rate my rig
Aug 11, 2002 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I figured I would gain everyone's opinion here for someone who is a relative "newbie" to the head-fi boards. Here is my current set of components and I'd like to know your opinions, etc... pardon the fact that the sources are portables, I figured this forum would be better than the portables forum):

sources:
Sony D-EJ955
Sony D-25S

cable:
Markertek 1.5 ft balanced

amp:
JMT CHA-47

headphones:
Koss Sportapros
Koss KSC-50
Sony V600 (nope, not the V6)

I listen to alot of rock and pop (note the V600's--lol), but also some Miles Davis, techno, and acoustic. So how does this all fare with the gurus here at head-fi? Any opinions/suggestions are welcomed. I'm on a tight budget and a beginner, so hopefully that explains some of the equip!

thanks guys....

J.

Aug 11, 2002 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by appar111
sources:
Sony D-EJ955
Sony D-25S

cable:

amp:
JMT CHA-47

headphones:
Koss Sportapros
Koss KSC-50

I don't think you mean "balanced" for the cable; that term usually means xlr connnectors..... Otherwise, I'd say the next step (this is head-fi, after all
wink.gif
) would be headphones.

Aug 11, 2002 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 7
daycart1, you are both correct. "Balanced" usually refers to cables with xlr connectors as you state, but according to the markertek webpage, the mini to mini cable for use with stereo components is referred to as "balanced." The non-balanced version is actually mono. So, really it is a incorrect labeling on the part of markertek, but ...

Driftwood

Aug 11, 2002 at 8:28 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by appar111
Well, I figured I would gain everyone's opinion here for someone who is a relative "newbie" to the head-fi boards. Here is my current set of components and I'd like to know your opinions, etc... pardon the fact that the sources are portables, I figured this forum would be better than the portables forum):

sources:
Sony D-EJ955
Sony D-25S

cable:

amp:
JMT CHA-47

headphones:
Koss Sportapros
Koss KSC-50

I listen to alot of rock and pop (note the V600's--lol), but also some Miles Davis, techno, and acoustic. So how does this all fare with the gurus here at head-fi? Any opinions/suggestions are welcomed. I'm on a tight budget and a beginner, so hopefully that explains some of the equip!

thanks guys....

J.

I would say that the only one that could rate YOUR rig would be you. :p

Aug 11, 2002 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 7
Looks good to me...........but, considering the type of music you listen to, I would add a pair of Grado SR-60s to the collection. I find them to be an amazing bargain at $69.......and they mate very well with the CHA47, which was designed, after all, with Grados in mind..
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back