Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 22, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #20,148 of 24,650
Born to be blue

Plot 6/10 - Rushed character development, and a predictable storyline. On the upside, it gave a non binary perspective on drug abuse.

Acting 9/10 - I felt Ejogo and Hawke were excellent, especially the latter. Despite his uncanny resemblance to Glenn Gould rather than Chet Baker, he portrayed the vulnerability and conflicted aspects of Chet Baker with uncontrived poignancy. His singing was also rather good, albeit dissimilar to the one and only Chet.

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #20,149 of 24,650
"Bridge Of Spies" [9.0/10]: I wanted to see this film in the theater, but I didn't manage to get to see it. Last week I DVR'd it from Showtime and watched it last night. I loved it. An engaging story that was both dramatic and emotional. Though it might have been a little bit too long, the acting was first rate (especially Mark Rylance who played Rudolf Abel...), Good film, highly recommended...

Jan 22, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #20,150 of 24,650
The Labyrinth - 9/10

Not much story here, but I loved how creative this was as well as all the puppets. Hoggle had better acting than a lot of real people!
I think during one scene they had 20 or more puppets going all at once.

Not a fan of David Bowie really, but he did OK here. A lot of the songs I had stuck in my head after the movie.
This is one that will put you in a good mood after you've watched it, which is really rare these days.

Not sure which puppet/character I liked the most. Maybe Sir Didymus (the fox terrier "Knight").

BTW it's too bad this one made only half it's budget back at the theater.

I really need to see the previous film that's similar to this called "The Dark Crystal".

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #20,152 of 24,650
Hidden Figures (2016)  6.5/10

I have had the book in my "To Read" queue for ages and I thought I would cheat on this one by catching the film. My impression is much like Sully this was a mistake. I have a couple of issues with this film and am dancing around how to present them without being labelled racist in some form or other. The first off is how light on the science and math the film actually is. It is far more about "the struggle" with some amusing moments added in to pander to those who would rather have gone to a Disney film instead. While it certainly was a trying time in America for "colored" people in the professions, the film somehow manages to almost make light of the awesome accomplishments these women made that allowed them to challenge the status quo and take their rightfull place among the best in their respective fields. Instead we get church picnics and a little too much exposition of personal lives here when in fact the story is how their professional lives and drives made them into role models they became. The film left me with a disturbing feeling that I was being shown a very white interpretation of how they would have liked those events to have played out rather than seeing the driven individuals perspective on those events.

A watchable film for sure simply for the history if you are unfamiliar with the story.... and yet...

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #20,153 of 24,650
Monty Python's The Meaning of Life - 4/10

I really just can't get into this type of humor. I think I only laughed once in this. How is that even possible?
I think for about 15 minutes I closed my eyes and took a short nap. This type of movie is probably capable of causing physical pain for me.
The only other movie like that is "Fight Club". No joke, and it's always during the same part of the movie.

Nope, I didn't find it offensive, but i'm sure many will!

I think I tried another Monty Python movie and turned that off too. This one I somehow finished.

I'm sure this is a favorite of many here!

BTW another movie with a strange/different sense of humor is Stephen Chow's "The Mermaid".
I really liked that one, but it's extremely weird. A lot of the humor makes me think something like "What the heck?".
I guess they call it nonsense humor? The only Stephen Chow movie I didn't like was "Shaolin Soccer".
I still have some of my DVD originals of his movies from when I went to Hong Kong in 2001. Someday i'd like to go back!
I must have shipped home like 200 DVDs (not bootlegs!).

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #20,154 of 24,650
  a very white interpretation of how they would have liked those events to have played out

Sounds like a capsule review of Dances With Wolves
biggrin.gif
 Historical revisionism at its finest...

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #20,155 of 24,650

Sounds like a capsule review of Dances With Wolves
biggrin.gif
 Historical revisionism at its finest...

I don't know if it's historical revisionism as much as social revisionism at hand here. It just left me unsettled.

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #20,156 of 24,650
  Monty Python's The Meaning of Life - 4/10

I really just can't get into this type of humor. I think I only laughed once in this. How is that even possible?
I think for about 15 minutes I closed my eyes and took a short nap. This type of movie is probably capable of causing physical pain for me.
The only other movie like that is "Fight Club". No joke, and it's always during the same part of the movie.

Nope, I didn't find it offensive, but i'm sure many will!

I think I tried another Monty Python movie and turned that off too. This one I somehow finished.

I'm sure this is a favorite of many here!

I wouldn't say it's a favourite of mine, but I rate it higher than you do apparently! If you don't get the humour though, I can imagine this would be a real slog. I wonder if it's down to the old transatlantic divide? British humour not generally playing well with an American audience... I guess there's a reason they remake shows like The Office with an American cast. Python is quintessentially British after all, and The Meaning of Life quintessentially Python.

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #20,157 of 24,650

I wouldn't say it's a favourite of mine, but I rate it higher than you do apparently! If you don't get the humour though, I can imagine this would be a real slog. I wonder if it's down to the old transatlantic divide? British humour not generally playing well with an American audience... I guess there's a reason they remake shows like The Office with an American cast. Python is quintessentially British after all, and The Meaning of Life quintessentially Python.

I'm not certain--I love Holy Grail and Life of Brian, but do really hate The Meaning of Life. I just don't think it's funny at all, full stop. 

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #20,158 of 24,650
  I'm not certain--I love Holy Grail and Life of Brian, but do really hate The Meaning of Life. I just don't think it's funny at all, full stop. 

Different strokes. I'm pretty much the opposite way around and actually find Holy Grail quite tedious. Humour is a funny thing
rolleyes.gif
 For me, The Meaning of Life is closer to the original series, which is what I really like when it comes to Python, rather than the feature films.

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #20,159 of 24,650

Different strokes. I'm pretty much the opposite way around and actually find Holy Grail quite tedious. Humour is a funny thing
rolleyes.gif
 For me, The Meaning of Life is closer to the original series, which is what I really like when it comes to Python, rather than the feature films.

Exactly--I think it's more about individual taste in humor than it is broad American vs. British humor. Also, often I find that if my friends don't enjoy a British comedy it's got less to do with the comedy itself and more to do with the accents/slang.

Jan 24, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #20,160 of 24,650
I always thought Meaning of Life was more of an afterthought and last hurrah for Python. It just did not gel as well as the previous films or the series for me.

That America in large does not get English humour is evidenced by Soderberghs miserable attempt to use Cockney Rhyming Slang in the Oceans films. Now that was just painful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back