Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Dec 22, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #18,316 of 24,645

I grew up with the original and I loved TFA. Don't often disagree with you Hutnicks, but this is one of those times - I think it's actually people who grew up watching the OT that will get the most from this installment, especially after the massive let-down of the prequels. I get all the criticism about the derivative nature of it, just that none of that really seemed to matter, in this particular instance. Maybe the rose-tinted 3D specs were strong with me. 
cool.gif

I can hardly wait until everyone has seen it so we can all get into a discussion about it in depth.:)

On to the next victim.

The Hateful 8:           5/10

Or Tarantino forgets how to make a Tarantino film and winds up coming off as a cheap knock off of himself. This was a hard one for me. All was well (albiet not great) up until the first flashback scene. The inevitable Tarantino device gets a new deal in this one and it is not a good one in my opinion. It comes off as pandering to the audience and is completely superfluous to the plottings. What could have been a decent Western Whodunnit gets turned into a sop of a film that comes across as "Tarantino for Dummies" I see a lot of this coming out of Hollywood of late where the audience gets treated at a Dr Suess level and it isn't pretty.

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #18,318 of 24,645
Dang Hutnicks, you've got a raging case of negativity diarrhea bro!

just kidding
wink.gif

No. I agree with you. Looking back the only films I am having a good time with are Foreign of late. That makes me feel I should give you guys a break and stop watching HWood films for a long time.

There is suspension of disbelief and then there is treating the audience like idiots. Hwood seems to have confused the two in the last little while.

I am sure a lot of die hard Tarantino fans will like 8, but it just doesnt live up to the films (Dogs , Fiction) that it tried so hard to ape.

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #18,319 of 24,645
No. I agree with you. Looking back the only films I am having a good time with are Foreign of late. That makes me feel I should give you guys a break and stop watching HWood films for a long time.

There is suspension of disbelief and then there is treating the audience like idiots. Hwood seems to have confused the two in the last little while.

I am sure a lot of die hard Tarantino fans will like 8, but it just doesnt live up to the films (Dogs , Fiction) that it tried so hard to ape.

I'm a fan of Tarantino's films, but I have to admit the trailers for "8" haven't done much for me. Given the running time I'll probably wait until it's on bluray unless I just get an itch in the meantime.

I personally don't mind negative reviews, assuming they're sincere...which I've always gotten the impression yours are. Some post negative feedback for the attention (just as some reviewers strategically become the contrarian in order to get clicks), and that's when I start to get annoyed. I don't really get that impression from the regulars in this forum, though...thankfully.

So....crap on, brother! (hehe)

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #18,320 of 24,645

On to the next victim.

The Hateful 8:           5/10

Or Tarantino forgets how to make a Tarantino film and winds up coming off as a cheap knock off of himself. This was a hard one for me. All was well (albiet not great) up until the first flashback scene. The inevitable Tarantino device gets a new deal in this one and it is not a good one in my opinion. It comes off as pandering to the audience and is completely superfluous to the plottings. What could have been a decent Western Whodunnit gets turned into a sop of a film that comes across as "Tarantino for Dummies" I see a lot of this coming out of Hollywood of late where the audience gets treated at a Dr Suess level and it isn't pretty.

Hasn't he been doing this for about five films now? 
biggrin.gif
 I know we've discussed QT at length on here before, but I gotta say I don't even have any real interest in even seeing the Hateful 8. Sadly, the way you describe it is exactly what I would've expected. Django could have been OK too if it wasn't for the ludicrously OTT last act and the fact you feel like QT is there with you, watching it, constantly digging you in the ribs and going "how cool is this? how cool am I?"

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #18,321 of 24,645

Hasn't he been doing this for about five films now? 
biggrin.gif
 I know we've discussed QT at length on here before, but I gotta say I don't even have any real interest in even seeing the Hateful 8. Sadly, the way you describe it is exactly what I would've expected. Django could have been OK too if it wasn't for the ludicrously OTT last act and the fact you feel like QT is there with you, watching it, constantly digging you in the ribs and going "how cool is this? how cool am I?"

Precisely what's going on here. Or to be more accurate damn near inserts right into the film "See what I did there."  I think the whole grindhouse thing bent his head to a point it's never coming back from. 

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #18,322 of 24,645

Finn has none of that. He's a guy who became an ex-stormtrooper 5 minutes into the movie and that's it.  He's barely more interesting than Poe Dameron. .

This is an odd criticism and one I disagree with. Even FINN has no idea who the hell he is. He's trying to figure out where to go, who to trust, which side to take, and even what the hell is damn name is lol. To expect more character development than what you got is just unrealistic. As the title suggests, but without giving too much away, this film is about awakenings. Not just the force, but in other areas, as well. The three main characters (Rey, Kylo and Finn) are young and searching, each in their own ways, and with varying degrees of willingness/reluctance. We're going on a journey with these characters, and things are designed to be scattered and uncertain.

Apparently, expecting any character development at all was unrealistic.  He doesn't know what side to take? He chose sides barely after the end of the opening crawl.  He doesn't know who to trust?  He certainly seems to trust Rey an awful lot.  Rey and Ren are certainly going on a journey, but so far Finn just seems to be along for the ride.

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #18,323 of 24,645

Apparently, expecting any character development at all was unrealistic.  He doesn't know what side to take? He chose sides barely after the end of the opening crawl.  He doesn't know who to trust?  He certainly seems to trust Rey an awful lot.  Rey and Ren are certainly going on a journey, but so far Finn just seems to be along for the ride.

I don't think it's that unusual for a film to start out at a crossroads in a character's life, bidding you imagine their backstory up to that point for yourself. If TFA were to tell the whole backstory of Finn prior to his defection, it'd need to be a much longer movie than it already is and IMO wouldn't gain anything from it, other than unnecessary exposition. There are plenty of other films where we first encounter a protagonist at a crucial juncture in their lives and often don't get (or need) to see the story leading up to that point.

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #18,324 of 24,645

I don't think it's that unusual for a film to start out at a crossroads in a character's life, bidding you imagine their backstory up to that point for yourself. If TFA were to tell the whole backstory of Finn prior to his defection, it'd need to be a much longer movie than it already is and IMO wouldn't gain anything from it, other than unnecessary exposition. There are plenty of other films where we first encounter a protagonist at a crucial juncture in their lives and often don't get (or need) to see the story leading up to that point.

In other words. It would obliterate the opportunity to cash in on a "Finn: Origins" film.  I think thats what creeped me out the most about TFA, the blatant set ups for more and more films, tv series, lunchboxes, wallpapers, and who knows what else.

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #18,325 of 24,645
Star Wars: The Force Awakens 7.5/10

Doesn't work for those who haven't seen the original in childhood in the same manner as for fans. It is perceived as another typical Hollywood's sci-fi/ fantasy blockbuster for young adults like Star Trek, X-Men, Avengers etc. There was naive sincerity and even some kind idealism in the original ( 1977) which the new film doesn't have. I didn't really care about two young protagonists ( Finn and a girl) and their relationship didn't seem to me believable. Also I didn't find the film gripping and absorbing. There were generic blockbusters this year which were more interesting to me to watch. I remember I was entertained by Terminator Genisys despite its flaws and poor reviews. 

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #18,326 of 24,645

Yeah, except for the part where 

He ditches them when they get to the inn, to find a ride to the end of the galaxy. He changes his mind, obviously. However, his intentions were pretty clear from the beginning that all he wanted was a pilot, then a way to run as far from the order as he could. He changes his mind for obvious reasons...

...a heck of a lot like the beloved Han Solo. I'm really having trouble understanding the vitriol here. 

A New Hope was the exact same thing. I think a lot of people are trying to rate VII through the lens of the original trilogy that had decades to marinate in the minds of, and be romanticized by, the original viewers. 

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #18,327 of 24,645

Y
  ...a heck of a lot like the beloved Han Solo. I'm really having trouble understanding the vitriol here. 

A New Hope was the exact same thing. I think a lot of people are trying to rate VII through the lens of the original trilogy that had decades to marinate in the minds of, and be romanticized by, the original viewers. 

I think that's the whole point. It's a "Find and Replace" characterization, sans any significant character development.

It's not romanticization, it's the fact that it was groundbreaking, and spectacular in it's original form. Those effect were created for that movie and in essence redefined SFX into what it is today. That said there are very few around who do not consider the second and third installments of the first series to be a bit of a let down.
When you go back in time and rehash something that had such an impact you are just asking for trouble.

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #18,328 of 24,645
  there are very few around who do not consider the second and third installments of the first series to be a bit of a let down.

Maybe I'm not reading this right, but most people I know consider the 2nd film (Empire) to be the best star wars film ever. 

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #18,329 of 24,645

I think a lot of people are trying to rate VII through the lens of the original trilogy that had decades to marinate in the minds of, and be romanticized by, the original viewers. 

Agreed. These are iconic characters of film we've come to know and love, and it's hard to remember them in their pre-icon state. 

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #18,330 of 24,645
Taking a poll. I will see star wars on the 28th. Anyone seeing it later? Wondering if we can get a date where we can lift the spoiler embargo hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back