Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Mar 27, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #16,907 of 24,651
When I found out Benedict Cumberbatch* was doing a movie on Turing.
biggrin.gif

Ah, gotcha :wink:

I wish the damn thing would come out on rental already....saw most of the other best pic nominees, but eager to see this one. 

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #16,908 of 24,651
What We Do in the Shadows (2014): 8/10

Damn, another inspired and fantastic little vampire film, this one a straight comedy. Haven't laughed so hard or so much in a theatre since... Borat or Shaun of the Dead, probably. To be honest, I wasn't keen on seeing it after seeing the trailer, but unlike nearly every other comedy that comes out these days, all of the best material was saved for the film proper, and it's some great material. Highly recommended.

Mar 27, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #16,909 of 24,651
The last movie I've watched was The Dark Knight. I've seen it 4 times and I don't watch movies often at all. It's got that 'at-home' feel to it each time I see it, like even though I know what's coming up, the action and suspense always get to me and all the scenes come together really great. I wanna say it's better than The Dark Knight Rises but they're about the same greatness, but I just personally would rather see The Dark Knight because it's more "original." 8.7/10

Mar 27, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #16,910 of 24,651
When I found out Benedict Cumberbatch* was doing a movie on Turing. :D

Ah, gotcha :wink:

I wish the damn thing would come out on rental already....saw most of the other best pic nominees, but eager to see this one. 

You must watch it as soon as you can. The cast in general offers amazing acting, directing and screenplay is really good too. Deserved Oscar winner.

Mar 28, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #16,911 of 24,651
You must watch it as soon as you can. The cast in general offers amazing acting, directing and screenplay is really good too. Deserved Oscar winner.

Looks like it finally comes out on Tues 3/31...I can't wait. I'm already fascinated by what I know of the guy, and I have no doubt you're 100% correct about the acting, etc. Really looking forward to it. 

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #16,912 of 24,651
The Imitation Game: 8.5/10

Although the description of Alan Turing's personality is very very inaccurate, the movie did a rather perfect job on retelling the story of Alan Turing breaking the Enigma and his later years. Cumberatch's performance is very great (what do you expect?), and Joan Clarke is very well performed. I'll say, it's a great adaptation.

​Interstellar: 9/10

The entire film reminds me the great 2001: A Space Odyssey. Actually, Interstellar is the second best sci-fi movie I've ever seen. Despite the Nolan formula for me kinda awkward (who talks like this???), and Matt Damon is totally useless and pointless, Interstellar is a scientific accurate sci-fi movie with humanity and hope, and THE BEST CGI EFFECTS I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY FREAKING LIFE OH MY GOD THAT BLACKHOLE AND WORMHOLE IS SUPER COOL, AND THAT IS SUCH A SICK SPACE STATION AT THE END. 

Would I rewatch it like everybody else? I don't think so.

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #16,913 of 24,651
Oldboy (2003) 8.5/10

Extremely disturbing but in a good way. It's a movie meant to grip you by using the emptiness of one character and the world he's thrown into. I really like the plot except for the reason he was imprisoned (it seems a little stretchy but I can live with it). A must watch!

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #16,914 of 24,651
I watched Interstellar 4 times within 7 days
tongue.gif

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #16,915 of 24,651
  I watched Interstellar 4 times within 7 days
tongue.gif

That is nothing. tdockwreiler I think it was has probably seen it 40 times by now :)

Mar 29, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #16,916 of 24,651
  That is nothing. tdockwreiler I think it was has probably seen it 40 times by now :)

It's even worse. He apparently studied some of the concepts in the film and has actually gone back in time...he now has a small part about 90 minutes in. 

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #16,917 of 24,651
Joe, starring Nicholas Cage, about a troubled guy who wants to do the right thing but has issues and can end up screwing things up for himself, like self destructive stuff etc. I dont' want to say too much about it, it was worth watching, was interesting, would watch it again definitely. Kind of somehow reminded me of Taxi Driver in a vague way. Cage is excellent in it, and should take way more roles like Joe.

Good film, I'd probably give a 7 or thereabouts.

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #16,919 of 24,651
My Best Fiend (1999): 8/10

Not the tell-all that one might wish it could be, but for those looking for a little more insight into what the working (and to some extent, the personal) relationship between director Werner Herzog and actor Klaus Kinski was, this does the trick. Of course the film is biased in Herzog's favor, and Herzog has little good to say about Kinski, preferring to let the man's work and other actors speak for his strengths. Nonetheless a fine documentary, albeit a minor one in Herzog's filmography.

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #16,920 of 24,651
Whiplash - 9.5/10

Wonderful (if completely preposterous) performance by J.K. Simmons. Superb editing, great playing. I'm a jazz fan so this was a real treat, but it still gets a 9/10 even if you're not!

Whiplash:
2/10
Absolute junk.
An insult to Jazz and to Drummers and to Jazz Drummers, in particular.
I don't even know where to start....:mad:

Interstellar:
9/10
What can I say?
Nolan does it again!
Not quite as good as Inception, but still, one of the year's best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back