Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jul 24, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #17,656 of 24,647
There was a tension around this film in Russia. It was ready for wide release there in spring but just before premiere its licence was canceled by the Russian Ministry of Culture. It was also cancelled in Belarus and Kazakhstan because the distribution rights belonged to a Russian company.

:fearful: their psychological political impact. I just look at them (movies) as art and machines of story. Still of course very few folks are striving to really learn the truth in world politics? Movies do have a subliminal and direct way of forming our views of the world. The stupidest thing you could do it learn your world history from a $15 DVD and take it as fact. It's just some farce written by some writer with his own ideas of the past and his own political values which get interjection anyway.

The sad part is that the world is influenced by movies. The fact that the same repetitive themes form views even if we want them to or not! The line between documentary and drama is not really that clear, when the mind is taking in information.

The movie really started in history as narritive stories passed down verbally from wise men before the invention of film or electricity. Even then, the repeated themes layed a concrete world view to those younglings sitting around the campfire.

No stopping the machine and it's effect on your mind, unless you just read old books.

Jul 25, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #17,658 of 24,647

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night 5/10

Iranian emo horror flick - stylishly shot, but pretty lightweight and somewhat sketchy-feeling, despite the near 2 hour run time.

Entire film shot in California by a director who was born in England and then moved to USA. Main actress is pure American. There is something deceiving in marketing this film as Iranian. I understand that it doesn't claim directly to be Iranian. The movie felt kind of gimmicky to me though I have to admit photography was interesting. But the content is exploitative parasitizing on topical social issues which I don't really like. It's like if the film wasn't "Iranian" and also provocative against Muslim patriarchal culture of Iran nobody would have watched it.

Jul 25, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #17,659 of 24,647
Terminator 3  7/10. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this one. I didn´t really remember it as awfully bad as you are supposed to but still it was better this time around.
A lot of humour and less judgement day feel but I didn´t really mind they didn´t go overboard on humanizing the T-810 kept it at decent levels. Maybe Genisys can give this a renaissance it´s a LOT better movie than that disaster.

I haven´t thought about this before but they do have a lot in common with the jurassic park movies. A lot of running away from monsters :wink:

Jul 26, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #17,660 of 24,647

Entire film shot in California by a director who was born in England and then moved to USA. Main actress is pure American. There is something deceiving in marketing this film as Iranian. I understand that it doesn't claim directly to be Iranian. The movie felt kind of gimmicky to me though I have to admit photography was interesting. But the content is exploitative parasitizing on topical social issues which I don't really like. It's like if the film wasn't "Iranian" and also provocative against Muslim patriarchal culture of Iran nobody would have watched it.

I agree on all points except the final one: the reason I watched it is that I was looking for a horror on general release and it was either this, Maggie or The Gallows!

Jul 26, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #17,663 of 24,647
Escape from L.A.

So sadly, I've yet to see escape from NY, which I know is just wrong. Not that its a sequel or anything, but its apparently kind of like buying a fake rolex. And on that basis, i don't really have the general complaint about the movie to echo.

I thought it was a pretty fun, if not pretty darn stupid ride. If taken for what it is, without any expectation for the lack of absurdity, the movie happens to be a short and sweet romp of people having fun making a movie and just awesome low to high camera angle debauchery. I say just sit back and enjoy the ride.

6.5/10

Interstellar

I don't know really know how to rate this one.
On one hand, its quintessential Christopher Nolan, lock, stock and barrel. All the boxes are checked off, all the "i"'s dotted. I could give it the standard Nolan 8.5-8.9/10 and be on my merry way. But for some reason, i just can't. There's something here.

In a way, it's kind of the antithesis of the execution of Gravity. While it has same focus on the people, the humanity that Gravity does, its encompassment is on such a scale that, for once, Nolan's steadfast focus on the power of human connections and love may have, just barely, been overshadowed by something bigger, where even this, if you count it as a fault, couldn't detract from something of such scale. Maybe ironically, like the Earth is a drop in the ocean that is the universe. I know the scenes were tear-bait, but I shed a few along the way, which I haven't done for a movie in a long long time.

I believe there are very few people in the industry today who have enough pull to have what is meant to be a mainstream movie produced and distributed that's pushing 3 hours. Nolan is apparently one of those people, though I'm sure the studios were expecting a bigger box office on the names alone.

I'll be watching it again... when I find some time.

???/10

Jul 27, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #17,664 of 24,647
Terminator: Salvation 6/10. It´s the second weakest in the series just a bit better then Genisys. 

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #17,665 of 24,647
Jurassic Park: 9.9999/10

One of the best movie of all time. It is fun, adventurous, beautifully shot, amazing sountrack, great plot,... just ******* AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everything is just awesome!!!!!! Just go watch it!!!

Oh my god, a sequel?!

The Lost World: Jurassic Park: 3.1/10

Jeff Goldblum. Mercedes Benz. CGI. Terrible casting. Terrible. 

Jurassic Park 3: 3.9/10

At least the movie knows it's terrible. Anyways all these characters are just boring. 

Who care's about the sequel.

I'm done.

14 years later

Oh my god a sequel. I smell disaster

Jurassic World: 7.5/10

Jurassic World is the sequel Jurassic Park kinda deserves. Chris Pratt is amazing but not the others. They are basically dumb characters, even for Jurassic standard. CGI and other effects are not that magical as every movie these days have CGI. Product placement is although noticeable, but it wasn't that forced. The action itself doesn't start until you're 1/4 way from the start, which is just boring as all the dialogues and scenes were very lame. The only thing that is better than Jurassic Park was the scale of the park, and the climax. Other than that, it a good survival film, but don't expect to be as good as Jurassic Park. But hey, it's been 22 years with bad sequels, what do you expect. 

Anyway, De dum de dum DE LA PUN TUN PLUM DUN!!!! DE LAR DER DELER PALM BA LUM BA DUM!!!!!!!! Chills.......

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #17,666 of 24,647
Yeah I suppose Jurassic World is the best of the sequels but it´s also totally pointless because the first does everything it do better. The other two at least try to offering something new :)

I would also protest and suggest it´s not Jeff Goldblums fault that the second is not as good as the first!

Jul 28, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #17,667 of 24,647
I absolutely loved Jurassic World and I cried at the final credits with that music and
the T-Rex from the first film (Look at the scars) taking again hold of Isla Nublar.

The plot was fun, and the action and pace were absolutely superb.

Edit: that said, this movie was so nostalgia tickling. OG Jurassic Park played a big part in my childhood!
I'm glad this one will keep dinosaurs popular with the new generations.

Jul 28, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #17,668 of 24,647
I absolutely loved Jurassic World and I cried at the final credits with that music and
the T-Rex from the first film (Look at the scars) taking again hold of Isla Nublar.

The plot was fun, and the action and pace were absolutely superb.

Edit: that said, this movie was so nostalgia tickling. OG Jurassic Park played a big part in my childhood!
I'm glad this one will keep dinosaurs popular with the new generations.

"I finally knew I had suffered brain damage when I watched Titanic and was actually moved"
Stephen King on being run over by a van.

Jul 28, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #17,669 of 24,647
"I finally knew I had suffered brain damage when I watched Titanic and was actually moved"
Stephen King on being run over by a van.

LOL

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #17,670 of 24,647

I cried about half-way into this............just knowing that in 2001, my wife and I had payed a total $28 to see it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back