Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Feb 7, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #22,846 of 24,651
Looks like they borrowed ideas from the anime TV shows Cowboy Bebop and Planetes, as well as the TV show Firefly (and the movie Serenity) as well as some general Star Wars-esque robot sidekick humor (which actually traces back to Akira Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress and his characters Tahei, played by Minoru Chiaki, and Mataschichi, played by Kamatari Fujiwara).
Perhaps so. And perhaps it's time for me to do Cowboy Bebop as I've never been interested in watching the series. The characters in this movie don't really have any similarities to the movies/shows you mention however.

On Rottentomatoes, critics dislike it, but the audiences like it at 82%. So, for those scifi starvin people, this could be enjoyable to you. I personally lost interested mid-point and got more interested in looking at my phone than rest of the movie as the plot was slipping.

I don't think there really is any space scifi Korean movies (Can't recall anything live action). They mainly do horror or supernatural stuff, so this one is a rare one from a film industry hardly does this kind of movies.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #22,847 of 24,651
Into the Night (Season 1) - 9/10

Watched every episode within a few days and can't wait to see Season 2. Hopefully I don't need to wait a year.
Any other non-english TV shows out there that are amazing? Like i'm talking as good as something like Breaking Bad or The Walking Dead.
Last one that impressed me was the first two seasons of "Narcos". "El Chapo" was pretty good too.

Bloodline (Season 1) - 6/10

I only got to episode 6 so this is hardly fair. Maybe I will convince myself to finish this.
Started out really good. Pretty good cinematography, seemed interesting enough and the acting from everyone was very good too.
Then it seems to turn into a soap opera in early episodes with lots of over-acting etc. Luckily they toned that down later on.
By episode 6 it just became a chore to sit through. None of the episodes are all that interesting and kind of boring
Basically the show is a whole lot of nothing happening most of the time.

The whole show feels like 75% filler material with not enough good ideas to keep things going.
I believe there is 13-15 episodes in this season and I'm not sure i'll be able to continue. I'll try!

The pacing reminded me of "Homeland". I turned that show off because it was so painfully boring. Never seemed to go anywhere.

Feb 9, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #22,848 of 24,651
Boys Don’t Cry

I watched it last night but I actually first saw it back in 1999 at a small independent movie theater art house in Philadelphia. I was so impressed!

Frustratingly though, there was no big social media back then and nobody knew about this movie since it’s a low budget Independent film. I was the only person I knew who had heard of this film. I was really excited about this movie but it was only available in a few small select theaters. It was as if I knew of this movie secret that no one knew about when it was first released in small showings.

Another thing to be aware of is that this is a low budget film that achieves power and greatness. It’s amazing how a great movie can be made with little money.

A1806F81-7C2A-47DB-B2FD-C004814AD268.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #22,849 of 24,651
Looks like they borrowed ideas from the anime TV shows Cowboy Bebop and Planetes, as well as the TV show Firefly (and the movie Serenity) as well as some general Star Wars-esque robot sidekick humor (which actually traces back to Akira Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress and his characters Tahei, played by Minoru Chiaki, and Mataschichi, played by Kamatari Fujiwara).
I went through a few episodes of Cowboy Bebop again, and I just can't get into it. Is 6 episodes not enough to get engrossed in it? What's so special about it, and why is it on top TV listing on imdb?

Feb 9, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #22,850 of 24,651
I went through a few episodes of Cowboy Bebop again, and I just can't get into it. Is 6 episodes not enough to get engrossed in it? What's so special about it, and why is it on top TV listing on imdb?

I'd recommend sticking with it longer, it seems kind of random at the beginning, but there is a greater purpose. What anime do you like? That could help me calibrate my recommendation.

Worth mentioning is that the English dub is unusually good, so I'd actually recommend it over the original Japanese if you are a native English speaker.

Feb 9, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #22,851 of 24,651
I'd recommend sticking with it longer, it seems kind of random at the beginning, but there is a greater purpose. What anime do you like? That could help me calibrate my recommendation.

Worth mentioning is that the English dub is unusually good, so I'd actually recommend it over the original Japanese if you are a native English speaker.
I've actually been watching the English dub, so no problems there. I'm one of those people that cannot keep watching a long running anime series. I tend to like movies due to the high production.

Anime I enjoyed were:

Ghost in the Shell
Akira
Macross: Do you remember love?
Gunbuster
The Garden of Words - Stunning visual, right up my alley
Grave of the Fireflies - Emotional
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Some TV shows I saw:

Azumanga Daioh - probably my fav in terms of enagement, I can watch all the episodes due to quality content
Neon Genesis Evangeleon - I enjoyed the humor, but the serious stuff was way over my head and couldn't understand
Dragon Ball - very funny, and luv the humor, too many episodes
Dragon Ball Z - Too long and fights get boring and too drawn out
Slam Dunk - I luv the humor and characters, but too long of a series that I don't want to devote to

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #22,852 of 24,651
I've actually been watching the English dub, so no problems there. I'm one of those people that cannot keep watching a long running anime series. I tend to like movies due to the high production.

Anime I enjoyed were:

Ghost in the Shell
Akira
Gunbuster

Some TV shows I saw:

Azumanga Daioh - probably my fav in terms of enagement, I can watch all the episodes due to quality content
Neon Genesis Evangeleon - I enjoyed the humor, but the serious stuff was way over my head and couldn't understand
Slam Dunk - I luv the humor and characters, but too long of a series that I don't want to devote to

Lots of my favorites in your list, good stuff!

I think you'll dig Cowboy Bebop once you give it a chance. Once the team is complete (I think it's episode 9 where you get introduced to Radical Edward), and you learn more backstory about the crew and get a better sense of the overall arc, it really comes together. Then after you watch the series you can watch Cowboy Bebop: The Movie (which takes place within the TV series chronology) - it's a good movie I think you'll enjoy.

Feb 13, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #22,853 of 24,651
Feb 13, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #22,856 of 24,651

Anime I enjoyed were:

Ghost in the Shell
Akira
Gunbuster

Some TV shows I saw:

My wife loves anime and manga and because of that Ive seen a lot more than I want to...

I could probably come up with a list of movies and shows but would need to research to recollect. Or you could just google for landmark stuff. Id stay away from anime specific websites for recommendations. Genre specific fans may hold in high regard things you may not appreciate. Id stick to your traditional personally verified reliable movie/show sources and hope they have recommendations.

I’d recommend starting with One Punch Man (season one only) asap (netflix or hulu?) Its simple fun instant gratification.

Ive seen older stuff too back when anime was not mainstream and you had to buy vhs or dvd.

Became my habit to watch everything in native language with english subtitles because back in day there were a lot of bad dubs - even today it feels strange to watch english dubs, but there are exceptions of course.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #22,857 of 24,651
The Beguiled. 2017 version directed by Sofia Coppola.

I really like his movie. Bear in mind that it is quiet and mellow and not for everyone. But it does have a haunting beauty to it that I really like. And you should watch it on a big TV for the nice scenery and time travel feel since it takes place in the 1860s.

7E62C746-1E48-4397-906A-A1224C87BB09.jpeg

Feb 14, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #22,858 of 24,651
Is this about Britney Spear's star image created by a group of people? I think this is pretty standard in Kpop industry. They have a term for entertainers, 'idol.'

Au contraire, my friend. It shows a young hyper-talented singer who followed her dreams, and her family’s dreams. Yet at the total peak of her career she became the master and intelligent creator of her found fame. There may have been marketing ideas, but she was the director and creator of her stage show. The film is the true story of her life.

Then....later.....her (downfall) focus at the garishness of the media.......only to become the horrible thing the system creates........when money is the concern. Obviously we will never know the whole story of her melt-down, but her Father has taken control over her bank account and well-being. Sadly this can be looked at as not for her best. Thus the times will change, and a judge will probably rule in her favor and give this individual her life control back. Is she a product of the industry, maybe? Is she so stupid as to be fully manipulated into place? No.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #22,859 of 24,651
My wife loves anime and manga and because of that Ive seen a lot more than I want to...

I could probably come up with a list of movies and shows but would need to research to recollect. Or you could just google for landmark stuff. Id stay away from anime specific websites for recommendations. Genre specific fans may hold in high regard things you may not appreciate. Id stick to your traditional personally verified reliable movie/show sources and hope they have recommendations.

I’d recommend starting with One Punch Man (season one only) asap (netflix or hulu?) Its simple fun instant gratification.

Ive seen older stuff too back when anime was not mainstream and you had to buy vhs or dvd.

Became my habit to watch everything in native language with english subtitles because back in day there were a lot of bad dubs - even today it feels strange to watch english dubs, but there are exceptions of course.
Tried with two episodes of One Punch Man, and it was just as I expected, about somebody kills with one punch, and nothing interesting involving it. It's like DBZ with one punch hero. Nothing remarkable as I felt the same about Cowboy Bebop. I just can't get into shows like this.

Feb 14, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #22,860 of 24,651
Tried with two episodes of One Punch Man, and it was just as I expected, about somebody kills with one punch, and nothing interesting involving it. It's like DBZ with one punch hero. Nothing remarkable as I felt the same about Cowboy Bebop. I just can't get into shows like this.

Haven't watched One Punch Man myself, but relatively recent anime I've enjoyed:

Ergo Proxy (2006)
Kaiba (2008)
From the New World (2012-2013)
Ghost in the Shell: Arise (2013-2016)
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (2012-2013)
Space Battleship Yamato 2202 (2017-2019)
Attack on Titan (2009-2021)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back