Rate The Last Movie You Watched
May 8, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #23,641 of 24,655
Metal lords 2022 net flix

like the lead story telling voice, like the drummer evolving to beast, like cello girl. just get me to the final rock off, sure some fun on the way, but this is not a serious flick in any way.

May 8, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #23,642 of 24,655
Still Walking - (8.3/10)

I'm on a binge of Koreeda's work since I like his style of filmmaking. This movie maybe the most highly rated of Hirokazu Koreeda? I personally cannot see why it is. I think his best regarded works are between this one and shoplifters, although I prefer Umimachi Diary over both. I think it's the optimism of Umimachi Diary I really like. It's likely his brightest toned movie. I think Koreeda excels at bright toned movies, but perhaps that's not what he's focused on.

I do think it's an interesting movie to watch. This movie is mainly focused around family dialog, and dialog is very well done.

Koreeda seems to be highly interested in family dynamics, and like to show different types of family dynamics. He's into unusual families (or not commonly represented), which is why it's so interesting, but he makes dialogs in a way that people get more out of the dialog due to it's realism. You feel like you are there.

Koreeda really excels at character developments. His characters are just great!

First half is quite interesting, and the interest declines leading to the end. But, this has more to do with how the story pans out.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #23,643 of 24,655
Belle (Ryû to sobakasu no hime) - Story: (5/10) Animation: (8.5/10)

Probably my least favorite of Hosoda's fiilms. Not much of a plot, and not much character development. First part of the movie really dragged on until you get the climax of the film, which isn't anything special. Some Beauty and Beast elements there, and have no idea why. Good looking animations that's about it. Too bad, I was looking forward to this, and this film tells me Hosoda is over-rated.

Ranking Hosoda films:

1. Wolf Children (good)
2. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (good)
3. The Boy and the Beast (ok)
4. Summer Wars (ok)
5. Mirai (boring)
6. Belle (story sucks)

He's little more than avg filmmaker at best. Over-hyped, which is why I watch them all and majority of them are not worth the time.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #23,644 of 24,655
Drive My Car - (6/10)

I was on a Japanese movie binge, and came upon this on the list of Japanese Film awards wiki. And made the mistake of actually watching it. This movie is boring, and pointless. Don't waste 3 hrs on it waiting for something to actually happen.

Just because it's an art flick doesn't mean it's sophisticated, but you can expect pretentious. I think most art flicks are just terrible excuses for being bad movies. Man, can't stand critics sometimes. They praise this garbage. They are just as pretentious as this film.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #23,645 of 24,655
Coda - (8.0/10)

After watching a wholesome Japanese movie, I watched a wholesome American flick. It's cute flick with an interesting prermise. A hearing kid that wants to sing within a death family. Sounds like a real fairytale, no? There some fun comedic moments in the movie, and overall pretty entertaining.

The acting is superb and I really like that they based it on setting that we hardly see on film. New England fishing town. The New England visuals are very good. The worn out house, etc... The lead actress is very charismatic. I'm shocked she's an English actress.

She has lots of charisma when she sings.

The movie was steered toward wholesome, so the story is something you commonly see. I wish there was more of real life complications that a hearing girl would face in a deaf family. There were some, but I wished there was more focus on that.

Coda is a screenplay based off of this original. This is a rare instance hollywood didn't make a much worse movie from the original

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #23,646 of 24,655
Just because it's an art flick doesn't mean it's sophisticated, but you can expect pretentious. I think most art flicks are just terrible excuses for being bad movies. Man, can't stand critics sometimes. They praise this garbage. They are just as pretentious as this film.

Kind of like headphone reviews. Some reviewers are all about female vocals and detail. Others have a symbiotic or parastic relationship with the companies and your wallet. I think you understand but then again youre complaining about how the critics influenced you into watching 3hours of garbage.

Ive not seen Drive My Car.

I like following the progression of your reviews @SilverEars. However I dont read most of them since I dont watch a lot of content and am uninterested.

———————————

New season of “Barry” looks like the last based on the events so far in these first two episodes. That’s not a spoiler but just a guess due to how fast the plot is moving and how arcs are starting to wrap up (or reach dead ends). Unfortunately the rush to what seems like the conclusion has lost some of the momentum in the buildup of the main characters. But the show is still very fun•ny. I expect this season will be great like the previouses because Bill Hader is a genius.

——————————

I watched and enjoyed a few episodes of I Love Lucy. Sure there is stuff that didnt age well but sometimes theyre funny and interesting because of retrospect. I might watch more from their greatest hits collection on Amazon.

May 9, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #23,647 of 24,655
Maborosi - (7/10)

I would give this movie 5/10 for being disinteresting, but there are worse movies out there. It's an art flick, and you search about this movie and there are discussion on shot compositions, and crap. It's that type of movie. I'm not into these kind of movies. It just for pleasing art critics.

This is Hirokazu Koreeda's directorial debut film, and he did an art flick style. I think this is your art school textbook flick when you come out of art school, and his style develops over time, and you get much more interesting films from him. Films that's unique to him. This film is not unique to him, but a generalized art flick. 'Still Walking' is unique to him. We are certain he had a lot of potential if we see his later releases. His films being personified of himself hasn't happened yet.

It's a film about grievances and it's quite boring.

Still, I enjoy his films. So, I will watch them all.

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #23,648 of 24,655
No spoilers: Went to watch Doctor Strange Multiverse of Madness. I don't watch trailers for the movies I am going to watch anyway (I don't need to be sold on the idea, since I have already made up my mind right?) nd try to avoid spoilers on the internet. With all of that, I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. There were some great MCU moments and overall I think it serves as a justified sequel to Doctor Strange 1. There is character growth and great world building for the next phase of MCU. Give it a watch if you are following MCU but don't expect Endgame or even No-way home level of excitement. 8/10

May 9, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #23,649 of 24,655
I would give this movie 5/10 for being disinteresting, but there are worse movies out there. It's an art flick, and you search about this movie and there are discussion on shot compositions, and crap. It's that type of movie. I'm not into these kind of movies. It just for pleasing art critics.
What? You don't enjoy cinematography? That seemed to be the main reason why you loved Tenet.

This is Hirokazu Koreeda's directorial debut film, and he did an art flick style. I think this is your art school textbook flick when you come out of art school, and his style develops over time, and you get much more interesting films from him. Films that's unique to him. This film is not unique to him, but a generalized art flick. 'Still Walking' is unique to him. We are certain he had a lot of potential if we see his later releases. His films being personified of himself hasn't happened yet.
Exactly. Preferences and perspective are built over time however you seem resistant to believing or acknowledging that your own opinions might evolve. Do you still love Tenet?

It's a film about grievances and it's quite boring.
Your review is a grievance.

Still, I enjoy his films. So, I will watch them all.
Really? You just said Maborsi was "disinteresting" and "5/10".

May 13, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #23,650 of 24,655
Umimachi Diary - (9/10)

Loved this movie and bought the DVD when it first came out. Hirokazu Koreeda is also my #1 favorite current director in the world right now.
I'll pretty much see anything he makes.

Strangely there is this small theater in the middle of nowhere here that plays every single one of his movies when they're released.
This is around in an area where almost zero subtitled movies are ever played. I think the owner must really like his movies or something!

My favorites movies from him are I Wish, Nobody Knows and Like Father, Like Son. A few of his films I could barely finish because I found them very boring somehow (After Life and Hana).

You might also like the films of Yuya Ishii. My favorites are Sawako Decides and Mitsuko Delivers. The trailers for those are pretty terrible though. The Great Passage is supposed to be his best film. The company "Third Window Films" has some good releases. DVDs are so much cheaper in the UK than the USA it seems! Yes, I still buy DVDs if I can't find the movie on a streaming service. It's too bad they're PAL format and region locked.

Have you heard of Shunji Iwai? His film "Swallowtail Butterfly" is one of the best films ever made and severely underrated. At the 1997 Japanese Academy Awards it got nominated for 7 awards. The singer Chara got nominated too and I don't believe she even had any acting experience before the movie. I'd suggest watching it if you can.

BTW I was just thinking you may like the films of Edward Yang too. Try "Yi Yi", which is pretty amazing but sort of slow.
His movies used to be so much harder to find. Criterion released Yi Yi on blu-ray I think.

One more suggestion.. "Peppermint Candy". That's the south korean film that got me hooked on films from that country.
It's directed by Lee Chang-Dong.

May 13, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #23,651 of 24,655
Loved this movie and bought the DVD when it first came out. Hirokazu Koreeda is also my #1 favorite current director in the world right now.
I'll pretty much see anything he makes.

Strangely there is this small theater in the middle of nowhere here that plays every single one of his movies when they're released.
This is around in an area where almost zero subtitled movies are ever played. I think the owner must really like his movies or something!

My favorites movies from him are I Wish, Nobody Knows and Like Father, Like Son. A few of his films I could barely finish because I found them very boring somehow (After Life and Hana).

You might also like the films of Yuya Ishii. My favorites are Sawako Decides and Mitsuko Delivers. The trailers for those are pretty terrible though. The Great Passage is supposed to be his best film. The company "Third Window Films" has some good releases. DVDs are so much cheaper in the UK than the USA it seems! Yes, I still buy DVDs if I can't find the movie on a streaming service. It's too bad they're PAL format and region locked.

Have you heard of Shunji Iwai? His film "Swallowtail Butterfly" is one of the best films ever made and severely underrated. At the 1997 Japanese Academy Awards it got nominated for 7 awards. The singer Chara got nominated too and I don't believe she even had any acting experience before the movie. I'd suggest watching it if you can.

BTW I was just thinking you may like the films of Edward Yang too. Try "Yi Yi", which is pretty amazing but sort of slow.
His movies used to be so much harder to find. Criterion released Yi Yi on blu-ray I think.

One more suggestion.. "Peppermint Candy". That's the south korean film that got me hooked on films from that country.
It's directed by Lee Chang-Dong.
I'm am very familiar with Shunji Iwai. My 2nd fav Japanese filmmaker under Koreeda. I like his style of cinematography. I really liked how he filmed 'April Story,' and the slice-of-life story. I like the optimistic toned slice-of-life films, and I'm mainly seen Japanese films that does well at it. I find them very therapeutic and relaxing to experience. You should check out 'Little Forest.' I was kinda blown away when I saw how this was filmed.

It's been awhile since I've seen 'Peppermind Candy' which is an acclaimed Korean flick. I think it is his best film IMO. I just really disliked 'Burning.' Same writer as 'Drive My Car.' Supposedly and acclaimed author with difficult to film stories. Which is probably why the films seems so odd.

A classic Korean flick I like is 'Attack the Gas Station.' Unusual, but fun.

When films like 'Pepperment Candy' came out was a great period of Korean cinema. Is it possible to get those types of koreran films these days? Likely not because it's likely tied to the culture at the time. There isn't Korean films like that anymore.

Failan from 2001. They don't make films like these anymore. These Korean flicks are so different from the optimistic Japanese flicks, but they have an interesting flavor about them in terms the events in them. The human interactions are bizarre and interesting.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #23,652 of 24,655
New Koreeda film, but the film is Korean? Koreeda is a Japanese director, but oddly, his newest film is Korean with Korean actors. Personally, I don't like the choice in the actors. I know Song Kang Ho is highly acclaimed and well recognized. IU is a highly regarded actress as well, but I'm not feeling it. I get a feeling that his film in Korean will not have the same feel as his Japanese films. Seems like this movie is marketing with well recognized actors. I prefer the Japanese actors that he works with in his films. They seem to fit his films really well.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #23,653 of 24,655
Killer man 2019 net flix

it’s a long convoluted semi authentic 70’s crime boss piece, where everyone’s always in a state of terror as everyone’s yelling always. A few dark moments of torture and brief car chase or fight scenes, can’t save this underperforming charecter acting and valiant anti hero attempt by Liam hemsworth though what could have been, that just wasn’t.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #23,654 of 24,655
I Wish - (8/10)

I enjoyed this one for the most part. I found it to drag in some parts, and the core theme not all that original, but Koreeda does it in his way, which is interesting. I would have liked it better if it was edited to be condensed into a shorter film.

There was some good comedic moment in the movie, and I was hoping for more of it. The first classroom scene was very entertaining, and I thought the movie was heading in a humorous direction until that died down after. Then toward the end, it picked up.

I especially l liked the classroom scenes, the nurse's office scene, the crush on the teacher scenes, and the old couple scenes. Those scenes made the movie better than a typical separated family movies. And these scenes shows how keen Koreeda is in thinking up something different and interesting. Also, how good he is with dialog.

Movies like 'Still Walking' and 'Umimachi Diaries,' I was engaged in it from start to finish. With this one, some parts dragged that I lost interest at some points. So, wasn't into the pacing of this film.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #23,655 of 24,655
The Northman (2/10)

This movie was terrible. Story line, acting, everything is pretty bad. Very loose interpretation of viking culture and I mean basically what a 10 year old year old tell you if asked what vikings were.

At least they could be historically accurate but that would require some effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back