Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Dec 11, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #14,521 of 24,647
  hmm may have to see the directors cut on bluray instead if it´s that short :). It all depend I remember when people complained about Titanics length too and they had an intermission for that one. But I am quite skeptical too. LOTR series they had way more to build on for Hobbit they had to add a lot of story lines so I am not sure. The first Hobbit movie did feel stretched out already.

As for violence it appear to be in the human nature maybe that is why it´s so interesting. But as for me I have absolutely no interest in blood sports or anything in real life just movies or games I don´t generally mind if it fit the subject. Can´t say it´s out of place in Passion of the Christ but  dunno if it had so much story because I only remembered the golgata walk or what it´s called. I am not into religion at all.

Yeah, I think that explorations of violence in films can be fascinating. I think Passion could have gotten away with its extreme violence had there been something more to latch onto. Unfortunately, it was almost completely lacking in plot or in character. As a purely visceral experience perhaps it was worth something, but it ultimately didn't accomplish anything of note beyond its gore. (At least from my perspective.) I'm not religious either, but I grew up with all the Christian stories, and enjoy well-executed Biblical films. For all of it's flaws, I find The Last Temptation of Christ to perhaps be the most interesting, due in large part to its decidedly un-Biblical humanization of Jesus.

As for The Hobbit... I have tickets to it this Friday, but let's just say that I don't have high hopes. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #14,522 of 24,647

Yeah, I think that explorations of violence in films can be fascinating. I think Passion could have gotten away with its extreme violence had there been something more to latch onto. Unfortunately, it was almost completely lacking in plot or in character. As a purely visceral experience perhaps it was worth something, but it ultimately didn't accomplish anything of note beyond its gore. (At least from my perspective.) I'm not religious either, but I grew up with all the Christian stories, and enjoy well-executed Biblical films. For all of it's flaws, I find The Last Temptation of Christ to perhaps be the most interesting, due in large part to its decidedly un-Biblical humanization of Jesus.

As for The Hobbit... I have tickets to it this Friday, but let's just say that I don't have high hopes. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Speaking of Violence I learned my FAVORITE Kung FU Flick... has an ENTIRE 40 mins worth of content I"VE NEVER SEEN

talking about Jet Li/Ronny Yu's Fearless! This movie and Tales of a Geisha are like my FAVORITES >.> I'm so mad... an entire 40 minuete's stupid American releases 

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #14,523 of 24,647
  Speaking of Violence I learned my FAVORITE Kung FU Flick... has an ENTIRE 40 mins worth of content I"VE NEVER SEEN

talking about Jet Li/Ronny Yu's Fearless! This movie and Tales of a Geisha are like my FAVORITES >.> I'm so mad... an entire 40 minuete's stupid American releases 

International films don't have a great track record of getting American theatrical release without getting hacked to bits. In the words of the great director Luchino Visconti (or close to them), the American film industry treats Americans like a 'public of children.' One of his films (and one of my all-time favorite movies), The Leopard, was similarly butchered upon its release. 

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #14,524 of 24,647

International films don't have a great track record of getting American theatrical release without getting hacked to bits. In the words of the great director Luchino Visconti (or close to them), the American film industry treats Americans like a 'public of children.' One of his films (and one of my all-time favorite movies), The Leopard, was similarly butchered upon its release. 

Indeed, and the Movie wasn't.... even toned down imo... still pretty violent 

I read something about it being to long for American Audiances or something stupid... TOO long really? Harry Potter Films where like 3 hours

Either way
I'm about half way through now... must be the 14-15'th time I've seen it? Need to find that Directors cut as soon as I get a chance

also... 

at the part where he finds his daughter dead... here's to hoping the un edited verision has more of this sadness   
this sense of loss is what makes the movie so great 

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #14,525 of 24,647
Captain Philips ( 2013)

I've seen high ratings of this movie and was surprised that I didn't really enjoy it. I also read about "brilliant" performance of Tom Hanks who I found rather boring in this role. The main villain played by Barkhad Abdi definitely stole the show.

I looked through some negative reviews and critics are pointing at recent Danish film A Hijacking ( 2013) which they find to be superior to Captain Philips.

If you saw the Danish film "A Hijacking," you will be disappointed at the Hollywood treatment afforded to the actual memoir of Captain Phillips

Compare Hollywood's effort to Denmark's recent A Hijacking, rich with corporate guilt and off-board tensions, and the shortcomings are clear.

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #14,526 of 24,647
  Captain Philips ( 2013)

I've seen high ratings of this movie and was surprised that I didn't really enjoy it. I also read about "brilliant" performance of Tom Hanks who I found rather boring in this role. The main villain played by Barkhad Abdi definitely stole the show.

I looked through some negative reviews and critics are pointing at recent Danish film A Hijacking ( 2013) which they find to be superior to Captain Philips.

Oh snap... I almost went to see Capt Philips yesterday... glad I

didn't I'll have to look this movie up

Started watching IP man, I've got to say it's starting off nicely

When Ip is fighting Master Leu? Either way I love how he annouces his hits  
"hit, hit... BIG hit"

Not to mention a couple of smacks to the face lol fun stuff

imo one of the silliest but serious fight scenes I've seen

getting better, just watched Ip Man spank Master Jin lol. And the fact he's fighting with that feathery rod in teh first place is pretty commical! 

Dec 12, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #14,528 of 24,647
I watched both Star Treks - 7/10

Don't really care for the characters or plot, just the final frontier aspect of it 
popcorn.gif

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #14,530 of 24,647
V for Vendetta - 7.5/10

It was only a movie when released in 2005.  But watch it through today's worldly view, it is so right.  People need to wake up.  

If only it had a more philosophical discussion regarding society,surveillance and control it would've been a 10 from me.
In my opinion it draws visual cues from 1984 but then expects the audience to fill in the rest. This works only if you've read the book (fortunately I had).
In the end it felt like the acting talent wasn't utilized to its fullest.

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #14,531 of 24,647
Man of Steel - 7.5/10

Hated the first hour and a half or so and found it rather dull and boring. Wanted to turn it off.
Loved most of the action scenes, but by the end it's nothing special and i'll probably forget it soon. Worth a rental at least.

The action scenes are far better than what i've seen in the usual Marvel Super-Hero movie. I'd rather watch this than something like "Iron Man 3" or "Wolverine".
Special Effects were actually somewhat impressive to me too at times..

BTW The bad guys reminded me of the Enclave from Fallout 3 for some reason...

Dec 14, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #14,532 of 24,647
  Man of Steel - 7.5/10

Hated the first hour and a half or so and found it rather dull and boring. Wanted to turn it off.
Loved most of the action scenes, but by the end it's nothing special and i'll probably forget it soon. Worth a rental at least.

The action scenes are far better than what i've seen in the usual Marvel Super-Hero movie. I'd rather watch this than something like "Iron Man 3" or "Wolverine".

Its good for a rental. In the cinema all that action is head pounding, ear numbing.

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #14,533 of 24,647
  Man of Steel - 7.5/10

Really crap... we just rented that last night and I totally opte'd out of watching it >.>

Dec 14, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #14,534 of 24,647
Watched 

Ong Bak: Muay Thai Warrior

8/10 really great, action was a lot of fun. Fight scenes where good, story wasn't bad either. Either way a very enjoyable Flick

Ong Bak 2

5/10... 35 mins in I'm bored the fighting is... good but it's a LOT of mixed martial arts, lot's of weapons ect... ect... it's like a war Film and a Kung Fu movie, without the thrill of either. Granted the first 30 mins where great, the sword play was fun, the short lived hand to hand scenes where fun but... it's going down hill from here

Going to try n see if Net Flix has the Protector, also starting Tony Jaa, but about 2 years after Ong Bak, so it should have that simpler feel to it. Ong Bak 2 was doing a little to much imo... 

Dec 14, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #14,535 of 24,647
  Really crap... we just rented that last night and I totally opte'd out of watching it >.>

It was one of the worst movies I've seen in 5+ years..  I forced myself to continue watching it, hoping for some redeeming light at the end.  It never showed up.

Anyhow, last movie I watched was Fargo.  It's a great movie at right around 8/10'ish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back