Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jul 18, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #19,441 of 24,647

I was saying to a mate of mine, I decided to give this one a miss at London Film Festival when it came around last year - from what he said, and now yourself, I guess it was a bad call. I'm usually pretty good at dodging bullets at film fests from reading the synopses, but sounds like my radar went awry this time!

I was in the same boat. I had it flagged as a maybe and put it off for ages. Finally out of boredom last night gave it a view and was really surprised. It's up on all the cheap services now and you may even get it as a freebee on some.

Jul 18, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #19,442 of 24,647
the New "Ghostbusters".
I'll give it a 9 out of 10.
Keep in mind my rating is based on how it compares to similar comedies.
The casting is perfect. The script is great. Don't expect logic or realism, this is ridiculous for the sake of being ridiculous.
Comparisons to the original Ghostbusters may be interesting but this is 2016, different time, the culture has changed a bit.
I'm not too sure where all the hate for this movie on the internet comes from. So the new Ghostbusters are a bunch of chicks? Who cares? The movie has a funny script delivered by some top notch comedic actresses. I've heard the movie criticized for being sexist or male bashing. Puhleeze. I think some people have to lighten up a bit.
I highly recommend this movie if you want a few deep belly laughs.

Jul 19, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #19,444 of 24,647

Mainly from me I think. I've got a special key on my keyboard which uploads hate to the internet and I press it thousands of times a day.

Ah, so you're the guy responsible for the 600 negative one star reviews on IMDB:)

I am avoiding that film on general principle.

Jul 19, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #19,445 of 24,647
Ah, so you're the guy responsible for the 600 negative one star reviews on IMDB:)

I am avoiding that film on general principle.

Avoiding it on general principle?
Eh?

Jul 19, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #19,447 of 24,647
Avoiding it on general principle?
Eh?

I'm mainly avoiding it because the trailer I saw was just bad. I mean bombed. I laughed at a total of one joke in a 2+ minute trailer of a comedy. Incredibly not funny. Like, you need to try to write jokes that bad. And the rest of the trailer had no redeeming value.

I rewatched the Prometheus trailer after just to balance it out.

I'll eventually catch it on HBO or something in a few months.

Jul 19, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #19,448 of 24,647
I'm mainly avoiding it because the trailer I saw was just bad. I mean bombed. I laughed at a total of one joke in a 2+ minute trailer of a comedy. Incredibly not funny. Like, you need to try to write jokes that bad. And the rest of the trailer had no redeeming value.

I'm mainly avoiding it because, to quote Charlie Brooker, I'd rather shatter my jaw on a concrete bollard than sit through it.

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #19,449 of 24,647
I watched "The Big Short" on Netflix last night. Though semi-fictional, it was an entertaining way to clear up some of the questions I had about the financial crisis of '07.

I'd give it an 8.5/10

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #19,451 of 24,647
I ended up watching the original and then Fury Road. None of the in-betweens.

Mad Max: Fury Road [7/10]

A movie where the word “plot” actually should be in quotes. About 12 minutes into the movie I pause and think to myself, “Oh my god… someone actually did it. They walked into a studio exec’s office and just went “I think you should sit down for this: Waterworld… on land!”.

What’s really worth watching this movie for is the final “battle” sequence. There are some great ideas and the execution was on point. The score is really for the moments of high execution and attention to detail. This isn’t a movie you pick apart. A unique aspect of it is that the level of tension remains at a relatively high level without much in the way of balance or peak and dips. There isn’t really point and counterpoint. And it’s not so much good pacing, editing or filmmaking, as it is a direct result of the plot. When you have people chasing you that don’t let up for the entire film, that result isn’t much of a surprise. There’s no hiding, its just keep driving.

Not sure why they needed Tom Hardy for this, really. He did a fine job, but I don’t see it as a good use of his talents. The casting of the models and Charlize Theron was more interesting and worked pretty well with the plot (and probably made the cinematography a bit easier too…).

If you want to see some very solidly filmed action. Look no further. Otherwise, well, there’s not much otherwise.

Mad Max (1979) [7.9/10]
This one was surprisingly... captivating. Its not something I expected from Mad Max. In a way, it’s kind of completely opposite in delivery than Fury Road. It very cyclical in the way it builds to mini-conflict after mini-conflict. Each one is self contained yet woven into a larger but modular whole, and each one does a commendable job at pushing you proverbially to the edge of your seat. Moreover, unlike Fury Road, it reads… believable. Its very down to earth and in that way circumvents any comparisons to an actual future, and as a result making it more relatable. No easy feat given the subject matter.

The only real complaint I had was that the ending was a bit… uneven and anticlimactic. Seeing the credits was even a bit of a surprise. I think it was something to do with the pacing at the end.

Definitely worth a watch IMO.

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #19,452 of 24,647

Mad Max: Fury Road [7/10]

If you want to see some very solidly filmed action. Look no further. Otherwise, well, there’s not much otherwise.

The problem of modern action movies which are very rare in comparison to the past is that there is no social background to base them on. Modern social trend in the West is pacifism. You need to somehow justify violence and action which is not welcomed. What they are trying to do is to add a lot of drama ( usually guilt feelings) to action scenes. Like in latest BvS and Captain America they made a main theme a collateral damage dilemma. James Bond is another example ( too much of a moral drama in the latest movies which in my opinion doesn't work).

Interestingly violence can work today when it is coming from a woman. If a woman is violent then she is strong, brave and self-confident.

Fury Road indicates that you can make a violent blockbuster if it doesn't have a plot and is completely over the top. 

There are movies like Warcraft which re-create violence like it was in patriarchal societies and which don't add enough politically correct themes to compensate violence. Just look at some critics' ratings like 1/10 and 0/5. Media puts pressure on such films so that studios would never again produce movies like that.

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #19,453 of 24,647
Does it have to be a movie you've watched for the first time?  I just watched Lilo and Stitch again last night.  Almost 50 years old, but I still tear up when Stitch says "This is my family.  It's small, and broken, but still good. Yes, still good."

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #19,454 of 24,647
Well, the last movie I watched (again) is Empire of the Sun, which I would always give 10/10. Such a beautiful film right from the beginning till the end - and a testament to the talent of Christian Bale.

Jul 21, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #19,455 of 24,647

There are movies like Warcraft which re-create violence like it was in patriarchal societies and which don't add enough politically correct themes to compensate violence. Just look at some critics' ratings like 1/10 and 0/5. Media puts pressure on such films so that studios would never again produce movies like that.

Maybe there's no hidden agenda, maybe the films are just s**t! I've only seen a trailer for Warcraft but no desire to see the film after that - it looked like it was gonna be one of those wooden in-game cut-scenes drawn out to feature length!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back