excellent film in the correlation of the times and the Fab Fours' music. Even better through some cans! (Grados) 5stars.

My girlfriend absolutely loves the beatles and absolutely hated this movie and many of my other friends had similar responses. I am not a big beatles fan, but I still didn't like the movie.

Apr 2, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #1,087 of 24,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford 9.5/10

Some people might call this movie slow but it isn't. It's paced. The characters speak slowly, all the scenes are set-up properly, all of the characters are introduced. It's the closest I've ever been to watching a movie that's like reading a book.

leftnose, I just saw 1949's I Shot Jesse James by Samuel Fuller. It's pretty interesting seeing the same story (in some cases same scenes) from an earlier perspective. Dated, but you may want to check it out.

Apr 2, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #1,088 of 24,645
Mystic River - 8.5/10

Had very high expectations which I don't think were met. Eastwood did a great job of course. The pacing was quite slow, but somehow in doing so it drew out the tension and did exactly what a drama should do - leave me on the edge of my seat. The ending was very "meh" - a bit of a let-down in an otherwise excellent movie.

Apr 2, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #1,089 of 24,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cashback: 5.5/10. A lot of gratuitous nudity

Dz is quickly becoming my favorite Head-fi reviewer! Like Kirosia, he/she quickly address what concerns me. Well done sir!

--

I got around to watching the first four episodes (PVR) of John Adams (7/10) last night. I knew it would suck me in like most HBO drama. The Wire is still my favorite. I'll place Rome second - how fun and juicy was that show? - with Sopranos in third. We'll see about JA.

Apr 2, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #1,090 of 24,645
Thanks, virometal. Let's continue reviewing then
biggrin.gif
. (I watch a lot of movies
tongue.gif
).

Thank You For Smoking: 8/10. Funny observation of a tobacco lobbyist with quirky characters. It's very satirical, but it does get you thinking. Aaron Eckhart is the embodiment of the perfect lobbyist, he acts out his role perfectly. And of course there's a small role for one of my favourites, Sam Elliott.

Apr 3, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #1,092 of 24,645
No Country For Old Men 5/10

Academy Award winner, Cohen Brothers film, Tommy Lee Jones.

I guess I'm too shallow, I didn't get it.

Apr 3, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #1,093 of 24,645
The Hulk: 1/10. Horrible. The acting is so atrocious you wouldn't believe it. The 'emotional' acting comes over really flat and doesn't convince. This is a real pity, since about 90% of the movie consists of 'emotional dialogue'... Furthermore, I can now say: I hate the Hulk. He's a *****. This film didn't entertain at all. Let's see if The Incredible Hulk (slated for the summer) is better. It can't be worse.

Apr 3, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #1,094 of 24,645
"21" Starring Kevin Spacey. A movie (based on real life events) about MIT students who count cards in Vegas and make boat loads of cash. I found it far too slow moving for me, in its direction. I hadn't read the book, but felt I knew what was going to happen from one moment to the next, and already knew the end before its drawn out conclusion.

It did NOT dazzle me at all. Quite meh. Spacey was Spacey though, so 4/10.

edit: oh and, I was wondering why Lawrence Fishburn was in this at all, until I realized that big names were needed to pimp the film. He was fine, but seemed like a waste of time and talent for the guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back