Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Dec 23, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #18,346 of 24,645

Ok, let me try to understand. Han Solo is a more substantial character because of his history as a smuggler, the Millenium Falcon, and Chewbacca, right?

Finn is a stormtrooper who defected. Let that sink in. 

The above statement has repercussions throughout the film, and is a subject previously never even considered in the previous storylines. A stormtrooper was usually a mindless soldier who couldn't hit the side of a barn with an RPG. Here, they become living, breathing souls with minds of their own.

Yes, a lot of the scenes were similar, and I don't think that was a mistake. JJ Abrams set up the film as both homage to the earlier ones, and as a bridge to an infinite future. The final scene alone has implications that could span the next few decades of Star Wars fans. There are so many questions left to be answered, so many plot lines to explore, and a literal universe of possibilities.

I didn't grow up watching Star Wars. My friends and I binge-watched the entire series in the nights before the premiere, and TFA feels like a natural progression of things. I have no clue what kind of character development is to be expected in the events occurring in the few days the movie took place, but what I saw was enough to convince me that it's more than worth following. Especially if they keep up the awesome cinematography and action scenes.

BTW, you're right about the cinematography and action scenes.

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #18,347 of 24,645
You are talking about the first few lines of a post, right?

You kind of have a way of coming across a bit confrontational. Maybe I am just reading into it,but maybe not. Something to be careful of anyway.

Yest first few lines.

I am just suggesting no censorship it´s the responsibility of those that hasn´t seen it to avoid dig to deep in threads like this where the spoiler risk is obvious. 

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #18,348 of 24,645
Bridge of Spies (2015)   8/10

Okay. It's a Speilberg film written by the Cohen Brothers so right off you know historical accuracy in characterizations is going to take a back seat to confection. That said, it covers the story and gets all the key points right if not going too deep into the outright disgraceful behavior with which the US treated Powers. This is about the brokering of the first spy exchange in the cold war and the setting of a precedent that could have gone either way. Up until then spies either turned coat or were executed. This new method of treatment was pivotal and became a new form of dialogue and trade between two countries in the infancy of learning how to play nice with their new nuclear toys.

The cutsieness Speilberg the confectioner puts in is forgivable here as if it had been a dark damp cold war film no one would have ever financed it and gotten that story out on film.

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #18,349 of 24,645
  Bridge of Spies (2015)   8/10

It's a Speilberg film written by the Cohen Brothers so right off you know historical accuracy in characterizations is going to take a back seat to confection. That said, it covers the story and gets all the key points right if not going too deep into the outright disgraceful behavior with which the US treated Powers.

From 1943 to 1945 James Donovan was General Counsel at the Office of Strategic Services.

The Office of Strategic Services (OSS) was a United States intelligence agency formed during World War II. It was a wartime intelligence agency, and a predecessor of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). The OSS was formed to coordinate espionage activities behind enemy lines for the United States Armed Forces branches. Other OSS functions included the use of propaganda,subversion, and post-war planning.

In the film Donovan was presented as a neutral independent side, who had no relation to the government. But in reality he  in the past served for an Intelligent Agency and he was presumably chosen by CIA to take part in Abel's defense and some people even think that it was CIA's idea to defend Abel from lethal persecution to later exchange him for an American spy.

Anyways the film omits information that Donovan served for an intelligent agency which gives different perspective on his involvement and real motives. In the film it was portrayed as an accident that he became a defender to Abel. In the film Donovan and CIA were portrayed as opponents while he actually used to work for this agency.

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #18,350 of 24,645

In the film Donovan was presented as a neutral independent side, who had no relation to the government. But in reality he  in the past served for an Intelligent Agency and he was presumably chosen by CIA to take part in Abel's defense and some people even think that it was CIA's idea to defend Abel from lethal persecution to later exchange him for an American spy.

Anyways the film omits information that Donovan served for an intelligent agency which gives different perspective on his involvement and real motives. In the film it was portrayed as an accident that he became a defender to Abel. In the film Donovan and CIA were portrayed as opponents while he actually used to work for this agency.

Little facts checking in order here. Here's a mediocre but mostly factually accurate version of his career.http://news.fordham.edu/fordham-magazine/metadiplomat-the-real-life-story-of-bridge-of-spies-hero-james-b-donovan/

He served only with the US Navy and later worked as a minor assistant prosecutor at the Nuremberg Trials. His small stint at OSS was as a lawyer and general council his responsibilities were filming and documenting Nazi war crimes in concentration camps and presenting that evidence at trial, and came after working for The Office of Scientific Research and Development .

The CIA was as big a mess if not bigger, back then during it's formation as it is now. To credit them with enough foresight to warehouse a spy for future currency is reaching a little bit. Conspiracy theorists love that stuff as it puts a polish on an agency that was still knee deep in trying to absorb and organize the staff from over 200 other smaller agencies gestated during the second world war and maintained during the cold war. The very name Central Intelligence Agency was chosen to reflect this. Donovan was pretty much as deep into espionage as much as the trillion lawyers now working for Homeland Security are deep into torture at rendering sites.

He was selected by the NY Bar for the Abel trial. Were they influenced? I am sure they were as alluded to in the judges performance in the film. They certainly did not get what they wanted if that were the case as the appeal episode is spot on in its context and portrayal in the film.

I wish he (Donovan) had in fact had some clout left with intelligence, it may have served Powers well if he had. Instead the only person in America that backed Powers upon his return was the designer of the US itself. Kelly Johnson the hard drinking immovable object Genius running Lockheeds Skunk Works employed him and was in absolute horror that the CIA in particular and America in general would turn so fast on a man doing his duty under the most extreme conditions imaginable at the time.

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #18,351 of 24,645
Just came home from Star Wars A Force Awakens and it´s better then I could ever imagine. I would actually suggest it´s the best of the movies so far. Question is if I would think it if I saw it first. Of course back then I would be absolutely blown away by the special effects bit so not entirely fair but I actually liked all the hints to the old movies and it´s a different experience if you watched them compared to if it´s your first. The interesting bit is to see how the new fans adapts to it. A lot of the jokes fall flat I suppose.

I liked what they did with the new sith apprentice and what a find with Rey. 9/10 I thought I would find a lot of things to complain about but no. And no lens flares!

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #18,352 of 24,645

Galaxy of Terror - 4/10

Shameless Alien / Solaris rip-off produced by the impresario of hokey, Roger Corman. Most notable perhaps for the involvement of James Cameron, as production designer - some five years before he directed Aliens. Strange to say, but watching this, it seems like some ideas stayed with him.

Dec 23, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #18,353 of 24,645

Galaxy of Terror - 4/10

Shameless Alien / Solaris rip-off produced by the impresario of hokey, Roger Corman. Most notable perhaps for the involvement of James Cameron, as production designer - some five years before he directed Aliens. Strange to say, but watching this, it seems like some ideas stayed with him.

Awsome B grade schlock from Corman's monster factory. Joannie from Happy Days in a sci fi flick with My Favorite Martian, how could that go wrong?  I have a weakness for bad scifi and this fills some unnamed void. Cameron also 2nd unit directed this and the ever present Bill Paxton worked on the sets. Watch the credits roll and see how many of the names show up in future Cameron films is always a fun game for Corman flics of this period.
I myself thought it was more a Forbidden Planet rip off but who's to mince "inspiration". Obviously the main idea that stayed with Cameron was the "borrowing" of plots from others. Cameron also met his first of 10thousand wives with Corman. Funnily Gale Anne Hurd's name does not show up on this one.

You must have caught this at a schlokfest or found it in a discount bin.

Dec 23, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #18,354 of 24,645
The Big Short - 9.25/10

Love it mostly except for the terrible camerawork. Reminds me of "The Office" but worse. Too annoying at the start of the movie and so many quick cuts of 10-15 seconds.
The first 20 minutes are not good, but it gets better. I also wish they didn't zoom in so close to the person's face when they talk. It doesn't help that I was too close to the screen.

Doesn't really fit into one genre. Sort of a Comedy, Drama or Thriller.

I think I will read the book and see it again. This one deserves to be seen!

6 million people lost their houses? Hard to believe!

Oh and a few things were over my head a little, but they talk so fast in this movie so that it's hard to get it all.
Watching it with subtitles would help!

The director also tends to try to annoy his audience too much.

Dec 24, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #18,355 of 24,645
Concussion (2015)                      8.5/10

Whats this? Two hwood films questioning the American Way in a row? You'd a never seen that with Bush in office
biggrin.gif
    In all seriousness folks this would be a must see. Much like Imitation Game was last year. Takes the usual route of an expository film so no surprises or turns that you would not expect or have not seen. The performances are admirable. When Smith is not being cool he can infact turn in surprisingly good performances. The supporting cast is well picked and quite stellar.  I like this film more than I should just because of the guts it took to bring it to the screen. A story that needed to be told yes, but also vitally important to anyone anywhere in an occupation or accident that may have left them concussed. Parents with children involved in contact sports should put this on the immediate watch list.  It's one of those films where you will definitely want to pick up the book afterwards to get the whole details. Consider the film the brief.

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #18,356 of 24,645
  Star Wars: The Force Awakens.   4/10   If you grew up with the last series you will like this one and more than likely give it an 8/10.

As mentioned previously it is indeed just a rehash of the Original Star Wars script. 

I just recently watched the original trilogy.I didnt really gel with the new characters and yes the plot was a rehash.
I was disappointed.The new droid was good though.6/10

Dec 24, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #18,358 of 24,645

Awsome B grade schlock from Corman's monster factory. Joannie from Happy Days in a sci fi flick with My Favorite Martian, how could that go wrong?  I have a weakness for bad scifi and this fills some unnamed void. Cameron also 2nd unit directed this and the ever present Bill Paxton worked on the sets. Watch the credits roll and see how many of the names show up in future Cameron films is always a fun game for Corman flics of this period.
I myself thought it was more a Forbidden Planet rip off but who's to mince "inspiration". Obviously the main idea that stayed with Cameron was the "borrowing" of plots from others. Cameron also met his first of 10thousand wives with Corman. Funnily Gale Anne Hurd's name does not show up on this one.

You must have caught this at a schlokfest or found it in a discount bin.

I slept through it at a schlokfest and found it in on YouTube to watch later. Struggled not to sleep through it again at times 
wink.gif
 I have a penchant for B horror, sci-fi - not so much. I was actually reminded more of Aliens than Alien to be honest, in terms of the sets, but then GOT came before that so... and the characters did remind me of the crew from Alien - the psychic girl in particular recalled the often hysterical Lambert, Kore for Ash etc. The Solaris reference was just down to them encountering products of their own minds. Haven't seen Forbidden Planet, but it's on the list!

Dec 24, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #18,359 of 24,645

I slept through it at a schlokfest and found it in on YouTube to watch later. Struggled not to sleep through it again at times 
wink.gif
 I have a penchant for B horror, sci-fi - not so much. I was actually reminded more of Aliens than Alien to be honest, in terms of the sets, but then GOT came before that so... and the characters did remind me of the crew from Alien - the psychic girl in particular recalled the often hysterical Lambert, Kore for Ash etc. The Solaris reference was just down to them encountering products of their own minds. Haven't seen Forbidden Planet, but it's on the list!

This shocks me:)   Phenomenal film that will be tainted forever for latecomers by Leslie Nielsons typecast as a comedic actor in his later years. In truth he was tagged as leading man, drama, material by Hwood in the era. Tall, Blond and steely eyed the career set out for him never really materialized. Forbidden Planet itself was a milestone for it's use of Shakespeare as a story. Not even the ever self indulgent Brannagh would have dared to set the Bard's work in outer space. The obvious audiophile tie in with a certain amp maker allegedly taking it's name from the alien race. It is the solid 10 of 50's scifi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back