Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Aug 15, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #17,762 of 24,648
Yeah I guess I'm not really down with the point F - I personally think QT long since stopped being the benchmark of truly innovative film-making; right around the time he got sucked in by the gravity of his own enormous ego. I really enjoyed his original crime trilogy - back then he was writing tight plots, with smart dialogue and making inspired casting choices, but since KB he's been on a trajectory that's become ever more bombastic, preposterous and self-aggrandizing. IMO. YMMV. :wink:  

I understand your point, but it's essentially the same criticism that almost universally befalls every artist who garners mainstream attention or success. Even though Django wasnt my favorite QT film, I still enjoyed the "no idea what will happen next" aspect. I think thats something you can rely on to a large degree with QT, and compared to all the big budget studio releases, his stuff always delivers in that regard...IMO :)

Aug 15, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #17,763 of 24,648
The Host is a really cool creature feature, but Memories of Murder is his masterpiece for me - sprawling and subtle.
Nice, will add them both :)

Aug 15, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #17,764 of 24,648
I understand your point, but it's essentially the same criticism that almost universally befalls every artist who garners mainstream attention or success. Even though Django wasnt my favorite QT film, I still enjoyed the "no idea what will happen next" aspect. I think thats something you can rely on to a large degree with QT, and compared to all the big budget studio releases, his stuff always delivers in that regard...IMO
smily_headphones1.gif

Fair point - within the big budget studio system, I guess he is still is one of the more unpredictable guys and not just a hired gun like a lot of directors. On that basis, I suppose more directly comparable directors might be the likes of PTA (who we've discussed before), Chris Nolan, Nic Winding Refn.

Aug 15, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #17,765 of 24,648

Yeah I guess I'm not really down with the point F - I personally think QT long since stopped being the benchmark of truly innovative film-making; right around the time he got sucked in by the gravity of his own enormous ego. I really enjoyed his original crime trilogy - back then he was writing tight plots, with smart dialogue and making inspired casting choices, but since KB he's been on a trajectory that's become ever more bombastic, preposterous and self-aggrandizing. IMO. YMMV. 
wink.gif

It all went south for me with Tarantino during his grindhouse period. The slickness he displayed up until then turned around on him and he wound up being a B movie parody of himself. Whether intentional or not it stuck him in that mold.

Django to me, was the proof that he had lost his original impetus. It went round and round and never fleshed itself out into a whole film. It sprawled around and reminded me more of O Brother Where art though than anything else.

Inglorious was just stupid.

Tarantino works best with dark interior shots and a closed in almost claustrophobia inducing ensemble cast. When he spreads out he loses the plot and becomes just another director.

8 looks like it could be a film that brings it back into the house, so to speak. I am rooting for it, but not hopeful.

Aug 15, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #17,767 of 24,648
Dude...are you serious? Stupid?

Absolutely. A story that could well have come from 5 kids at the playground playing with green army men. If anyone but Tarantino had made that film they'd be serving fries right now.

Why crap like that does not work and why things like The Dirty Dozen and Where Eagles Dare do is they do not try to rewrite commonly known history on a grand scale. Right off the bat the film fails in suspension of disbelief, when you see how it gets over the top (battlefield earth style) characterizations you just have to roll your eyes and pray it's not going to be too long a film, or hope the cashier is still there so you can get your money back and escape. It dragged to much residual grindhouse crap into the mix and suffered horribly from it.

Had QT stuck to his strengths and taken on a smaller plotline that did not involve the complete revision of the second world war he might have succeeded. As it goes, I will bet in 10 years Tarantino himself will say it was a film he wished he did not make.

Aug 16, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #17,768 of 24,648
It all went south for me with Tarantino during his grindhouse period. The slickness he displayed up until then turned around on him and he wound up being a B movie parody of himself. Whether intentional or not it stuck him in that mold.

Django to me, was the proof that he had lost his original impetus. It went round and round and never fleshed itself out into a whole film. It sprawled around and reminded me more of O Brother Where art though than anything else.

Inglorious was just stupid.

Tarantino works best with dark interior shots and a closed in almost claustrophobia inducing ensemble cast. When he spreads out he loses the plot and becomes just another director.

8 looks like it could be a film that brings it back into the house, so to speak. I am rooting for it, but not hopeful.

In 1994 when in Pulp Fiction I saw Samuel L. Jackson I thought how special and great. Later I realized it was Martin Luther King Jr. the minister copied 100%.

In interviews Jackson always states "Oh, I don't know where it came from, it was not scripted?"

Really?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oehry1JC9Rk

It's an imitation of Martin Luther King Jr? Only it's so out of place you never do a connection? Martin Luther King with a gun,...........how ? Ironic?

All the movies are just like that. Inglorious Basterds is exactly the same way, not life but super life. The beginning when Christoph Waltz does that interview, or when they are in the bar, before the gun fight.it is the same energy as the Samuel L. Jackson part in Pulp Fiction. The energy of the gun.

They are stupid as how could life actually be like that? It is a toughness that we will see again in The Hateful Eight.

Aug 16, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #17,769 of 24,648

In 1994 when in Pulp Fiction I saw Samuel L. Jackson I thought how special and great. Later I realized it was Martin Luther King Jr. the minister copied 100%.

In interviews Jackson always states "Oh, I don't know where it came from, it was not scripted?"

Really?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oehry1JC9Rk

It's an imitation of Martin Luther King Jr? Only it's so out of place you never do a connection? Martin Luther King with a gun,...........how ? Ironic?

All the movies are just like that. Inglorious Basterds is exactly the same way, not life but super life. The beginning when Christoph Waltz does that interview, or when they are in the bar, before the gun fight.it is the same energy as the Samuel L. Jackson part in Pulp Fiction. The energy of the gun.

They are stupid as how could life actually be like that? It is a toughness that we will see again in The Hateful Eight.

The theory of TRIZ applies equally to filmaking as it does to everything else. There are few new ideas, only new iterations of old ones.

I'm digging myslef in a hole here as I know IB is considered my many to actually be a film. It's not popular to knock anything by Tarantino, but I am sticking to my opinion on this. The thing with Pulp and Resevoir is you could actually believe that gangsta's act that way. The begining of IB (even though stolen from a Spaghetti Western) set  up for a premise the film never delivered on. It wound up more bugs bunny than revenge thriller.

Aug 16, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #17,770 of 24,648
Absolutely. A story that could well have come from 5 kids at the playground playing with green army men. If anyone but Tarantino had made that film they'd be serving fries right now.

Why crap like that does not work and why things like The Dirty Dozen and Where Eagles Dare do is they do not try to rewrite commonly known history on a grand scale. Right off the bat the film fails in suspension of disbelief, when you see how it gets over the top (battlefield earth style) characterizations you just have to roll your eyes and pray it's not going to be too long a film, or hope the cashier is still there so you can get your money back and escape. It dragged to much residual grindhouse crap into the mix and suffered horribly from it.

Had QT stuck to his strengths and taken on a smaller plotline that did not involve the complete revision of the second world war he might have succeeded. As it goes, I will bet in 10 years Tarantino himself will say it was a film he wished he did not make.

Man I hope I never analyze films the way some of you guys do...oy vey lol

Aug 16, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #17,771 of 24,648
(WARNING: CONTAINS BOLD ITALICS WORLD FOR EPICNESS)

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE (That always end up possible) 
ROGUE NATION

Here we go again...

DUN DUN DEDUN DUN DUN DELEDUN.........................................................

The IMF is going after a secret organisation called THE SYNDICATE. THE SYNDICATE is a organisation aim to kill people in order to disrupt world government. After being set up in London, Ethan is on the run to catch the leader of THE SYNDICATE, with the CIA on his back catching him for treason. All hell break loose. Can he make it?

Mission Impossible has always had a great action espionage story with a terrific cast of actors that can deliver the twisty tension in all of this glittering chase (except MI2, doves
mad.gif
). And in this case, **** me, it's the best one of the series. The villain is the most imitating and the smartest in the series, which means Ethan has to work harder to catch him, which also means Tom Cruise have a chance to put out a great performance AND HE NAILS IT. Simon Pegg is funny and very well acted,
J̶e̶r̶e̶m̶y̶ ̶R̶e̶n̶n̶e̶r̶  Hawkeye is great, Ving Rhames is great as always. Rebecca Ferguson, damn she's great. Action wise, most of the stunts are practical effects, from the famous plane hanging, to the car/bike chase, by Tom Cruise. Yes ladies and gentlemen, 53 year old Scientologist just drove a BMW in the streets of Casablanca, ride a bike in the Morocco highway, holding his breathe underwater, and hangs himself onto a military plane (but not jumping on the sofa). What's more better is that the stunts looks better and authentic, making a great eye candy to have.

In the end, Rogue Nation continues the awesomeness of Mission Impossible and delivers to great heights with it's effective and skillful stunts and a strong cast.

9.3/10 

Aug 16, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #17,773 of 24,648
Fantastic thread gentlemen.Im trying to catch up on my films.
I am wanting quality recommendations.
I think i will watch elephant song based on what has been said here.
I think ive watched the majority of good box sets,
sopranos
the wire
walking dead
breaking bad
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back