Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Nov 24, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #18,181 of 24,651
Brazil - 3/10

First time i've seen this in maybe 15 years. Somehow I only could remember only 2 parts. The funeral and the new office!
Didn't like this when I was younger and still don't. Some good ideas, but I found it pretty painful to watch. Took me 3 tries to finish it.
I'm not a fan of this director at all.

PS I was also very bored and went to see Mockingjay Part 2 a 2nd time (gave it a 8/10).
Normally I wouldn't do this, but I wanted to get out of the house and I live next door to the theater.
Still would give it an 8/10. None of them make me think that much, but this one does a little. More so than even the first.
They're still just popcorn flicks to me, but that's OK.

The pacing of part 2 is kind of weird. Taking awhile to get interesting and rather slow at first. Never boring though.

Did Katniss try to commit suicide at the end by pulling out the pill? I didn't see it in the movie! Or was it just in the book? Maybe I missed it TWO times!!

Nov 27, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #18,182 of 24,651

Amazing amount of hate out there for this. All I can guess is they are taking it all to seriously?

8/10

Nov 27, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #18,183 of 24,651

Spider Labyrinth - 6/10

Obscure late 80s horror strongly influenced by early Argento (Suspiria, Inferno) and actually a darn sight better than late Argento (Stendhal Syndrome, Do You Like Hitchcock?). It's not just a stylistic influence, in terms of the psychedelic lighting - themes of the supernatural, secret sects and the darkness of old Europe are all in there too. So not highly original, but decently made with some nice old school prosthetics and the obligatory wooden lead.

Nov 27, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #18,184 of 24,651

Spider Labyrinth - 6/10

Obscure late 80s horror strongly influenced by early Argento (Suspiria, Inferno) and actually a darn sight better than late Argento (Stendhal Syndrome, Do You Like Hitchcock?). It's not just a stylistic influence, in terms of the psychedelic lighting - themes of the supernatural, secret sects and the darkness of old Europe are all in there too. So not highly original, but decently made with some nice old school prosthetics and the obligatory wooden lead.

In the mid 1990s there was a huge Argento surge in popularity. I collected the Gobin soundtracks, purchased Suspiria on VHS then later on DVD. All these years later I'm still deliriously amazed at the lasting power of Suspiria. I maybe watch it once a year. To think that he achieved those colors before computer manipulation is nothing short of a cinematic break-though.

Probably the greatest achievement he has accomplished with Susperia is mood? Still how,.........I don't know. Is it the beginning seeing the woods traveling from the airport? Is it the introduction of the colors? Is it the music, or the acting. This ends up being a profound mystery that I will never be able to answer for myself.

Still what Susperia contains is what is missing from modern thriller cinema. The fact that the production keys have already been invented and given to the modern-day directors and producers is apparent. The fact that even with the blueprint being handed down, modern film still fails to achieve the level of quality of Argento, remains to cement the realization of his cinematic genius.

These poor filmmakers can't even shine his shoes.:sunglasses:

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #18,185 of 24,651
In the mid 1990s there was a huge Argento surge in popularity. I collected the Gobin soundtracks, purchased Suspiria on VHS then later on DVD. All these years later I'm still deliriously amazed at the lasting power of Suspiria. I maybe watch it once a year. To think that he achieved those colors before computer manipulation is nothing short of a cinematic break-though.

Probably the greatest achievement he has accomplished with Susperia is mood? Still how,.........I don't know. Is it the beginning seeing the woods traveling from the airport? Is it the introduction of the colors? Is it the music, or the acting. This ends up being a profound mystery that I will never be able to answer for myself.

Still what Susperia contains is what is missing from modern thriller cinema. The fact that the production keys have already been invented and given to the modern-day directors and producers is apparent. The fact that even with the blueprint being handed down, modern film still fails to achieve the level of quality of Argento, remains to cement the realization of his cinematic genius.

These poor filmmakers can't even shine his shoes.:sunglasses:

Yes, Suspiria is Argento's crowning achievement I think; fantastic film. The lighting and colours are simply amazing, as you say, and Goblin's main theme goes perfectly with the surreal, sinister mood of the movie. I was lucky enough to see it on the big screen last year, where the colours really came alive! I'd like to say Argento was a cinematic genius, but his post-Opera output makes me question that. Still, the legacy of his truly great films - Suspiria, Deep Red, Tenebre - lives on.

Nov 28, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #18,186 of 24,651
Yes, Suspiria is Argento's crowning achievement I think; fantastic film. The lighting and colours are simply amazing, as you say, and Goblin's main theme goes perfectly with the surreal, sinister mood of the movie. I was lucky enough to see it on the big screen last year, where the colours really came alive! I'd like to say Argento was a cinematicproc genius, but his post-Opera output makes me question that. Still, the legacy of his truly great films - Suspiria, Deep Red, Tenebre - lives on.

I have not seen Tenebre in 20 years. Last I owned it was on one of those big 12 inch silver laser disks. I should seek it out. Opera is fantastic though I have not seen everything by him. Sorry to say I don't even remember Deep Red though I know I have seen it.

I think it is a challange to make a movie like Susperia. It is almost a magic where everything just comes together. I don't think his greatness could always get us a masterpiece, and yes, I have seen his Phantom of the Opera. Maybe these filmmakers get sidetracked by what they think they need to do to make money.

Still I do question why filmmakers have never replicated the intensity of Susperia. They fact that the movie makes most films of the genre look like high school projects?

But for whatever reason Susperia became for him what Psycho was for Hitchcock? It let people realize that there was more you could do with the art form. Seeing it on a big screen must have been amazing. Every year I notice another wild element, like the wall painting, which just adds to the whole school building being a character of evil. Lol

Nov 28, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #18,187 of 24,651
The Good Dinosaur- 8/10 a nice tale of growth, overcoming fears, and family. Plenty of funny moments, scary (for kids, of course), action and sad moments. Graphics are top notch with picturesque environments and contrasting it with cartoony yet detailed characters. The story is straightforward and paced well. No musical numbers where the characters break out in song. An overall great movie to take the family to.

Nov 30, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #18,188 of 24,651
Vacation - 5.5/10

First half hour was just painful. Can't believe someone writing the script thought some parts of it would be funny.
The whole thing about Debbie Do-anything and the kid who is always saying the F-word and putting bags over peoples heads to suffocate them.
People vomiting is also not funny. I'm sure it could be made funny, but not sure how..

I laughed a few times, but this is definitely not really worth watching. Ed Helms is one of the most un-funny people in the movies.
I guess he got a lot of roles because of the overrated movie "The Hangover".

I wouldn't called it terrible..a lot of it was sort of amusing, but not all that funny.

Strangely enough the most unfunny comedy i've ever seen is "National Lampoons European Vacation".
This one is actually better...somehow.

Nov 30, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #18,189 of 24,651
iceman_ver2.jpg

7/10 - enjoyed. Did not realize it was a true story until the end!

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #18,190 of 24,651
Black Mass - 7.8/10 
Seriously good movie. Worth watching a second time and I will soon. J Depp is such a top dog. Brilliant.

Straight Outta Compton - 4.5/10
Had to see it. Not that I expected greatness but it was pretty bad. Paul Giamatti may have saved it from debacle.

Dec 3, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #18,191 of 24,651
That's what Russians will watch on Christmas this year

The Visit ( 2015) 7.5/10

Shyamalan gave up his usual introvert mystical humanism ( the reason why I was particularly biased toward his films, he doesn't have competition in this specific niche in America) which seemed to irritate general audience and shot a proper indie horror film with comedic elements.  

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #18,192 of 24,651

. 8-10

Dec 4, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #18,193 of 24,651
^ point eight?

That top photo is visually amazing IMO. Makes me want to see the movie on that alone.

Dec 4, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #18,194 of 24,651
The Hangover Part II - 5/10

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Predictably takes the formula of the first film and tries to turn the dial up to 11 - incredibly stupid, but not without a few laughs along the way.

The Wolf of Wall Street - 7/10

Very good - well-made, highly watchable - just not vintage Scorsese. The cynic in me can't help feeling he was cashing in on the general negativity towards the industry, spoon-feeding people what they crave and what they think they already know: that Wall Street is basically Goodfellas in an office. The extremes of greed and debauchery throughout the 80s isn't news; Wall Street already did the whole black soul of banking thing when it was fresher and closer to the bone.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #18,195 of 24,651
  The Wolf of Wall Street - 7/10

I really wanted to like this more. It is good - very well-made, very watchable - just not vintage Scorsese. The cynic in me can't help feeling he was cashing in on the general negativity towards the industry, spoon-feeding people what they crave and what they think they already know: that Wall Street is basically Goodfellas in an office. The extremes of greed and debauchery throughout the 80s isn't news; 'Wall Street' already did the whole black soul of banking thing when it was fresher and closer to the bone.

I have a feeling that Scorsese is fascinated by bad guys which he portrays. It is like some young guys romanticize criminal life and gangsters. In the Wolf there is yet another charismatic and anarchic wrong doer. So his main theme is pretty repetitive from film to film with some exceptions. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back