Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Apr 13, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #19,126 of 24,651
oops.  :D

what did ya think of Amadeus? Deserving of multiple Oscars (1984)?

Honestly I havent seen it since around '95...I recall enjoying it quite a bit more than I expected, as it wasnt a film I would have chosen myself typically. My girlfriend at the time was a student at the Eastman School and a classically trained opera singer. She wanted to see it so we did. I do remember feeling Tom Hulce did a great job and though I couldnt intelligently speak to what was accurate or inaccurate, I liked the film a lot. Would make for a great re-watch candidate since its been so long.

I dont know if you guys ever feel this way but I love seeing how my perspective on a fresh showing present day compares and contrasts with my memories from when I was younger.

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #19,128 of 24,651
oops.  :D

what did ya think of Amadeus? Deserving of multiple Oscars (1984)?

It DID deserve the Oscars it won and more.

Salieri's role played superbly by Murray Abraham. Great direction by Milos Forman who also gave us the evergreen "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." Perfect pacing and timeless performances and lovely OST. Very theatrical but very opt at the same time.

Apr 13, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #19,129 of 24,651
It DID deserve the Oscars it won and more.

Salieri's role played superbly by Murray Abraham. Great direction by Milos Forman who also gave us the evergreen "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." Perfect pacing and timeless performances and lovely OST. Very theatrical but very opt at the same time.

Tom Hulce was priceless -- his hyena laugh....
o2smile.gif

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #19,130 of 24,651

Symptoms - 6/10

I was fortunate to see this on the big screen at the the BFI last night. The original print had been thought lost but was recovered a couple of years ago, after a long search, and is due a DVD + Blu Ray release later this month. It may have passed into obscurity now, but enough was thought of it in 1974 for it to be an official entrant at Cannes.

Filmed in England, near Pinewood, where it was edited, this psychological horror from Spanish director José Ramón Larraz is more than slightly indebted to Polanski's Repulsion for its inspiration. But the film also stands on its own merit - a peculiarly British take on isolation and madness, with Larraz also drawing on the literary tradition of the Gothic; the sinister house taking centre stage and seemingly feeding the return of the repressed in Helen, as her mind is gradually lost to its perpetual darkness.

The tension is ratcheted up effectively for the first two thirds but the film was let down, I felt, by a slightly OTT and implausible last act that strips away some of the mystery and subtlety the film had built up to that point in favour of cheap thrills - maybe trying a bit too hard to go for jugular! Worth a watch though, for any fans of the genre. The budget was obviously tiny and although plotting isn't his greatest strength, Larraz achieves a lot in terms of atmosphere through imaginative lighting and camera work, often using the movement of the camera to suggest the mind's inner turmoil.

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #19,131 of 24,651
I watched Nosferatu for the first time last night. 10/10 for sheer creepiness. Silent film. Beats subsequent versions of "Dracula". Max Schreck as the vampire was incredible.

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #19,132 of 24,651
Yes, its amazing, definitely beats all the "Dracula's" that followed. I need to watch it again. Its been years. Very creepy!

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #19,133 of 24,651
The Finest Hours  (2016)     4.5/10        

I just cannot get over how badly this film was cast. A story that spends far too much time on the romantic involvement of the lead just detracts from the overall story. The Perfect Storm this is NOT and it really shows. There is no grit here whatsoever and it plays like a 50's drive in film with dialogue and habits to match. 60 years later on people have actually figured out that the gee whiz, golly gosh attitude of the 50's only existed on film. It kills any credibility and actually makes for a somewhat painful watch. I actually think Thor vs Moby Dick was better even with the poor CGI in it.

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #19,134 of 24,651

I just cannot get over how badly this film was cast. A story that spends far too much time on the romantic involvement of the lead just detracts from the overall story. The Perfect Storm this is NOT and it really shows. There is no grit here whatsoever and it plays like a 50's drive in film with dialogue and habits to match. 60 years later on people have actually figured out that the gee whiz, golly gosh attitude of the 50's only existed on film. It kills any credibility and actually makes for a somewhat painful watch. I actually think Thor vs Moby Dick was better even with the poor CGI in it.

Wow! That's really unfortunate...I thought that the story and the book were very good, but I guess that's usually the case...

Apr 15, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #19,135 of 24,651
http://www.themodularbody.com

This must be viral marketing for a new Sci/Fi move, this stuff can't be real?:p

[VIDEO]. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tfoVOGMz054 [/VIDEO].

[VIDEO]. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oD-sdQy7XaY [/VIDEO]

Apr 15, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #19,136 of 24,651
The Witch 2016...

Very good movie after you wrap your head around the Olde English dialogue. Very reminiscent of The Shining which is in my Top 5 best Horror movies ever. Excellent acting by all of the small 6 person cast tho the 2 youngest children are more props than anything. I give it a 7/10. The ending was a bit weak but overall I was left very satisfied.

Apr 15, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #19,137 of 24,651

Great concept, but that is where it ended. 3 out of 10.

Apr 15, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #19,138 of 24,651

I disagree. I thought it was a brilliant movie. I'd probably give it an 8/10 (at least). 

Apr 15, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #19,140 of 24,651

Want to expand on that a little? I am curious as to what you liked about it.

Sure. I'm not the best at evaluating movies and I don't have specific criteria, but I genuinely enjoyed the movie. I don't think there was a point where I was bored while watching it. I thought the plot was great, the script wasn't too cheesy and the actors' performance was brilliant. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back