Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Sep 21, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #19,666 of 24,651
Blair Witch (2016)  8/10 if you have not seen Blair Witch Project and 5/10 if you have.

Same found footage premise with a few twists and herrings not included in the original. It's creepy enough for a new viewer certainly but those who know the previous story will be forever on edge waiting for something new to occur. When it does it is rather disappointing With that expectation removed the film works well.

Am I the only person on earth who does not ever go into unknown woods unarmed?.

Sep 22, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #19,667 of 24,651
Nice Guys - 8.25/10

Surprised by how good this was. One of the funniest movies i've seen in awhile.
Ryan Gosling was actually pretty good in his role here. During a few parts he sounded too much like he was reading lines off a script.
I rarely "LOL" at a movie, but I did a lot here. So many funny lines that made the movie even better.
I'm not sure who wrote the script, but however it was did pretty well.

This one has a ton of really bad stuff in it that might be offensive to some. Some of it I can't even describe here.
Let's just say that one of the kids in this movie has one of the worst parents there is. Some people should NOT bring their kids to work with them!
A lot of the stuff in this movie is garbage and I felt like I was watching an episode of "Family Guy". Luckily it gets better.

This movie has way too much swearing. Normally I don't mind, but there's too many F-ing F-words in the movie.
I think at least 100+ F-words. It doesn't even sound natural really.

BTW this looked awful in the trailers and it made me NOT want to watch it. The title is also not really good.
Who wants to see a movie called "Nice Guys"?

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #19,669 of 24,651
  Nice Guys - 8.25/10

Surprised by how good this was. One of the funniest movies i've seen in awhile.
Ryan Gosling was actually pretty good in his role here. During a few parts he sounded too much like he was reading lines off a script.
I rarely "LOL" at a movie, but I did a lot here. So many funny lines that made the movie even better.
I'm not sure who wrote the script, but however it was did pretty well.

This one has a ton of really bad stuff in it that might be offensive to some. Some of it I can't even describe here.
Let's just say that one of the kids in this movie has one of the worst parents there is. Some people should NOT bring their kids to work with them!
A lot of the stuff in this movie is garbage and I felt like I was watching an episode of "Family Guy". Luckily it gets better.

This movie has way too much swearing. Normally I don't mind, but there's too many F-ing F-words in the movie.
I think at least 100+ F-words. It doesn't even sound natural really.

BTW this looked awful in the trailers and it made me NOT want to watch it. The title is also not really good.
Who wants to see a movie called "Nice Guys"?

I actually really liked that one as well, though I also liked how the movie looked like from the trailers.

Sep 24, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #19,670 of 24,651
Band of Brothers - 8/10

Not really a movie but I watched it from start to finish within a week. This is now my third time seeing it.
Overall I think it's a bit overrated. Not that it isn't good. It definitely is.

I know it's a TV movie, but IMO there is way too much filler material in it that is not important to the story.
Too many scenes of the characters standing around talking. No I don't mean they should have had more battle scenes or anything.
One of the slowest episodes to me is actually the best (Bastogne). None of them were that great at all really.
Many episodes just drag on. At times I was asking if it was almost done already..but no, 15 more minutes to go.

BTW I think that none of the characters are very memorable (like Sledge and "Snafu" from the Pacific).
A lot of the actors seem to be miscast too.

I actually prefer "The Pacific" by far. That one isn't based on just one book, but many different ones (Helmet for my Pillow & The Old Breed).

Tootsie - 10/10

Way better than Band of Brothers. Just kidding
bigsmile_face.gif

This is actually one of the few comedies I would give a 10/10 to. Another one might be "Being There" or "Harry and Tonto".

The Walking Dead Season 1 to 6 - 10/10

Am I allowed to post this here? I'm going to anyway.
I hate horror movies and gore, but I absolutely love this series.
A lot of it reminds me of how people deal with war while experiencing it and after.

Here are my favorite seasons in order from best to worst after THREE viewings of each season.

Season 2 - I HATED this soap opera nonsense on the first viewing, but now it's the one season where I can't stop at just one episode.
Shane is a pretty memorable character despite how much I disliked everything about him.

Season 6 - Pretty sure on this. The last 15 minutes ruined nearly ruined it all for me!

Season 4 -

Season 3 - Can't stand the Governor and any episode in Woodbury.

Season 5 - Can't really decide if this is better than season 3 or not.

Season 1 - Haven't decided, but this season is really nothing special.

Not sure why, but my favorite episodes are right after they leave the prison and are wandering around trying to find each other. Especially the episode with Rick and his son.

Sometimes I have problems remembering what happens in each season!

Sep 24, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #19,671 of 24,651
I think it is fair to open this up to miniseries etc. Given the current state of film it is natural for aficionados to look to the "lesser mediums"

Band of Brothers was par exellence, and a career maker for more than a few actors. The Pacific while dealing with much more intense and richer characters failed to deliver the calibre of performance it's predecessor did. Still worth a watch, but lower your expectations a bit.

Sep 25, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #19,672 of 24,651
Band of Brothers - 8/10

Not really a movie but I watched it from start to finish within a week. This is now my third time seeing it.
Overall I think it's a bit overrated. Not that it isn't good. It definitely is.

I know it's a TV movie, but IMO there is way too much filler material in it that is not important to the story.
Too many scenes of the characters standing around talking. No I don't mean they should have had more battle scenes or anything.
One of the slowest episodes to me is actually the best (Bastogne). None of them were that great at all really.
Many episodes just drag on. At times I was asking if it was almost done already..but no, 15 more minutes to go.

BTW I think that none of the characters are very memorable (like Sledge and "Snafu" from the Pacific).
A lot of the actors seem to be miscast too.

I actually prefer "The Pacific" by far. That one isn't based on just one book, but many different ones (Helmet for my Pillow & The Old Breed).

Tootsie - 10/10

Way better than Band of Brothers. Just kidding :bigsmile_face:
This is actually one of the few comedies I would give a 10/10 to. Another one might be "Being There" or "Harry and Tonto".

The Walking Dead Season 1 to 6 - 10/10

Am I allowed to post this here? I'm going to anyway.
I hate horror movies and gore, but I absolutely love this series.
A lot of it reminds me of how people deal with war while experiencing it and after.

Here are my favorite seasons in order from best to worst after THREE viewings of each season.

Season 2 - I HATED this soap opera nonsense on the first viewing, but now it's the one season where I can't stop at just one episode.
Shane is a pretty memorable character despite how much I disliked everything about him.

Season 6 - Pretty sure on this. The last 15 minutes ruined nearly ruined it all for me!

Season 4 -

Season 3 - Can't stand the Governor and any episode in Woodbury.

Season 5 - Can't really decide if this is better than season 3 or not.

Season 1 - Haven't decided, but this season is really nothing special.

Not sure why, but my favorite episodes are right after they leave the prison and are wandering around trying to find each other. Especially the episode with Rick and his son.

Sometimes I have problems remembering what happens in each season!

Tootsie and Being There. Yep! Totally.

Sep 26, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #19,673 of 24,651
Hrafninn flýgur (When the Raven Flies) 1984 (7.5/10) 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087432/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

An Icelandic film worth seeing, definitely unique and has that old "film" feel. Some elements come off as outdated and a bit cheesy but in a good way. The score is also intriguing and really goes well with the story and atmosphere of the movie. The plot is REVENGE! 
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #19,674 of 24,651
The Wind Rises (2013) Anime (Ghibli).    4/10

I rarely slam a Studio Ghibli release as their quality is really impeccable. That quality is in this film as well and is not where my issues with it are. What they tried to do plot wise was marry the Novel "The Wind Has Risen" with the biography of Jiro Horikoshi the designer of the A6M Zero fighter. What you wind up with is a completely illusory picture of Jiro that only resembles the man in that he was in the places stated at the times stated. His family, wife and entire personality is a cobbled up fiction. Ghibli would have done much better to use a ficional name for Jiro and be clean and up front about it.Why they chose the path they did can only be put down to the esteem that Jiro is still regarded with in Japan. Sadly they have done a disservice here to the memory of him, his wife, his brother and all of his children

Sep 27, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #19,675 of 24,651
  The Wind Rises (2013) Anime (Ghibli).    4/10

I rarely slam a Studio Ghibli release as their quality is really impeccable. That quality is in this film as well and is not where my issues with it are. What they tried to do plot wise was marry the Novel "The Wind Has Risen" with the biography of Jiro Horikoshi the designer of the A6M Zero fighter. What you wind up with is a completely illusory picture of Jiro that only resembles the man in that he was in the places stated at the times stated. His family, wife and entire personality is a cobbled up fiction. Ghibli would have done much better to use a ficional name for Jiro and be clean and up front about it.Why they chose the path they did can only be put down to the esteem that Jiro is still regarded with in Japan. Sadly they have done a disservice here to the memory of him, his wife, his brother and all of his children

I also gave this a 4, but for different reasons to you - I just thought it was really dull! I wasn't aware of the historical aspects you mention, but even if they had done as you suggest and used a fictional name for the main character, you'd still be left with a fairly unremarkable, overly sentimental story. As always with Ghibli though, the sheer quality of the animation is something to fall back on even when you don't like the story.

Sep 27, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #19,676 of 24,651

I also gave this a 4, but for different reasons to you - I just thought it was really dull! I wasn't aware of the historical aspects you mention, but even if they had done as you suggest and used a fictional name for the main character, you'd still be left with a fairly unremarkable, overly sentimental story. As always with Ghibli though, the sheer quality of the animation is something to fall back on even when you don't like the story.

It has me baffled as to how they could make a story which really had the potential to be exciting so deadpan. I should read the book but after the film and given the depressing nature of the story I have no appetite for it.

Sep 29, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #19,677 of 24,651
I just finished watching Cloverfield and then 10 Cloverfield Lane for the first time. I would give Cloverfield a C, but I would give 10 Cloverfield Lane an A! I'm psyched at the prospect of a sequel. I know that it would most likely be a few years before another sequel comes out though.

At least I have Alien: Covenant to look forward to next year! Prometheus was decent (another C-grade movie in my opinion). Let's hope that Alien: Covenant returns the Alien franchise to the glory of the first two installments. I've never seen any of them beyond those first two (not counting Prometheus, obviously), and I don't want to. They look to have gotten stupid after those first two (in my opinion A-grade) films.

Sep 29, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #19,678 of 24,651
At least I have Alien: Covenant to look forward to next year! Prometheus was decent (another C-grade movie in my opinion). Let's hope that Alien: Covenant returns the Alien franchise to the glory of the first two installments. I've never seen any of them beyond those first two (not counting Prometheus, obviously), and I don't want to. They look to have gotten stupid after those first two (in my opinion A-grade) films.

I hope so. Given that Ridley has it planned as one of a series of 3 or 4 films though I am not keeping my hopes up too high. I was hoping Blomkamps Alien 5 would have gotten green lighted but Scott could well have killed that initiative. Too bad as it was supposed to be an alternative take on the Aliens sequels. I really wished to see a better story line for Ripley than the dreck that was Aliens Aliens Aliens and Aliens Aliens Aliens Aliens.

Sep 29, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #19,679 of 24,651
  Hrafninn flýgur (When the Raven Flies) 1984 (7.5/10) 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087432/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

An Icelandic film worth seeing, definitely unique and has that old "film" feel. Some elements come off as outdated and a bit cheesy but in a good way. The score is also intriguing and really goes well with the story and atmosphere of the movie. The plot is REVENGE! 
biggrin.gif

Hunkur hnifur! May get lost in translation but it means like heaviur knifur :wink: That is an absolutely amazing movie classic. 

Sep 29, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #19,680 of 24,651

I hope so. Given that Ridley has it planned as one of a series of 3 or 4 films though I am not keeping my hopes up too high. I was hoping Blomkamps Alien 5 would have gotten green lighted but Scott could well have killed that initiative. Too bad as it was supposed to be an alternative take on the Aliens sequels. I really wished to see a better story line for Ripley than the dreck that was Aliens Aliens Aliens and Aliens Aliens Aliens Aliens.

Bloomberg would be interesting though. He would probably humanize the aliens and have them put in concentration camps.

Story line for Alien 3 was certainly not the best but they saved a lot with the edited version :). Resurrection is all but horrible too. For me Aliens is the hardest to rewatch. Those stupid marines makes no sense :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back