Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 7, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #18,466 of 24,651

Cujo - 6/10

Mainly for the acting of the dog, who delivered a more convincing performance than any of his human co-stars. Nah, but the acting was generally decent, particularly from Dee Wallace and a young Danny Pintauro as the terrified little kid. It's nice to see a film from a time before CG - nowadays Cujo would almost certainly have been computer-generated. A cellphone would definitely have been handy though.

You want a dog film mate.Has any 1 not cried watching this.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1028532/

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #18,467 of 24,651

ex machina-i initially watched this and thought pretty good but some things didnt sit right with me.Watched again on the laptop and it all fitted together.Also researched the plot etc on various forums. 7/10

Gets a 9 from me. Probably my film of the year for 2015 - great directorial debut from Alex Garland, and a bit smarter than the average sci-fi.

Jan 8, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #18,469 of 24,651
Revenant - ???/10

Give me a few weeks to think about this.
Visually it's a work of art. Some amazing cinematography here and I was not disappointed.
One reason I saw it is because they used Terrence Malick's regular cinematographer.

I especially loved the first "battle scene", which I won't describe. Felt almost too real.
The movie itself reminded me a little of something like "Ravenous" meets "The New World".
Really, there is no movie this is like I can think of at the moment.
Felt like some weird and strange dream, well more like a bad nightmare.

The only problem is that this movie will probably be a test of endurance for some (me included). If you have a short attention span, don't see it!
It's not a fun movie and not very entertaining. This is OK to me. It was never boring at all ever, but a little slow.
I would have been even OK with it if it was a silent movie. It basically is.

Some of the violence is just painful to watch. Sometimes the audience was laughing at scenes that were disturbing or not even remotely funny.
I don't get people sometimes. A lot of them were talking too much and seemed bored by it.

I don't know why, but this is a difficult film to give a score to and I don't even want to watch it again for quite a long time!
It's quite the experience and i'm glad I saw it.

Too bad there was no IMAX release here. Star Wars is hogging up all the screens.

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #18,470 of 24,651
Watch it at home without annoying cinema audience? Must be that that got to you because I didn´t find a single booring frame and it´s not slow whatsoever. While not Mad Max 4 it happen stuff all the time :)

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #18,471 of 24,651

5/10

Jan 8, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #18,472 of 24,651
Im goinG to watch the hateful8 again tonight.my son wants to watch it.my wife also wants to for some reason-i didnt realise she was into QT
blink.gif

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #18,474 of 24,651
She's into Quality Time with the family.

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?year=2015,2015&title_type=feature&sort=moviemeter,asc

How times have changed. Movies like Hateful Eight used to only be at drive inns or seedy theaters that would sometimes get shut down.

IMDb now says it is the second most successful movie of 2015?

Jan 8, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #18,475 of 24,651
http://www.imdb.com/search/title?year=2015,2015&title_type=feature&sort=moviemeter,asc

How times have changed. Movies like Hateful Eight used to only be at drive inns or seedy theaters that would sometimes get shut down.

IMDb now says it is the second most successful movie of 2015?

Society has obviously gone bipolar. The Feel Good Star Wars and the blood and guts hate film as the number one and two for the year. I for one, believe 8 richly deserves the allegorical "Number 2" rating:)

What is truly scary here is that these are both end of year releases. I fear that bodes no good for the film industry as a whole when the money is to be made at the last minute. We could well end up with nothing but D grade releases during the year and one month of quality film if the analysts get their way.

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #18,476 of 24,651

Society has obviously gone bipolar. The Feel Good Star Wars and the blood and guts hate film as the number one and two for the year. I for one, believe 8 richly deserves the allegorical "Number 2" rating:)

What is truly scary here is that these are both end of year releases. I fear that bodes no good for the film industry as a whole when the money is to be made at the last minute. We could well end up with nothing but D grade releases during the year and one month of quality film if the analysts get their way.

Surely this is only a concern with the Hollywood machine. Quality indie, genre, art-house and world films are made throughout the year, and I for one usually find more value in those; it's pretty rare that I'm blown away by a big-budget blockbuster. I don't even bother going to see most of them!

Jan 8, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #18,477 of 24,651

Surely this is only a concern with the Hollywood machine. Quality indie, genre, art-house and world films are made throughout the year, and I for one usually find more value in those; it's pretty rare that I'm blown away by a big-budget blockbuster. I don't even bother going to see most of them!

I also feel this way about network TV. ABC, CBS, NBC, etc I don't even bother watching anymore. However, HBO, AMC, SHowtime, Starz etc are putting out some pretty great TV imo.

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #18,478 of 24,651

I like to parallel it to rock and roll being first played in the backwoods blues areas as a roots movement( 70's B movies) then the blues taken into large stadiums in a slightly different electrified and glossed form (Led Zeppelin) The Hatefull Eight.

Strangely black influences permeate and fill both Led Zeppelin and Quentin Tarantino. One as a basic musical style and the other as social commentary.

Led Zeppelin made millions and millions, an amount unthought of by the genre originators and QT has taken the 70s B movie style and done the same.

Jan 8, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #18,479 of 24,651

Hey, my names not Shirley! :) I should have caveat-ed that with a Hwood prefix. You are right of course. The civilized world does not live and breathe the seasonal / holiday release syndrome.

I like to parallel it to rock and roll being first played in the backwoods blues areas as a roots movement( 70's B movies) then the blues taken into large stadiums in a slightly different electrified and glossed form (Led Zeppelin) The Hatefull Eight.

Strangely black influences permeate and fill both Led Zeppelin and Quentin Tarantino. One as a basic musical style and the other as social commentary.

Led Zeppelin made millions and millions, an amount unthought of by the genre originators and QT has taken the 70s B movie style and done the same.

That is thesis material. Seriously you really ought to write that up in length and submit somewhere. I'm certain there is a PhD is something awaiting you. Zep of course knew when to hang it up. I was never actually a fan, but "In through the out door" absolutely stunned me as a departing album.

I had actually heard it posited that while Led Zep ushered in the metal genre, it's roots can be traced all the way back to Wagner. Wish I had pdf'd the article as it was quite compelling.

Now that you have my mind twisted. I think Tarantino should probably take on MacBeth under a pseudonym.:)

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #18,480 of 24,651
Hey, my names not Shirley! :) I should have caveat-ed that with a Hwood prefix. You are right of course. The civilized world does not live and breathe the seasonal / holiday release syndrome.

That is thesis material. Seriously you really ought to write that up in length and submit somewhere. I'm certain there is a PhD is something awaiting you. Zep of course knew when to hang it up. I was never actually a fan, but "In through the out door" absolutely stunned me as a departing album.

I had actually heard it posited that while Led Zep ushered in the metal genre, it's roots can be traced all the way back to Wagner. Wish I had pdf'd the article as it was quite compelling.

Now that you have my mind twisted. I think Tarantino should probably take on MacBeth under a pseudonym.:)

Glad you could relate to my twisted theory! Yes, that is the best question. I figure he should stay with his recycled rendition of Blackspoitation and do a remake of Planet of the Apes and make it a sick comedy ala Roger Corman. Gory and racist studies the general public seems to like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back