Rate the Best Portable You've Never Heard
Jun 10, 2008 at 9:56 AM Post #16 of 38
well, I can't make up for myself which one I found sounding the best.

The one I can remember being uberly impressed with (like mouth on the floor on first listen) must be Sony NW-S703F. Great SQ directly out of the player. Even against the current Sony offerings it sounds a hel of a lot different imho.

I think the 6G ipods/iphone are very decent too! Like them for being quite neutral and through the LOD they are fantastic!!

.... And I must not forget my older love; good'old MiniDisc. MZ-RH1 and MZ-NH900 had such great SQ. But they also had their fare trade of downsides. Though they remind me of some wonderfull times.

I've had some Cowons, Creatives and irivers but wasn't too impressed with them.

Greetz

Jun 15, 2008 at 8:32 AM Post #21 of 38
Cowon D2
Sony flash players

The D2 seem to be well loved by fellow Head-fiers and the sony players since I had some MD before going to the Zune and remember those good times with my EX71.

Jun 15, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricthaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, I can't make up for myself which one I found sounding the best.

.... And I must not forget my older love; good'old MiniDisc. MZ-RH1 and MZ-NH900 had such great SQ. But they also had their fare trade of downsides. Though they remind me of some wonderfull times.

Greetz

As a current MiniDisc/Hi-MD user (I own about 15 different unit including an MZ-RH1) and also proud owner of another ATRAC-based non-MD unit, that being the award-winning HD5 (two of them, both silver), I could hardly disagree. Nothing sounds as good (for compressed sound) as MD or Hi-MD recorded in ATRAC/3/3plus. There is something about that analog sound of an ATRAC/3/3plus recording that makes it sound so sweet, almost like you were listening to something on vinyl.

Many of my fellow members of either the MDCF or the Audio T-Board would agree with me on that.

Jun 15, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #25 of 38
I think a whole bunch of people don't get the point of this thread.

You should rate players you NEVER heard. That means you have to rate according to what you heard OTHER people say about it!

To make it clear, you shouldn't have NEVER heard of the player you rate in this thread.

Jun 16, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #29 of 38
cowon d2, ive heard a ton about it - capacity is nowhere near where i would even consider buying one though, so ive never heard one :p

Jun 16, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #30 of 38
Kenwood HD60GB, iAudio A2, JVC Victor.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back