Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Feb 22, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #21,648 of 24,654
Battle of the Bulge (2018) -5/10

Quite simply the worst piece of celluloid excrement disguised as a war film ever released. The list of criticisms of this one would easily be over tenfold the length of the actual script.

Avoid at all costs unless you are scheduled for a lobotomy in the near future.

Do you mean the one from 1965?
It's supposedly one of the most historically inaccurate WWII movies ever made.

It's pretty terrible overall, but somehow I find it entertaining enough to sit through.
I actually watch it every few months.

You know a WWII movie is bad when you unfortunately are laughing at the sounds the soldiers make when they die.
It's like they had ONE guy in the studio make the sounds for all of them and was told to sound as ridiculous as possible.

The tank battles also look like they had used toys.

My score for it would be maybe a 6/10. I've definitely seen worse.

Feb 22, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #21,649 of 24,654
No this is a 2018 effort starring an incredibly decrepit Tom Berringer wearing a sign saying "Will act in anything for food stamps" The 65 version is actually better if you can believe it.

Feb 22, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #21,651 of 24,654
Black Panther is a solid 9/10. I went in expecting a cheap Marvel thrill, but it actually had a semi decent plot (never read the comic)

Baby Driver: 9/10. I love the sound tracks and the cinematography in this flick.

Ditto on both counts. Really surprised how good a movie is Black Panther.

Feb 22, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #21,652 of 24,654
Curious to ask here. Have you ever seen a film named Ravenous?

Feb 22, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #21,654 of 24,654
Not sure who you're asking, but I haven't, no. The 1999 film? Any good?

Twas in fact directed at you. I found it quite explorative and brilliant for the time.

We will get to Baise Moi later:wink:

Feb 22, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #21,656 of 24,654
Cheers for the recco - it shall be added to the watchlist!

I will be interested to see your review. Were I to go by memory, and of course the time that I saw the film factors in here I would give it a high 8, nudging the 9 scale.

Feb 22, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #21,657 of 24,654
image.jpeg

@
https://www.head-fi.org/members/wraithape.360314/

It's the best at being the worst!

I did suggest Blood Freak a couple months back for you! Drive-In fodder!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fodder

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #21,658 of 24,654
Ditto on both counts. Really surprised how good a movie is Black Panther.

+1

I really enjoyed black panther but I'm really enjoying some of the discussions about killmonger my friends and I have been having.

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #21,659 of 24,654
Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #21,660 of 24,654
Even the Wind is Afraid : 5/10

Low-key haunted school movie that bears some similarity to The House That Screamed, but isn't as polished. The vengeful ghost of a former student who committed suicide returns through the agency of another girl, Claudia, to extract revenge on the pernicious head teacher. I think it's a film that's been influential in terms of its style and setting but especially in the first two thirds, it's draggy and just quite dull. Even though it manages to build quite a nice atmosphere, it never amounts to anything genuinely creepy and is essentially a Gothic-tinged melodrama for much of its run time, before the ghost fulfills its objective.

The Book of Stone : 6/10

Another film in a Carlos Enrique Taboada double bill - watched back to back with Even The Wind Is Afraid. The two films were only made a few months apart, and there was a sense of continuity due to the low-key treatment of supernatural subject matter and the fact they both star Marga López as a teacher. In this case, she plays Julia; a governess brought into Eugenio's household to look after his troubled child, Silvia. Silvia has an imaginary friend called Hugo, which causes her father and stepmother much consternation. They hope Julia can draw Silvia out, and put the dampers on her fascination with Hugo, which they see as key to her growing psychosis. As her actions get ever more strange and she ventures into the occult, the question of whether it's all in her mind or there're actually supernatural forces at work become more pressing.

I did prefer this one slightly to Even The Wind Is Afraid - it just felt like it hung together a bit better as a film; it's still Gothic-lite, but the characters are better fleshed out, it's more evenly paced and has a neat, if signposted, ending. It can easily be read as a metaphor for Eugenio's failure as a parent too - the suggestion that it's always been him, rather than Silvia, who is the problem. If he eventually realizes that, it comes too late.

Edgar Allan Poe: Dr. Tarr's Torture Dungeon : 5/10

The lunatics have taken over the asylum! You get your first inkling of this when Gaston, accompanied by his friend Julien, pays a visit to Dr. Tarr's notorious asylum and Julien tells him there never used to be armed guards on the gate. If this isn't enough to arouse suspicion, they're all dressed like Napoleonic soldiers and their behaviour is bizarre to say the least. It takes Gaston a lot longer than the viewer to figure out what's going on, so you spend most of the film waiting for him to play catch up. On entering the asylum, Gaston meets Dr. Tarr. Not having met him before, he mistakes him for being simply eccentric and embarks on a tour of the 'factory', with fake Tarr in the Willy Wonker role, introducing him to his ironically titled "soothing system" for treating the afflicted. Cue weirdness... a woman herding ducks, a man dressed as a chicken, other men laughing maniacally. In fact, everyone laughing maniacally, all the time. It's amusing at first, but quickly becomes wearing. There is a sub-plot, involving a girl he meets called Eugenie, as well as Julien's plight outside the asylum - trussed up and hopping around the woods to comedy music. Mainly though, it's just a lot of maniacal laughing. There's some imaginative set design but not a whole lot else to recommend it. The last 20 minutes of the film is the best, where it winds up the crazy into a fantastically baroque finale.

It's one of those films that was aimed primarily at the foreign market; despite being a Mexican production, it was filmed in English then dubbed into Spanish for domestic consumption. Though it was loosely based (very loosely I'm guessing) on one of his short stories, the Edgar Allan Poe association seems like a blatant attempt to cash in on the success of Hammer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back