Rate The Last Movie You Watched
May 1, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #20,521 of 24,651
The Bridge - 9.5/10

Probably one of the better anti-war films i've seen.
I think this is one of those hidden gems that few people have heard of.

A lot of it reminded me of some strange dream, but more like a nightmare. Do you ever have one of those dreams where everything seems more real than real life? I don't know why this is and no I haven't been taking drugs.
Some may find the acting a bit overdoing it, but I didn't mind. How do you portray accurately a person who "loses it"?

It also reminded me of the Japanese war movie "Boyhood" from Keisuke Kino****a.(lol nice auto-correct).

It seems like not a lot of films tell the experience of war on children.

Anyway, this is a really depressing movie and very sad IMO.
I swear that i've seen a lot of movies borrow ideas from this one, but maybe not..

Most likely you have. It is regarded very highly and was one of the first films to portray the futility and fanatisicm of the Hitler Jugend pressed into service at the end of a lost war. It's age probably means it is invisible to current generations of viewers but any filmaker knows this one well.

May 5, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #20,522 of 24,651
The Zookeeper's Wife - 5/10

The first half of the movie is so bad it almost made me want to walk out. Only the last 25% was watchable and even then it was pretty bad.

What's so strange about this movie is that it has all sorts of sad and dramatic scenes but it really makes you feel nothing for it's characters. Yes, I do have a heart, but this movie was a total fail for me. I think it has a lot to do with the directing. It's not like I have no heart.

The entire movie is just a chore to sit through and kind of boring. Not much in it registered in my brain for some reason.

The movie does feel like Oscar bait, but it was based on a non-fiction book.

I don't know what to think of Jessica Chastain's acting here. I honestly couldn't stand her character that much and found her annoying. Is that mean?

I wish I had skipped this. How do you make such a good story so dull?

May 6, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #20,523 of 24,651
terror_is_man_poster_01.jpg

Terror is a Man - 5/10

Unremarkable B movie from the late 50s; a Filipino spin on the old Frankenstein story. Fitzgerald, the sole survivor of a sea wreck, wakes up to find himself on a remote island in the house of Dr. Charles Girard and his wife. Girard turns out to be a doctor of the mad variety, working on a project to accelerate evolution by taking a wild animal and turning it into a man in a space of only a few years. Predictably, things don't go well as the doc learns the hard way that you can't take the wild out of the beast.

Despite the total hokeyness of the plot, there is a certain creepiness to the panther-man - a genuine sense of feral menace, and the last 20 minutes or so are probably the film's best. The trouble is, it takes forever to get there and has a dull-as-dishwater romantic sub-plot between two actors with zero chemistry. As the film moves at such a slow pace and the dialogue is prosaic throughout, I struggled to stay awake at times. Hardly even rainy day fare this; there are better examples of the genre out there.

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #20,524 of 24,651
Trying to get through the fast and furious 7. I like cars but there is so much bad here. Has The Rock ever been good in any movie? I am just amazed he still find parts.

May 7, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #20,525 of 24,651
Trying to get through the fast and furious 7. I like cars but there is so much bad here. Has The Rock ever been good in any movie? I am just amazed he still find parts.

Ballers is a pretty good tv show where Dwayne Johnson fits perfectly. Can't think of any movies though.

May 7, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #20,526 of 24,651
I-Am-A-Hero-Movie.jpg

9/10 I am a Hero

I loved the manga, the retelling done in this movie is fairly close to the exact storyline and faithful about not taking away anything important or adding anything irrelevant. It's a little long but the style keeps it interesting from start to finish.

May 7, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #20,527 of 24,651

The Rundown was fun.

I-Am-A-Hero-Movie.jpg

9/10 I am a Hero

I loved the manga, the retelling done in this movie is fairly close to the exact storyline and faithful about not taking away anything important or adding anything irrelevant. It's a little long but the style keeps it interesting from start to finish.

The plot sounds very manga, but watchable. Will keep this one in mind for a rainy day.

May 7, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #20,528 of 24,651
Got through Fast and Furiosly 7. The last half hour had some decent action at least. 3/10

May 7, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #20,529 of 24,651
Train to Busan (2016) [8/10]

This is one of those movies where its nothing really new, but takes everything that's been done and executes just really well. It has something for everyone, zombie mob, gore that is cleanly done (this is gore that is as classy as it gets), motley crew (big dude and his wife were fun to watch) that goes from eight to eighty, rich to poor, big to small, man vs "beast" creativity and problem solving, and smart pacing (but not without a few hiccups at the start) and set changes that keep things fresh, its even fun in the not too horrific sense that people who don't normally like horror movies can probably enjoy this one. Heck, and even some heart, but not too much, which feels right.

Worth a watch for almost any mood.

Independence Day: Resurgence (2016) [1/10]

I hate to do this and am not one to give out such low scores, and its probably not even 1/10 bad, but this movie exemplifies everything that is wrong with Hollywood today. This was a check the box exercise, plain and simple. It wasn't even a fun ride, which they thought they could use to get out of the lazy cheap writing, which was about as shallow as it comes. Its kind of ironic, it having almost no humanity. I'm not even really insulted in being pandered to like this. I'm just sad that this is where we've come to and hope we can get past these dark days.

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #20,530 of 24,651
Independence Day: Resurgence (2016) [1/10]

I hate to do this and am not one to give out such low scores, and its probably not even 1/10 bad, but this movie exemplifies everything that is wrong with Hollywood today. This was a check the box exercise, plain and simple. It wasn't even a fun ride, which they thought they could use to get out of the lazy cheap writing, which was about as shallow as it comes. Its kind of ironic, it having almost no humanity. I'm not even really insulted in being pandered to like this. I'm just sad that this is where we've come to and hope we can get past these dark days.

Don't be shy. Giving out low ratings is a right. For most I have to assume they work from a 5 and up so the 5 is what I would give a 1 for.
There have been a spate of miserable SciFiers of late and the lower the rating the better for people to avoid them. I am actually considering not rating some and just leaving the commend "just avoid this one" as a few I have turned off after 5 or 10 minutes and really there is nothing there to review in a traditional sense.

May 7, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #20,531 of 24,651
Don't be shy. Giving out low ratings is a right. For most I have to assume they work from a 5 and up so the 5 is what I would give a 1 for.
There have been a spate of miserable SciFiers of late and the lower the rating the better for people to avoid them. I am actually considering not rating some and just leaving the commend "just avoid this one" as a few I have turned off after 5 or 10 minutes and really there is nothing there to review in a traditional sense.

Haha, it's more about me just generally appreciating the effort that it's almost like "you get 5 points for spelling your name right". But sometimes, I watch something and I can't even conceive how not one person, at any point in the production, who had an actual say, just didn't go "...this is just not good. It doesn't work. There is so much wrong with this that I don't even..." or something along those lines.

Anything under 5/10 really is a "just avoid this one" equivalent, "you've been warned."

That really was the scenario with this one. It was an internal struggle not to turn it off.

But to be fair, it's hard to put all the blame on Hollywood. People respond to this. And it's a negative feedback loop. Reminds me of a scene from the great Airheads when Chazz finds some CDs in the station and goes "Man, you got hot CDs here and I never hear them. Why don't you ever play these guys? and Milo responds asking "If they're so hot, how come they're not tearing up the charts, babe?", to which Rex replies "Because you never play them, babe. You suck."

May 7, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #20,532 of 24,651
Ha. Well hollywood concocts swill, people eat it, it perpetuates. Much in the way fast food took off.

That said.

Harmony (2015) Anime 8/10

Visually stunning Scifier takes more than a few tropes and bends them round into new shapes. Avoid the reviews and trailers that outline the plot as they detract from the exposition. If there is a problem with this film it is having two directors and that shows through in spots and mires the flow a little. That said, if you at all like GITS Innocence, or Psyco Pass this may be right up your alley. As good as the former and better than the latter. Posits some very interesting ideas on where society could go and the repercussions that could ensue. This is dark territory and hits on some very current hotspots and issues that sends North American filmakers screaming. You can bet there were no "Focus Groups" or pre release test screenings for this one. It goes head first into the territory and does not sway. Much in the way LeCarre went with Constant Gardener.

I really wanted to give this a 9 or better but am tempering my rating due to the few weak spots in this one and perhaps more than a little of burned out on dreck so may be overly enthusiastic about something with meat on its bones.

One of the very Few Anime's I can see myself rewatching after I brush up on some reading.

I eagerly await the Hollyboob live action remake which will no doubt re unite the cast of "Friends" under the expert direction of McG

PS. Anyone else out there as overjoyed as I am at Scarletts "Ghost of a Film" being on track to lose 50 to 100 million? Yea no sequels! Perhaps her rate will get negotiated downward now.

May 8, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #20,533 of 24,651
The plot sounds very manga, but watchable. Will keep this one in mind for a rainy day.

It was a lot more fun than I had expected; its a reasonably close rip from the original manga which helps.

Ha. Well hollywood concocts swill, people eat it, it perpetuates. Much in the way fast food took off.

That said.

Harmony (2015) Anime 8/10

Visually stunning Scifier takes more than a few tropes and bends them round into new shapes. Avoid the reviews and trailers that outline the plot as they detract from the exposition. If there is a problem with this film it is having two directors and that shows through in spots and mires the flow a little. That said, if you at all like GITS Innocence, or Psyco Pass this may be right up your alley. As good as the former and better than the latter. Posits some very interesting ideas on where society could go and the repercussions that could ensue. This is dark territory and hits on some very current hotspots and issues that sends North American filmakers screaming. You can bet there were no "Focus Groups" or pre release test screenings for this one. It goes head first into the territory and does not sway. Much in the way LeCarre went with Constant Gardener.

I really wanted to give this a 9 or better but am tempering my rating due to the few weak spots in this one and perhaps more than a little of burned out on dreck so may be overly enthusiastic about something with meat on its bones.

One of the very Few Anime's I can see myself rewatching after I brush up on some reading.

I eagerly await the Hollyboob live action remake which will no doubt re unite the cast of "Friends" under the expert direction of McG

PS. Anyone else out there as overjoyed as I am at Scarletts "Ghost of a Film" being on track to lose 50 to 100 million? Yea no sequels! Perhaps her rate will get negotiated downward now.

Yeah!! I'm happy that the Scarlett Johansen "GitS" parody was a dumoster fire!

I watched Harmony and I recall being bored but somewhat intrigued, not always a good sign for me,

May 8, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #20,534 of 24,651
It was a lot more fun than I had expected; its a reasonably close rip from the original manga which helps.

Yeah!! I'm happy that the Scarlett Johansen "GitS" parody was a dumoster fire!

I watched Harmony and I recall being bored but somewhat intrigued, not always a good sign for me,

I can see Harmony being slow for some. If you can dl a decent fansub it goes a long way toward improving the experience.

May 8, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #20,535 of 24,651

"Sully" [6.6/10]: I'm sure that it must be tough to make a movie about 208 seconds. While I'm glad that I didn't, as I had originally planned, pay the price of an IMAX ticket, it was a compelling and interesting movie to see as an HBO Premiere Saturday Night movie. The movie was based on Captain Sullenberger's book, which I would review almost exactly the same as the film. Captain Sullenberger's skill and judgment as a pilot is amazing. Ultimately, the film is a mediocre tribute to that skill. However, it documents that skill and judgment and will stand as a memorial to an extraordinary pilot who saved 155 lives.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back