Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Dec 5, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #76 of 24,655
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathisia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"I know who killed me" .5/10

One of the worst movies I have ever rented. It was my girlfriends turn to pick movies.

I've heard that this movie probably killed Lindsay Lohan's "career". I almost want to watch it... is it one of those "so bad it's good" movies, or is it just painful to watch?

Dec 5, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #77 of 24,655
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These letters... I've seen them before, but they make no sense to me
confused.gif
wink.gif

A thousand pardons mate while I take me machete to your intellectual thicket; they be the acronyms for Pirate of the Caribbean: At World End. Twas a fine thing to be seen if ye fancy such a tale
tongue.gif

All kidding aside, this movie is another example of how impressive and underappreciated Geoffrey Rush is as an actor. The more I see him the more I like... with a pinch more screen time he could have stolen the show from Depp in these movies.

Dec 5, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #78 of 24,655
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A thousand pardons mate while I take me machete to your intellectual thicket; they be the acronyms for Pirate of the Caribbean: At World End. Twas a fine thing to be seen if ye fancy such a tale
tongue.gif

All kidding aside, this movie is another example of how impressive and underappreciated Geoffrey Rush is as an actor. The more I see him the more I like... with a pinch more screen time he could have stolen the show from Depp in these movies.

Oh... now I get it
biggrin.gif

I'm not too sure what I think of these movies. I love nautical movies, but comparing these to "Das Boot" and "Master and Commander," it kind of comes up short. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed them, but I kind of left the theatre with that "You've been had" feeling. I can't for the life of me explain what the last two movies were about (I didn't see the first one, so maybe I'm missing something), and Johnny Depp flat out annoyed me with his over-acting. That being said, they were kind of fun, although it was more of a "Don't think, just watch" kind of fun.

Dec 5, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #79 of 24,655
Quote:

Oh... now I get it
biggrin.gif

I'm not too sure what I think of these movies. I love nautical movies, but comparing these to "Das Boot" and "Master and Commander," it kind of comes up short. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed them, but I kind of left the theatre with that "You've been had" feeling. I can't for the life of me explain what the last two movies were about (I didn't see the first one, so maybe I'm missing something), and Johnny Depp flat out annoyed me with his over-acting. That being said, they were kind of fun, although it was more of a "Don't think, just watch" kind of fun.

Apples and oranges man... the POTC movies are just fun popcorn movies... entertaining eye candy peppered with good and bad humor. The first one is the best and it could have ended there. The second one sucked IMO but I did enjoy the third. I got the first two free on BD in the box with my Pany so I figured I'd complete the set and grabbed the third yesterday at Target for $23.95
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #81 of 24,655
The Pursuit of Happyness - 7/10

I'm actually a VERY harsh critic of movies, so 7 is an endorsement from me. Will Smith does a excellent job (don't screw up "I Am Legend"!!!!
biggrin.gif
)

Thank You For Smoking - 8/10

Love this film, great satire. Aaron Eckhart is great.

1408 - 3/10

After all these years I should know to stay away from anything connected to Stephen King NOT directed by Stanley Kubrick, but I was suckered once again. Not as bad as below, but bad enough.

Transformers - 1/10

10 for the awesome CGI, 9 for an almost equally awesome soundtrack, 9 for Meghan Fox
tongue.gif
, and -27 for the script.
eek.gif

Dec 5, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #83 of 24,655
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank You For Smoking - 8/10

Love this film, great satire. Aaron Eckhart is great.

Very funny movie. I love the trio (I think it was gun lobby, tobacco lobby, and ???) who got together to gloat about who was responsible for more deaths.

Dec 5, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #85 of 24,655
No Country for Old Men: 9.5/10

Arguably the best Coen Bros. movie yet... it inspired me to see:

The Big Lebowski: 8.5/10
Miller's Crossing: 8/10
Fargo: 9/10

over again.

I will say that The Big Lebowski is my favorite movie of all time. There are many circumstances in life that can be dealt with via a Big Lebowski quote; you know, in the parlance of our times.

Dec 5, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #86 of 24,655
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will say that The Big Lebowski is my favorite movie of all time. There are many circumstances in life that can be dealt with via a Big Lebowski quote; you know, in the parlance of our times.

Maybe I should watch this again, because I was majorly disappointed in it. Sometimes I enjoy stuff on a second watch that I hated the first time.

Myself, I think that Miller's Crossing and Barton Fink and tied for second best Coen brothers film after No Country.

Dec 6, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #87 of 24,655
300 in HD. 8/10. Loved it. I love the story to begin with, and was surprised how much I liked the presentation. I really disliked Sin City, and expected to loath 300, but was very pleasantly surprised.

GAD

Dec 6, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #88 of 24,655
Quote:

Maybe I should watch this again, because I was majorly disappointed in it. Sometimes I enjoy stuff on a second watch that I hated the first time.

Myself, I think that Miller's Crossing and Barton Fink and tied for second best Coen brothers film after No Country.

Will I be the only person that thinks 'O Brother Where Art Thou' is the best Coen brothers movie? Granted, I haven't seen "No Country..." yet.

Here's how I stack them up (which is obviously going to be way different than any other Coen Bros. fan on here)

'O Brother...'
The Big Lebowski
Raising Arizona
Fargo
Intolerable Cruelty
The Man Who Wasn't There
Barton Fink
Hudsucker Proxy
Ladykillers

I've yet to see 'Miller's Crossing', 'Blood Simple', and 'No Country...' so I don't know where those fit in.

Dec 6, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #89 of 24,655
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will I be the only person that thinks 'O Brother Where Art Thou' is the best Coen brothers movie? Granted, I haven't seen "No Country..." yet.

Here's how I stack them up (which is obviously going to be way different than any other Coen Bros. fan on here)

'O Brother...'
The Big Lebowski
Raising Arizona
Fargo
Intolerable Cruelty
The Man Who Wasn't There
Barton Fink
Hudsucker Proxy
Ladykillers

I've yet to see 'Miller's Crossing', 'Blood Simple', and 'No Country...' so I don't know where those fit in.

I'd totally forgotten about "The Man Who Wasn't There." Man, that's a damn good movie. Was that both of the Coen brothers, though? I thought it was just one of them.

"Intolerable Cruelty" was so-so. Not bad, but not up to their standards.

Of course, I also forgot about "Oh Brother..." Also a great film; I'm a HUGE fan of James Joyce's "Ulysses" so I really enjoyed seeing another take on "The Odyssey."

Dec 6, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #90 of 24,655
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Viggo's in Cronenberg's new movie Eastern Promises. Has anyone seen this yet?

Saw this movie in our own Bijou Theater (art films, lunch and a drink), a month ago. Good film. tough gritty. Viggo doesn't crack a smile. 2.5 stars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back