Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 28, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #16,651 of 24,645
So you guys are glad she won that, eh? I'd have to know more about the details to make a decision, personally... :popcorn:

On the one hand, if the word "Toyota" was anywhere in writing, then I support her winning. If it was only ever verbal and a play on words, and if it was never actually stated explicitly it was a car, then I don't support her winning the suit and she should be happy with the Yoda. 

Maybe the story is just a joke and not actually real?

Anyway, I plan to watch the star wars movie next week sometime and will give my rating on this thread straight after :)

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #16,652 of 24,645
Trailer of upcoming Russian sci-fi film Second Earth. I think that Russians can make highly competitive sci-fi films if they want. Hopefully this one will turn out decent but it is a low budget indie movie made by enthusiasts not film professionals.

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #16,653 of 24,645
Trailer of upcoming Russian sci-fi film Second Earth. I think that Russians can make highly competitive sci-fi films if they want. Hopefully this one will turn out decent but it is a low budget indie movie made by enthusiasts not film professionals.

The whole nature thing and pace reminds me of 1972 Solaris.

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #16,655 of 24,645

Everyone can make a competitive sci fi movie. What matter is just how well they can execute it!!!

Jan 29, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #16,656 of 24,645

Sometimes being made by amateurs is a good thing. Think of Primer, which was tons better than most of the sci-fi movies out there (including Interstellar), no matter what their budget was.

Jan 29, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #16,657 of 24,645
When Cargo came out in 2009 many were questioning how there could be good Swiss Sci-Fi?

But now with low cost CGI anyone with any funds has the chance to make a good Sci-Fi movie.

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #16,658 of 24,645
Kraftidioten 2014   10/10  Absolutely breathtakingly filmed, this small Norwegian effort hits the old man on revenge plot a hard a Taken3 misses. The constantly employed Stellan Skarsgaard
                                      turns in an immaculate performance in what would be a typical Nordic Noir film were it not for the comedy of errors plotting. While not a film you will see nominated
                                      for myriads of awards this film does everything is sets out to perfectly and takes the riding off into the sunset ending to a whole new level..

Jan 30, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #16,659 of 24,645
American Sniper 5/10. Dunno if this is anti war? Not the way I viewed it. Enemy at the Gates is a much better sniper movie though.

Kraftidioten next.

Jan 30, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #16,660 of 24,645
The Fool ( Durak, Russia, 2014) 8.5/10

There were constant comparisons between this film Durak and Leviathan ( both Russian) on internet. Many liked Durak even better. So I decided to give it a try. Leviathan is more artsy with contemplative cinematography, Durak is more documentary like. I have to admit Durak is very close to reality despite it looks like a social horror. It looks like a hell of a life but it is real life. It IS that bad.

Review from IMDB

This movie could be a documentary on Russian society, it's hopes and fears, it's ideology, the eternal conflict between people and government officials, the dark and hopeless landscape of human minds where one can still choose to be human.

As a Russian myself, having lived in my homeland for 34 years already, I can say that there's nothing that will tell you more about Russians than this movie. It is not a heroic WW2 nonsense, not a dumb czar era pictures, but modern life as it is. The things you will see in the film are definitely depressing and hopeless, showing the state of decay in society «God created this kind of life and he made us live it.».

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #16,661 of 24,645
Bringing Out The Dead

I'm currently going through EMT training so I figured I'd revisit this Martin Scorsese flick with all this new context I have. The editing is real, hmmm, spastic? maybe to impart upon the viewer how Nic Cage's character was seeing the world going on almost no sleep and being haunted by the ghosts of people he couldn't save. Lots of recognizable actors, including two from The Wire. They did a good job of making seem like a job only a crazy person would do.

I don't think I'd have known this was a Scorsese flick if I'd gone in blind; feels more Tarantino-y. Not bad.

7/10

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #16,662 of 24,645
Kraftidioten ( 2014, Norway) 8.2/10

Surprisingly funny for such a bloody criminal drama. There is also social satire and the film is perceived as pretty realistic. It is well crafted and though themes feel derivative ( Coen brothers, Tarantino) it kind of stands on its own. 

Feb 1, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #16,663 of 24,645
Not much could tempt me into a cinema. I prefer comfort, DVDs and being well behind the times...

Robocop. Nose. Clothespeg. Guaranteed to make you go and get the original to flush your brain out with non-antiseptic violence. Seriously, for modern TV and films, where are all these kung-fu classes held? (Lesson 1, if you are a henchperson, line up in an orderly manner for the hero to kick your bottom).

Guardians of the Galaxy was seriously good. Laughs, less angst (Yes you, Wolverine...) , and a stoating soundtrack.  I now have "Spirit in the Sky" running in my head.

But the winnah has to be Paddington. And not just because it made me venture out to see it on the big screen. 

Long time* since I've seen a film that was that good, or adapted by people who absolutely got it.

*Tie between The Firth / Ehle "Pride and Prejudice" and "Lonesome Dove".

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #16,664 of 24,645
Foxcatcher (2014): 7/10

Good performances do not a good film make; Foxcatcher's primary sin is that for being a character-driven film we see very little character, which is here a scripting defect, rather than an acting one. Indeed, the three primary actors (Carell, Tatum, and Ruffalo) are all good and occasionally brilliant, but the film on the whole seems hollow, and perhaps a bit aimless. You can learn a lot more about the real people and the real events from spending some time on the internet--spend enough time and you'll uncover threads that are far more interesting than what's explored here. Nonetheless, the acting is great, the cinematography is nice, and Carell's performance is effective and chilling, even inhibited as it is by terrible makeup. Though it must be said, I sort of liked the terrible makeup--it was distracting yes, but it enhanced the creepiness factor of the film by several degrees, and Carell's smile, strained and discolored by the makeup, is genuinely frightening. On the whole, it's a film that's worth checking out, though you perhaps shouldn't go too far out of your way to do so, unless you're a huge Carell or Tatum or Ruffalo fan. 

Feb 1, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #16,665 of 24,645
Nightcrawler - 7/10  The very first thing I noticed was how much the main character reminded me of Patrick Bateman, the slicked back hair, beady eyes, and crazy  monologues.  I wish it focused a bit more on the other characters and the whole plot seems super far fetched.  I'd say they went way too far with it but I feel like that was the whole point.  I think it would have been more appropriate if it took place in the late 60s or early 70s when the US was still figuring out what to censor on the news with Vietnam and everything.  

Fury - 4/10  This is a perfect example of how easy it is to make a ton of money in Hollywood.  All you need is:
  • Big name actor
  • Tons of special effects
  • lots of blood and gore
  • a half arsed "we promise you this movie isn't glorifying violence character"
What you DON'T need:
  • A plot
  • any kind of character development 

All of the horrible war movie cliches in this were present here and my god was it painful to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back