Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Dec 26, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #18,376 of 24,648

This is Tarantino at his psychological best. His character pace and building is perfect. I found this movie not to have much side talk. All talk is pertaining to moving the plot forward (my bad issue with Death-proof).

Every word was for a reason and every moment showed a conservation of effort, though in the end we realize the movie (just like others before) is an anti-racism vehicle.

A plot, air-tight and nailed down though I think they should have killed the gal in the first half of the movie, except there would be no plot afterwords. Lol

The fake letter from Lincoln shows us to be a slight of hand tool, used because Blacks just can't survive in the world with-out extra creativity. Take that message for what it's worth, but it seems to be another personal item of Black understanding which Tarantino has understood from early life, thus attempting to give us this inner city white-boy value.

We first view the Lincoln letter as a cheap trick and then understand the trick is a harmless act that is not really hurting anyone. A reflection of the frailty of the (Jackson) character which is acting so confident.
Again that confident manner, another tool to help in a repressive world.

The use of Jackson's character smiling to the prisoner in the stagecoach is an idea of genius, knowing we wonder who will try and break her free. We still don't know the story till the end, making a great script. IMO

This movie is brutal and nasty, it is tough and gory. It contains timing on a 10/10 level. Script is with-out flaw.

There is also a duality being played of light and dark. You hear an old Lutheran Church piano song right before the movie goes off full-tilt in fellatio-Tarantino mode. Shocking but with a slight social message that makes everything that was seen slightly-OK, in a cheap exploitation style way, straight out of 1976.

He used his time manipulation and chapters just like early films but did it masterfully, showing an even more mature style of his own original style.

We will never get another Pulp Fiction, though this maybe could be a close effort. It takes second place as the characters though interesting, don't have the charm or air about them like in Pulp Fiction.
10/10

Dec 26, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #18,377 of 24,648
10/10

Wow!

Another 007 movie which continues to live in that misty realm outside of logic or real-life happenstance. Once we are rooted in that fantasy, 2015's Spectre offers the divinity Bond is known for.

I can't help but be reminded of Michael Stearns music in the soundtrack. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encounter_(album)

Why such a high score? We are treated with perfect humor and action. The fact that he does not know any secret functions of the Bond car.........priceless.

Dec 26, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #18,380 of 24,648
Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens: 9.5/10

Duh DUH DUUUHHHH Dadulula dadada Just go watch the film stop reading this comment

Seriously GO!

Nobody's here? great

Spoilers

The story itself is typical. Basically two little characters (Rey the scavenger and Finn the stormtrooper) meets up, uncovering an evil plot from the Empire, trapped inside circumstances, fight some bad guys, having characters revealing their secret past, and have a final assault on a deathstar (with the same weakness as the original deathstar, but much bigger, seriously JJ Abrams?), drizzled with awesome fights and flying sequence that is so enjoyable I stuck my head literally onto the screen. OH MY GOD. Characters wise, majority of them are simply set up. Finn is the guilt soldier running away from what he was associated before, Rey is the former jedi escaping from the dark side, Kylo Ren is the Jedi obcessed with the dark side (cough cough Anakin Skywalker), Han Solo and Leia were the parents of a crapty white teenager (Kylo), Luke Skywalker as the ashamed sensei and other paper cutout characters (Top Gun pilots blah blah blah), with average dialogues. But, the actors nailed it and make it very enjoyable.

The soundtrack is awesome, especially the soundtrack for introducing Rey and Jaku. It is simply the top 3 of 2015. John Williams thank you very much. Filmography wise, it is a little bit disappointing in the transition department. Dissolves are my least favorite transitions and this movie didn't make me loving it. Although, every shots are amazing and made the movie action packed.

If some Star Wars fan ask me what do I feel about this film compared to other Star Wars movie, I'll say it's like Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, or 80's action movie, or a tone of the original series with the fights what was George Lucas was going for on the prequels. The plot and the characters are simple, but with action pack fights and pretty high stakes, the movie is fantastically entertaining and enjoyable, with little mysterious around the movie. This is the best holiday gift for all mankind. Thank you JJ Abrams.

EP1: 5.5/10 EP2: 4.5/10 EP3 7.5/10 EP4: 9.7/10 EP5: 9.8/10 EP6: 9.8/10

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #18,381 of 24,648
Steve Jobs (2015)   9/10

I am doubly biased on this one. First due to the fact that I have always dislikes Apples offerings (hey I owned 2 newtons, and anyone out there who owned one knows what that means) and second I was intimate in that trade in the era covered by the film. So that said here we go. Great performances just about all around. Fassbinder is spellbinding in the lead by NOT trying to do a Steve Jobs impersonation. He takes the events and dialogue and sends them out to you in a presentation. Hard to describe but it comes across as what Jobs would have been like were he an actor. The result, at least for me is a much better feel for the person and what those around him suffered than anything you could get by someone trying to ape Jobs. Some facts are compressed, some are outright distorted. Guy Kawasaki is just referred to as some guy writing for MacWorld. If you know him you know he was a fellow at Apple and confidant of Jobs, so not too far a reach to see where he got the positioning info for NEXT from. The film is based on Isaacson's book which is comprehensive but self indulgent at times in thinking he knew Jobs better than he did. NEXT was not created to become the next OS that would save Apple. That may make good cinema but in truth no one, especially Jobs had any idea Apple would be in death throes at that point. Jobs uncanny ability was to detect an opportunity and manouvre NEXT into a position to capitalize on it while it was happening. All the while (NEXT) going bankrupt itself. The ouster scene with Scully is pretty much rote from the minutes of the BoD meeting and quite riveting to watch. The two men diametrically opposed in corporate philosophys head to head in a fight for the company that was resolved in one of the briefest and most intense corporate showdowns ever. The result of which we all know. The true result of which gets a decent treatment on screen here. These were two men that wanted to work together as each saw in the other the traits and skills they lacked and desperately wished the circumstance would allow it. Timing is everything and it just was not theirs (time). This plays out well and into the reconciliation which the world thought would never happen.

Reconciliation is the central theme in this film and it really is not played out for the feel good. A Jobs reconciliation is more about tolerance and moving forward on both party's sides than any kind of patching up and respect gaining. He's still a dick, just a dick that will play fair once cornered with inescapable facts that he is unable to distort to his own ends. The brevity the film shows in particular the episodic way it is presented goes a long way into the character. You did not need a lot of encounters with Jobs to get the picture. In this manner  the film goes above and beyond in the brief intensive scene choices. The final iMac launch scenes are magnificent in showing how able this man was able to cope with situations and pressures that would have crippled most non psychopathic humans.  It rivets the concept that here was a man who could only thrive in a crucible and would consciously or un consciously created it himself. You see, Jobs was both Author and Victim of his own Reality Distortion Field.

........Then again, this review may be distorted, it was that kind of film.:)

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #18,382 of 24,648
Into The Wild (7.5/10)

This is a story about a man who left everything behind in the material world and embarked on a journey into the wild. A thought provoking film that makes you think about our never ending wants and needs. 

It was quite an enjoyable watch except that I felt it ran at-least half an hour longer than necessary. loosing some momentum in the process. 

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #18,383 of 24,648
San Andreas. 7/10
Good fun, great sound affects. Just a great movie to kick back and ride. Only blemish in my mind is the little bit of unnecessary, and just plain goofy, stab at American patriotism at the end. Didn't need to be there and they way they did it made me chuckle a bit. I understand the director was trying to appeal to a general sense of work ethic and fortitude among American culture, but it didn't work for me. Otherwise very fun.

Dec 27, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #18,384 of 24,648

EP1: 5.5/10 EP2: 4.5/10 EP3 7.5/10 EP4: 9.7/10 EP5: 9.8/10 EP6: 9.8/10

Ooh this is a fun game 
biggrin.gif
 I think you're way too generous with the prequels. 1: 4/10, 2: 3/10, 3: 5/10, 4: 9/10, 5: 10/10, 6: 8/10, 7: 8/10. 

Dec 27, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #18,385 of 24,648
Ooh this is a fun game :D  I think you're way too generous with the prequels. 1: 4/10, 2: 3/10, 3: 5/10, 4: 9/10, 5: 10/10, 6: 8/10, 7: 8/10. 

That's just it, a true fan starts to get into stuff that would sway a normal person away. The true fan starts to get more into the movies. I own them all and after getting a new TV found it a great excuse to rewatch everything in HD.

It also has to do with at what point in life you started watching Star Wars, at at with point you started with the prequels. In the end it does start to parallel the folks into that pony cartoon. Yep, I just wrote that.

Dec 27, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #18,386 of 24,648

7/10

Taken with a grain of salt this is pretty entertaining, some interesting twists and turns albeit a slightly improbable and random story. "It just so happens that..." happens at least twice to many times but still quite fun.

Dec 27, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #18,387 of 24,648
Home alone-caught this on tv-watched it yrs ago 7/10
Avatar-rewatched-8.5/10-i wish id watched this on the big screen though

Dec 27, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #18,388 of 24,648
  My best theatre memory. I was in University and my buddies and I picked it randomly for something to do - we had no idea what it was about. Needless to say, it was a shocker
eek.gif

Re the matrix film-Certain people believe that the story has some TRUTH behind it-Deep stuff

Dec 27, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #18,389 of 24,648
Something that grabs me here is why rate a movie under 5.Bear with me here please.
Life is too short to sit through something that is bad imho-Just switch it off lol.
I accept that there are exceptions to the rule-eg-watching at the pics etc.

Dec 27, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #18,390 of 24,648
  Something that grabs me here is why rate a movie under 5.Bear with me here please.
Life is too short to sit through something that is bad imho-Just switch it off lol.
I accept that there are exceptions to the rule-eg-watching at the pics etc.

How do you know if you don´t see it through? Some movies you don´t get right away.

Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation

To dry there is no heart in this movie. And I don´t see how that cooling complex would be practical or work IRL was just designed to look spectacular or something. 7/10 there is some decent twists at least. What does IMF stand for btw? Impossible mission Force?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back