Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Mar 26, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #19,051 of 24,652
Well yeah, Hitchcock at his best was some kind of genius. I'm with you that not all of the early stuff holds up so well, but he made a genre-defining classic in Psycho, much the same way Kubrick did with The Shining. The range of both directors was far broader than any single genre, but when they took a genre on, they generally did it better than most!

My enjoyment is when filmmakers pay homage to Hitchcock. Truly though any filming from one apartment over to another reminds me of Rear Window. How could it not. How could anyone not see the end of Sleepaway Camp and not think of Psycho. Friday the 13th is simply the shower scene played over and over again ad infinitum.

If I remember right even some of the soundtrack music effects became the classic template for much of the horror genre, first showing up in Psycho.

Mar 26, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #19,053 of 24,652

The film Body Double is full Hitchcock worship.

Mar 27, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #19,054 of 24,652
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

7.5/10

Don't understand why this is receiving a lot of negative reviews.

Yeah agreed. I just saw it last night and liked it. Affleck did a good job. Wonder Woman was cool too. Some minor issues but thumbs up :wink:

Mar 27, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #19,055 of 24,652
Snyder has a nice visual style I have to admit so I will probably enjoy it just for that reason. Despite superman being such a lame super hero.

Mar 27, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #19,056 of 24,652
Snyder has a nice visual style I have to admit so I will probably enjoy it just for that reason. Despite superman being such a lame super hero.

He was cool in 1950s comic books and is in many ways the most popular first superhero. He is just from another era and resists updates. IMO Come to think about it, I also resist updates. I have socks older than half of Head-Fi.

Mar 27, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #19,058 of 24,652
Geez, how are you guys not totally sick of "superheros" yet???

I am completely sick of superheroes and have been at least since the last Christian Bale Batman movie...Marvel et. al. definitely needs to give it a rest. Of course, that's what the masses of movie viewers seem to want... 

Mar 27, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #19,059 of 24,652
  I am completely sick of superheroes and have been at least since the last Christian Bale Batman movie...Marvel et. al. definitely needs to give it a rest. Of course, that's what the masses of movie viewers seem to want... 

It's like picking at a scab or running ones tongue over a cavity, really.

Mar 27, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #19,060 of 24,652
Geez, how are you guys not totally sick of "superheros" yet???

Yeah, I grew up reading (mostly) Marvel during the Silver Age of comics (60's). I was enthralled by the characters and amazed by the artwork of Jack Kirby. So, I enjoy going to see how they are realized on screen.

Similar feeling about the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I read the book(s) back in the day and it was great to see it translated to the screen so well...to see the Argonath as i had imagined them.

I suppose it's like I've heard some movie critic's say about translations of various items from other media to the the silver screen: "...add a star if you're a fan..."

If you're not a fan, then you wonder where the interest comes from. 

wink.gif

Mar 27, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #19,061 of 24,652

I suppose it's like I've heard some movie critic's say about translations of various items from other media to the the silver screen: "...add a star if you're a fan..."

If you're not a fan, then you wonder where the interest comes from. 

wink.gif

It's not that certain people here, myself included, aren't fans (well I'm a comic book fan more than a superhero fan) - it's a sense of incredulity that Marvel and DC can keep up their Mr. Benn act and audiences continue to lap it up. Scheduled between now and 2019, Marvel have another 13 films in various stages of production on the assembly line. The question is when does it reach saturation point? For some people the answer is never, I guess.

Mar 27, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #19,063 of 24,652

It's not that certain people here, myself included, aren't fans (well I'm a comic book fan more than a superhero fan) - it's a sense of incredulity that Marvel and DC can keep up their Mr. Benn act and audiences continue to lap it up. Scheduled between now and 2019, Marvel have another 13 films in various stages of production on the assembly line. The question is when does it reach saturation point? For some people the answer is never, I guess.

Someone at work mentioned to me that Disney is considering coming out with a Star Wars movie annually. Sounds like a lot as well. We'll see...

I think what also helps keep my interest is that it is something that I continue to share with my daughter, who is now away at college. We went to many movie premiers together when she was younger and still living at home, and now, among other things, we talk via phone about the new releases (such as B v S). 

I don't know you, and can't tell for sure, but I would hope that with your final question that you're not trying to insinuate that people that take longer than you to reach saturation point are somehow inferior and/or lesser beings... 

wink.gif

Mar 27, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #19,064 of 24,652

I don't know you, and can't tell for sure, but I would hope that with your final question that you're not trying to insinuate that people that take longer than you to reach saturation point are somehow inferior and/or lesser beings... 

wink.gif

No, you shouldn't infer that. It wasn't intended to be judgemental, just an observation. Some of my best friends like superhero movies 
wink.gif

Mar 27, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #19,065 of 24,652
People are sick of superheroes? What?? :rolleyes: Well, stop watching them, I guess. When you eventually get ready to watch more, the films will be waiting for you. Win > win.

What bugs me, and the large bulk of reviewers, is the pacing (comic fans are pissed over the liberties taken, but the worst of them won't be satisfied with anything). :D They desperately tried to shove the contents of 3 movies into 1, I presume to try and play catch-up with the MCU. That's dumb, because it's a good 5 years out in front, at this point. While I prefer Marvel, always have, Batman and Superman are THE superhero icons. Act like you have all the time in the world WB, allow the JLA to form and evolve organically. Rushing to get just anything out stinks of desperation, and there's no need for it.

My wife thought BvS was good, aside from being irritated over WW looking tiny and anorexic (Gadot is no amazon). But she's a generation younger than me, and though I love her dearly, she has the attention span of a goldfish. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back