1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Rate The Last Movie You Watched

First

Back
1484 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493
1495 1496 1497 1498 1499
Next

Last
  1. tdockweiler
    True Lies - 7.5/10

Somehow this used to be one of my favorite action movies. Now it's not nearly as good as I remember.
    This time around it was hard to get through it somewhat. I guess what I liked the most about it is that it's a mix of comedy and action.
    The action sequences are very well done too.
    Maybe seeing "Get Smart" a million times took something away from this movie. They have a lot of similarities.
    "Get Smart" is actually one of my all time favorite comedies.
    BTW I really liked Bill Paxton in this one.

Mrs. Doubtfire - 7.5/10

Another one I haven't seen in maybe 5+ years.
    Some scenes are extremely funny, but it seems like they borrowed too many ideas from "Tootsie" (which is far better).
    I like the part where she comes out of the fridge with frosting or whipped cream all over her face (and it drops into the tea she's making someone).
    I was thinking how this movie would do if it came out today. With all the political correctness going on, there's got to be a lot of people who'd find this offensive (for whatever reasons).
    What's funny to is that there is a lot of dialogue in this movie I didn't really even "get" when I first saw it when I was a kid or just overlooked.
    I'm 39 now and it's hard to believe this came out when I was 13!!

The Report - 8/10

Worth watching and felt that it was a lot better than something like "The Post" or many other films about journalists etc.
    As you know, this one is about an investigation into the secret black sites that the USA kept in order to torture suspected terrorists.
    I don't want to go into personal opinions, but I was not aware of most of the methods they used as described in this movie.

PS I've been watching "Better Call Saul" seasons 1 to 4 again.
    IMO it's just as good as "Breaking Bad", if not better.
    Season 3 is a lot slower, slightly less interesting. I think it's missing some of the comedy from the first two seasons (for a good reason).
    This show would be nowhere near as good without the character of "Chuck" (played by Michael McKean).
    ALL the characters are good too. I don't think there is a single scene in the series with bad acting by anyone.

BTW if you watch "Plains, Trains and Automobiles", Michael McKean has a pretty good small role as a police officer at the end.
    I saw the movie dozens of times and never noticed he was the same guy!

Von Ryan's Express - 9/10

This is another of my all time favorites that I watch every few months.
    Imagine a POW escape movie, but on a train!
    Only thing that I don't like about this one is there's some slapstick comedy sort of that feels a little out of place.
    Not a huge fan of it's soundtrack either. Nothing terrible though.
    I really liked Frank Sinatra's character (his nickname is "Von Ryan").

BTW too bad the Japanese film "Bullet Train" is so hard to find (with subtitles, not dubbed). Sounds interesting and similar to "Speed".
    If you can, try to watch "Runaway Train". It's a good classic movie with Jon Voight.

2. Redcarmoose
    A0AB67E8-D289-4DE0-B2B7-7EEE59E73DB7.jpeg

Once Upon A Time In......Hollywood

10/10

Without giving anything away......it’s a movie about another era. An era long gone and very different from today.....made by someone who truly has a love affair with the aesthetic. We are met with vibrant color and a production filled with details and mood. Still after seeing it one time the first 50 minutes is an absolute bore? In Hollywood they had a special screening where Tarantino was allowed to then answer questions from his home theater about the movie. He stated that cell phones were not allowed on the set, one rang during production and they sent everyone home.

Regardless of the first half, this is my favorite movie of the year.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  3. buddhashenglong
    Jumanji: The Next Level
    6.5/10 Not as funny as the other Rock/Kevin Hart Jumanji, this one had it's moments but falls a bit short. There is some good acting in here, a couple of twists but it's mostly predictable.

4. tdockweiler
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - 4/10

Not much of a story here. What the heck is this even about really?
    Most scenes to me were rather boring and pointless.
    Sure I did like the set designs and some of the acting, but that's about it.
    Also had a hard time figuring out if some parts were suppose to be funny or not.
    Like the last scene. What the heck? Found it more sickening than anything.

I guess it helps to mention I don't really like the director's films.
    I actually turned off "The Inglourious Basterds". Normally you couldn't pay me to see one of his films in the theater.
    I did see "Pulp Fiction" a dozen times when I was younger, but haven't seen it in maybe 10 years.

The whole film just felt really pointless with not much happening at all.
    I really just wished I had skipped it.

BTW anyone seen "Chunking Express"? It's one of my favorite Hong Kong films.
    It was released by Quentin Tarantino's "Rolling Thunder Pictures" (and later by The Criterion Collection).
    You should watch that instead. :)

5. Davesrose
    I wonder if there might be some difference of opinion based on age range? I just watched this movie and would rate it maybe 8/10. My favorite Tarantino films are still Kill Bill followed by Death Proof. I found this worthwhile in which there's references to a bygone era in Hollywood and spaghetti westerns. I'm also glad I watched this movie while having my laptop at hand: I was constantly looking up historical references (many of which actually true).

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  6. Zojokkeli
    Once Upon Time in Hollywood could have used some trimming, but I though it is the best film Tarantino has made since Kill Bills and Inglourious Basterds. Django and Hateful Eight just felt too ”Tarantino-esque” and weren’t anything special.

7. Redcarmoose
    Tarantino is making a movie with small talk again that he wishes could be possibly profound. He actually is showing taste here by not showing and profiting off Sharon Tate’s murder, unless you agree that people will go to see the movie hoping to see Sharon Tate be murdered? It’s a movie about two human underdog folks in the film business, one a star and one a stuntman. The film is simply about their friendship. It’s also a tribute to a more innocent time. It’s safe to say the world changed and the Flower Power era ended with Charles Manson. They didn’t even need to put him in the movie. So the movie ends up being a riddle as it does not show what you thought you would see; including a pit bull as the unexpected hero. There is maybe no profound message other than seeing the times and experiencing the late 1960s politeness. Tarantino is remembering and reintroducing the Midwestern accent and manors from the time, as no one was from California in 1969, but from the Midwest. If you liked the characters then you would like the movie regardless of plot. His movies have plots which are subservient to the characters. Meaning the plots turn only to make the characters better, and there is a story somewhere.
    I’ve never liked Tarantino movies on the first watch pretty much? To me the characters almost start to become real after repeated movie views, like real people after spending more time watching them.

It turns out that much of his film ideas actually revolve around mood, or music. That’s one reason why many folks somehow get the film/music connection that he is striving for.

The other part of understanding his movies better comes from knowing that in reality he is making a reference to other movies he has seen; with much of them being low cost 1970s “B” movies. That style of movie had a black humor that Tarantino has springboarded off to enter his style of film expression. Though his humor is easier than some movies to “get”.

If you don’t get his humor the movies can come off wrong, sick and heavy! Much of his charm comes from a person who was basically that kid in school with a bad or sick sense of humor. Many tolerated that person in school though a few loved them. Here we have the same individual given the learned ability to tell stories and create characters. So now that style of individual has better tools to express their ideas. It’s just that somehow Tarantino now as a filmmaker can create these alternate realities which have just as much character as the characters.

Davesrose likes this.
  8. phonomat
    I loved Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Just a pleasure to watch, felt very effortless, casual and leisurely to me, like Tarantino entering his "old master" era or something.
    8/10, will definitely watch again.

Redcarmoose likes this.
  9. tdockweiler
    The Last Black Man in San Francisco - 5/10

One of the most bizarre movies I've seen in a long time.
    The movie is ruined by it's extremely bad dialogue that makes most of it's characters seem very unrealistic.
    It actually made me think the two main characters were mentally ill.
    After every scene my reaction was mostly "What the....?"
    I seriously cannot understand how it's possible to come up with such badly written dialogue. Maybe they did not have a script for the movie?
    They even possibly have the record for the most uses of the N-word in a movie. Doesn't bother me, but it just felt like bad writing again.

This is yet another of those movies that critics loved and I disliked. It's one of the highest rated movies of 2019 on Rottentomatoes.
    I'm wondering if the critics and I had seen the same movie?! I don't understand the love for this movie.
    I guess the best thing about this would be the cinematography. That would get more of a 9/10.
    Yet another of those films where you're at the end and thinking "What the heck did I just watch?".
    I guess this one did make me think a LOT after seeing it. When I woke up I was still thinking about it.

PS somehow this reminded me of an old film called "The Saint of Fort Washington",
    That one is also starring Danny Glover and is about two homeless men living in New York City.
    I remember really liking that when I saw it maybe 15-20 years ago. I even remember watching it twice in one day.

10. SilverEars
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - 7.5/10

Surprisingly, I wasn't all that bored throughout the movie. There doesn't seem to be much of a core narrative, but I found the events in the movie pretty random, but engaging enough. I guess Tarantino has some sort of magic he puts into the movie to make mundane stuff engaging. What really got me through it was the great acting and cinematography. I didn't think the story was all that, and I probably didn't get as much out of it as others from that era (or into B moves? I'm not into B movies)? I really don't know what era I must be from to appreciate this movie. I would not watch this again. Once was enough. I'm giving score points for the production, not the story.

Not much of a Tarantino fan. I heard he takes from other movies, but I prefer originality from film makers he takes from..

11. SilverEars
    Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw - 7.5/10

Liked it better than expected. Started off really entertaining, and then 3/4 way in, got uninteresting. Could have been much better. Early action scenes were quite entertaining to watch.

image.jpg

12. Redcarmoose
    The “era” you speak of IS maybe a big deal for some. And.....when you study the movie a lot of effort was put into it all being era correct. So yes, people who were there are lived 1969 will get a different kick out of the film.

13. SilverEars
    So, you mean people who lived in Hollywood in that era? I had to give a lot of credit to the production as the film does seem like details from the era was paid attention to, although I'm really not the person to confirm them as that era isn't a big deal to me. I didn't live in Hollywood during those times.

Can't say if there are any other movies I like from that era other than Stanley Kubrick stuff.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  14. Redcarmoose
    No I mean basically people who were alive and remember 1969. I was in first grade, and lived in Southern California. Interestingly there are movies from the era (made in 1969) that also capture the era. Maybe for Tarantino it’s an escape too. In the movie he goes and has era style movie posters made, fills the movie with KHJ radio segments and popular music from the era. There is also a lot of culture from the times that obviously was not centered on that potentially could have been. Remember it was July of 1969 when the US walked on the moon, basically the exact time the movie is set in. But somehow Tarantino is attempting to make likable and cool characters, in a way they are like comic book characters.....and recreating the era of the late 1960s as a special unique time in history.

But it’s true, how many movies made in 1969 or later which actually center on Hollywood? Or movies which center on Southern California in that time? One I can think of is Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls. But I’ve never thought about it as a subject. There must be more.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  15. Redcarmoose
    ED2B65FB-D597-4398-8605-60F54136EB3B.jpeg
    1970 production:
    A star-struck all-girl band gets caught up in the pill-popping, sex-crazed night whirl of Hollywood, in Russ Meyer's camp classic.

First

Back
1484 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493
1495 1496 1497 1498 1499
Next

Last