Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Sep 15, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #17,926 of 24,647
  There're plenty of films where they stuff excellent actors into a mediocore plot and The Imitation Game is one of those. 

Which is really a shame as the story is a very interesting one. There was no need to put in fictions such as them having the say on what intelligence was distributed. Those decisions were made far above their pay grade.

For contrasts sake I would highly recommend HBO's "Doomsday Gun" . Treatment of a flawed genius in stressful times done incredibly well. Gets fantastic performances from the cast is plotted and paced perfectly and is historically inaccurate by virtue of having compressed events into a much shorter time frame then they actually occurred.

Sep 15, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #17,927 of 24,647
Which is really a shame as the story is a very interesting one. There was no need to put in fictions such as them having the say on what intelligence was distributed. Those decisions were made far above their pay grade.

For contrasts sake I would highly recommend HBO's "Doomsday Gun" . Treatment of a flawed genius in stressful times done incredibly well. Gets fantastic performances from the cast is plotted and paced perfectly and is historically inaccurate by virtue of having compressed events into a much shorter time frame then they actually occurred.

Interesting choice, cos I actually watched halfway and walked away. Maybe because I was small at the time and don't have the knowledge about the topic.

Sep 17, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #17,928 of 24,647

Asylum - 7/10

Robert Bloch-penned early 70s Amicus anthology movie that treats mental illness with sensitivity and restraint... of course it doesn't, but it does feature Herbert Lom projecting his consciousness into a tiny doll and an animated corpse carefully wrapped in brown paper and string. They just don't make 'em like this anymore.

Sep 17, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #17,929 of 24,647
The Gamechangers (2015)   8/10

A film with obvious agendas, but entertaining in the manner of "The Social Network". I think it is a better constructed film and deals with the controversy over the violence in GTA. Daniel Radcliffe and Bill Paxton do a very good job at showing the diametric opposites of the personalities involved.

If you are a gamer or techno geek of any type this is a film well worth watching.

Sep 18, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #17,930 of 24,647
Everest - 8/10

Saw the Imax 3D version since it was the only version playing.
Liked it, but very sad. Totally not a Hollywood type movie. Seems pretty realistic.

Pretty good cast in this one too, but hard to tell who is who when on the mountain.

I got a free ticket for this since my last viewing of "A Walk in the Woods" was way too dim/dark.

BTW I saw that movie 5 times in the theater. I even read the book and found the movie a little better.
Pretty simple movie and I really just like it's characters. Nick Nolte made it even better.
Nothing too deep and just a fun popcorn movie that's not stupid. It's pretty funny too.

I prefer it to something like "Wild", but you can't compare the two really. That's more of a Lifetime channel movie in comparison.

Sep 18, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #17,931 of 24,647
How many times do you see a movie in the cinema on average :)

Everest is high on the movies to see.

Sep 18, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #17,932 of 24,647
  How many times do you see a movie in the cinema on average :)

Everest is high on the movies to see.

About once, but here are my records (i'm bored):

13 - Interstellar
6 - Home Alone - I was around 10 when it came out..now 35. Hard to believe!
5 - A Walk in the Woods
3 - District 9
2 - Into the Wild

I live within 5 minutes of an Imax theater so when I need a break from a hard day of work i'll usually see a movie.
Sometimes they play nothing but garbage and unfortunately it's an expensive theater for my area. Around $9.50 each. I know that's probably cheap compared to California?

Interesting fact..I rewatch movies at home over and over. Sometimes for "work" i can have a movie in the background playing.
I usually watch something like "The Great Escape" or whatever is long and not too stupid. I've seen that at least a hundred times!

Some movies finally get worse after viewing 25 or so
confused_face_2.gif
Like "Forrest Gump"..

Sep 18, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #17,934 of 24,647
I found the last movies of Ridley Scott ( Prometheus, The Counselor) passable. I didn't even bother to watch his latest Exodus: Gods and Kings. I doubt I will enjoy The Martian but it looks like an anticipated project in media.

Sep 18, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #17,935 of 24,647
I found Prometheus got better on the second viewing. The councelor holds little interest as its Cormac McCarthy and if you've read one of his books you've read them all, the movies follow the same pattern.

The Martian holds some promise as it is essentially a one man play. I'm sure even the obligatory eye candy (Kate Mara (why is she still working after Flop4?)) won't be able to dumb it down the usual level of Hollyboredom. It was and is based on real science so there is hope there.

While on the topic of new films. I have hopes for Frears "The Program" I have shied away from the Lance documentaries for the reasons that they are still sanitizing the whole affair. This one, done from the point of view of the journalist who's career ( and life) was nearly destroyed by his tenacious work in exposing the greatest sports crime in history may finally shed a matchsticks worth of light on the scope of the deception. Lance was the main beneficiary to be sure and deserved to be banned for life if not longer, the organizations and media who were complicit (many of whom are still working and profiting) have never been exposed.

So. What films are you folks dying to see?

Sep 19, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #17,940 of 24,647
San Andreas. There is no reason to rate this I just wonder if it´s made deliberately bad? The CGI in very low budget movies is better then this? The movie lost me on the first action scene with the car going over a cliff after that I just candy crushed like a maniac every time I took a glance at the movie I wanted to look away.

Is this kind of an Asylum movie? I have never seen an Asylum but a movie they try to make so bad it get entertaining? The fascinating thing is that this movie made it to the cinemas over here... And over here cinema tickets cost 18$ and it´s NOT IMAX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back