Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Apr 10, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #20,476 of 24,650
After the Storm - 8/10

Latest film from my favorite director Hirokazu Koreeda.
I liked it, but after the first half it dragged and got pretty boring during parts.
It was hard to relate to the main character. He was a 50 year old divorced man who only gets to see his son once a month and can't afford child support.

I liked the parts where he was visiting his elderly mother. The entire family at the end got to stay at her house overnight due to a Typhoon.
This one made me think a lot. Way more than the average Hollywood movie and even after a few days later i'm still thinking about it.

There are some themes in this similar to "Tokyo Story" maybe. I can't imagine what it would be like living alone when you are in your 80s and all your friends have died.
Some children these days also don't spend enough time with their parents. Never visiting and never calling. I know that people are busy working, but that's no excuse.

Really liked all the small details in this one. I bet the director borrowed some ideas from when he was a kid.
I think many people might consider this movie totally pointless and a waste of time.
It's supposed to be a family drama, but there is really not much drama. All the trailers make it seem sadder or more dramatic than it really is.

Went to see this in a city near me about a half hour away in Three Rivers, MI.
Unfortunately I was the only one there at 4pm on a Saturday!

I guess this is why you can't play foreign films in some cities..nobody will buy a ticket.
I remember you could easily buy foreign films locally in the 90s and up until video rental stores died.
I wonder what happened? I think some people are just not willing to want to read subtitles.
My local theater will play one subtitled movie every couple of years.

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #20,477 of 24,650
FTRH was a banner film for it's generation and will probably lack traction with under 40's. Same with Escape from New York, arguably Carpenters high water mark period along with Big Trouble in Little China. The Kurt Russel collaboration was perfection in camp action comedy for it's time.

I was a tad disappointed with Escape From New York if I'm honest - maybe didn't help that I only saw it for the first time a few years ago, but I don't think it ranks alongside Carpenter's best from his purple period, namely The Thing, The Fog and Big Trouble. It just seemed a bit lacking in focus to me and I didn't really buy into the Snake Pliskin character. For something in vaguely the same ball park, I actually prefer Walter Hill's film, The Warriors. The kindest thing I could say about FTARH is that it's quintessentially 80s 
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #20,478 of 24,650
Escape from New York was amazing when I saw it as a kid. Not as good later on :frowning2:

Watched Logan tonight. What movie is it based on. The Western they show in the middle of the film? Curious about that one.

7/10 anyway it felt fresh as I haven´t seen the original. Some logical phallacities where did the kid learn to drive a car like a pro? Logan was obviously not that keen to teach here to drive as an under age :p

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #20,479 of 24,650

I was a tad disappointed with Escape From New York if I'm honest - maybe didn't help that I only saw it for the first time a few years ago, but I don't think it ranks alongside Carpenter's best from his purple period, namely The Thing, The Fog and Big Trouble. It just seemed a bit lacking in focus to me and I didn't really buy into the Snake Pliskin character. For something in vaguely the same ball park, I actually prefer Walter Hill's film, The Warriors. The kindest thing I could say about FTARH is that it's quintessentially 80s 
biggrin.gif

I get all your points. Really with Escape, you had to be there to appreciate the camp factor. If you were a Warriors fan I can see the discrepancies swaying you to one side. I could have lived well without ever having seen Warriors it grated on several nerves. Escape was like the antidote to Red Dawn for its era:wink:

FTARH was almost the first MTV inspired film. Opening with the GoGo's was pretty much a dropkick into the film that Tarantino exploited later with Miserlou. A lot of actors made or broke their careers on that one and personally it was the last era where anyone who called themselves human would have gone within a million miles of LA. As Vegas went in the 70's and as documented by Lucas in American Graffitti for norhhern Cali, it was an eras end, with the innocence, youthful narcissism and hope going along with it. Yeah it aint no Quadrophenia or Trainspotting but it's the American take on the culture of the time.

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #20,480 of 24,650
castleofargh I'd guess a solid 15% of people would like Lost Highway.

Even if this interpretation explains how it all started, there's still the entire rest of the movie haha. And there lies the struggle I don't have any interest in undertaking, perhaps a stone better left unturned. That might be my title for the David Lynch biography, "David Lynch: Perhaps a Stone Better Left Unturned".
Same logic I was alluding to (didn't wanna spoil a movie no one would watch lol) except that the point of delusion was when he heard the buzzer about 2 second into the movie haha, with the idea being that he's having his last cigarette already on death row, pushing the blame for the death onto supernatural forces and struggling to face his own demons. I think the movie has plenty of intrigue left over either way, it's just one part of a pretty intense puzzle.

As if that character wasn't creepy enough smh.

The 1997 Lost HWY was the last acting job for Robert Blake unless you consider his guitar playing moments previous to his own trial for the murder of his own wife! That's what's creepy.

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #20,481 of 24,650
A Cure for Wellness  (2016) 7.5/10

Oh soooooo close and mired by the overly long runtime. Trope mania in effect here with evil boardroom villains, souless youn exec, clueless innocent maiden and evil Doktor. Set in a mountain Schloss no less. What could have turned into a dismal comic book of a film is largely saved by the underpinnings of the performances holding up a stunning amount of imagery. Perhaps too much imagery. If you read anything into Neon Demon this one may well give you brain lock with Nietzschean skeins, Wollenscroftian aspirations and the odd turn which harkens to a resurrection of Lugosi and Chaney. Suffers from a drawn out circuitous route to the central plot which does not hold up to the rest of the film. That is a crying shame as the last scene would have reached iconic horror standards if the events leading up to it were played and choreographed more efficiently.

I think we need to impose a time or digital film limit on film makers these days. An hour and 45 minutes would have done this film in spades and made the flow a lot more enjoyable. As it plays out it really is worth a look for vintage horror feel and atmosphere.

PS Anyone hear anyting about the remake of Suspiria?  I am hoping that was an April Fools joke.

Apr 11, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #20,483 of 24,650

Unfortunately not. It's slated for later this year and is set to feature Tilda Swinton among others... 
confused_face.gif

Ugh. I am going to have to browse the remake's wiki again to see just how unimaginative filmachers have become this year.

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #20,484 of 24,650
  A Cure for Wellness  (2016) 7.5/10

I have watched this movie today. Some of the movie looked like an art film but other part looked like commercial horror and both didn't blend into each other in my opinion. And the length of the movie was rather tedious. There are movies which are as long but they are engrossing. This one was a bit tiring especially to the end. I liked how they picked a cast for the film. Especially it was interesting how they portrayed Germanic phenotype which was accurate.

Apr 14, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #20,486 of 24,650
What Maise Knew 6/10:

Onata Aprile steals the show. Right up there with Tatum O'Neal in "Paper Moon" and Abigail Breslin in "Little Miss Sunshine." The girl manages to evoke every emotion demanded by every scene so effortlessly. Magical.

Apr 15, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #20,487 of 24,650

Cemetery Man - 6/10

Francesco Dellamorte is a public servant with a difference: an undertaker with a bit of a reanimation problem. Along with his Igor-inspired henchman, Gnaghi, Dellamorte buries the town's dead and stays on hand to make sure they stay dead. I haven't seen any of Soavi's films before but judging by this, he has a penchant for 'arty' camera work and flamboyant framing, sometimes even going as far as recreating great pieces of art in the frame; Magritte's 'The Lovers' being the most overt example here. It's a trick Greenaway sometimes deploys as well, but never in such an obvious and contrived way. For all its weirdness - and it really is weird - it's not exactly original; more an amalgam of its influences: one part Delicatessen, one part Evil Dead, one part Gilliam, one part Burton. Everett is strangely listless throughout the film, like a moping teenager trapped in a man's body, and it's difficult to care much what happens to him since he doesn't even seem to care himself.

For its faults though, it's often amusing, never predictable and rattles along at a decent pace. It's also the first (and presumably last) time I've ever heard the line "would you like to see my ossuary?" prove to be an effective chat-up line, so kudos for that.

Apr 15, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #20,488 of 24,650
They have released the movie everybody been looking for. Undisputed 4. IMDB likes it but I guess only fans find these movies :D

Apr 15, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #20,489 of 24,650
The Great Wall 6/10

Okay but a bit to much Hollywood and some strange cuts in some of the fighting scenes and logic escaped a bit to much on some occasions. g. And I am not anal about that things in action movies. But mainly it just felt like a Hollywood movie I would hope for a more original flavour. Why do Matt Damon has to come over and star in these movies? I guess he brings in the cash but still. His compadron is from Game of Thrones I believe?

Apr 15, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #20,490 of 24,650
  The Great Wall 6/10

Okay but a bit to much Hollywood and some strange cuts in some of the fighting scenes and logic escaped a bit to much on some occasions. g. And I am not anal about that things in action movies. But mainly it just felt like a Hollywood movie I would hope for a more original flavour. Why do Matt Damon has to come over and star in these movies? I guess he brings in the cash but still. His compadron is from Game of Thrones I believe?

I know man - I hate it when they have a movie that's set in China or somewhere and they have some Chinese actors in the cast but then wheel in the big Hollywood names for the lead roles. As a general rule, I don't even give these films the time of day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back