rare tubes to look out for
Jan 19, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by XFxGeforced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got two 12AE6a tubes, and I was wondering if I could use them, since they have the a at the end. One is Olson, and the other is GE.

The best sound I got out of a millett was with Westinghouse 12AE6A or OLD RCA 12AE6A

Jan 19, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SOHA does show significant variation between tubes; it's definitely a rollable design. In fact, the SOHA probably shows more differences than other amplifiers because of its strange operating point, which sits outside of the 'design range' of the 12au7.

That said, I don't know if it's worthwhile to invest significant amounts of money into boutique tubes for a SOHA. Part of this is personal skepticism; while the 'desirable' euro-manufactured Telefunken or Amperex tubes definitely have excellent build quality, I think most reports of these tubes sounding better are really just the consequence of price-placebo effects and advertising hype. Even if I were take reports of a tube's goodness at face value, the strange operating point probably renders any ranking at normal voltages moot.

My suggestion for tube rolling? Keep the pricing sane and experiment. For the price of a single NOS bugle boy I've gotten about 25 12AU7's and equivalents via lot buys on eBay. My favorite is an unremarkable-looking late 50's GE gray medium-plate 12AU7A bought for $3.50. I haven't compared it to an Amperex, but it at the least beat out a Mullard CV4003 mil-spec, another very well-reputed tube.

Good comments.

Interestingly, the SOHA operating point is very close to the plate voltage of the 5963 - 67.5V. Other 12AU7 and variants are at 100V. This is why the 5963 can't be used in some amplifiers that use the 12AU7 - it exceeds the safe voltage limit of the 5963. What that means is that the 5963 is one of the best tubes you can put in a SOHA, and in many places they only cost about $4.
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbelyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best sound I got out of a millett was with Westinghouse 12AE6A or OLD RCA 12AE6A

they did have westinghouse and rca ones of the 12ae6a's but as soon as I went to go pick them out of the bin i saw them, they shut the lights off and said they were closing
frown.gif
thanks for the advice!

Jan 19, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #19 of 26
For Millett tubes, I have brands from CEI, to GE, RCA, Sylvania, Tung Sol, and Zenith, and some "unmarked" 12FK6's from an online vendor.

I played around with rolling tubes in the SOHA, and the only real difference I found was the level of background noise. I tried the cheap, new chinese 12AU7's and they were very noisy compared to Westinghouse, Electroharmonix, and a few other ones that I tried. The EH so far is the "quietest" tube I've tried, but I have another 15 or so 12AU7's of different brands to try out.

Jan 20, 2007 at 8:23 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by motherone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For Millett tubes, I have brands from CEI, to GE, RCA, Sylvania, Tung Sol, and Zenith, and some "unmarked" 12FK6's from an online vendor.

I played around with rolling tubes in the SOHA, and the only real difference I found was the level of background noise. I tried the cheap, new chinese 12AU7's and they were very noisy compared to Westinghouse, Electroharmonix, and a few other ones that I tried. The EH so far is the "quietest" tube I've tried, but I have another 15 or so 12AU7's of different brands to try out.

ill def go get a paired set of the westinghouses then, and try and get the same box style so they're from around the same time

Jan 20, 2007 at 9:11 AM Post #21 of 26
I hate to be a wet blanket, but tubes have been trendy for a good 10 years or so. Finding rare NOS tubes is increasingly difficult, since most public stores have been raided years ago.

My guess is that you're going to turn up a boatload of television tubes. Hi-fi tubes are the first to go and radio restorers are keen on the rest. People visiting electronics stores tend to be in the know, as well. Mostly, what's left are old television tubes which no one cares much about. TV restorers are few, but the tubes are a bargain. The other thing is that, comparatively, there were a lot more TV tubes produced and the store's old customers were more likely to want them than anything else.

Anyway, look at what's there, but don't waste your weekend combing through everything.

Jan 21, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to be a wet blanket, but tubes have been trendy for a good 10 years or so. Finding rare NOS tubes is increasingly difficult, since most public stores have been raided years ago.

My guess is that you're going to turn up a boatload of television tubes. Hi-fi tubes are the first to go and radio restorers are keen on the rest. People visiting electronics stores tend to be in the know, as well. Mostly, what's left are old television tubes which no one cares much about. TV restorers are few, but the tubes are a bargain. The other thing is that, comparatively, there were a lot more TV tubes produced and the store's old customers were more likely to want them than anything else.

Anyway, look at what's there, but don't waste your weekend combing through everything.

oh, i was only planning on looking when i was there to get other things. I won't be disappointed, and dont expect to really find anything, just kinda like a flea market i guess
cool.gif
but anyway, you aren't a wet blanket, pam is a wet blanket! -the office

Jan 21, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #23 of 26
Actually, as I suggested earlier - it's quite possible to make a score on Millett tubes. Millett builders are practically the only ones interested in those types. In the whole market of tubes, that's not much. So, there's quite a lot of them around in the off-the-beaten-path places.

Jan 21, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #24 of 26
This has nothing to do with Millett, but you said you have tons of mini-tubes right?

Look for Dwarf-looking tubes that have following code, WE437. Those you can capitalize. I would like WE417 too, but they aren't rare.

You never know. I found a Telefunken E82CC abandoned along with old equipments at labs. (I also found a pair of OPA627s the same way.) You might want to open all the boxes to be sure.

Tomo

P.S. If you do find WE437s in NOS boxes, please send it to me. Muhahaha!

Jan 21, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #25 of 26
I agree with Erik that audio tubes are going to be harder to find, especially now that places like Ebay exist where people who know what to look for can try to turn a profit by reselling tubes. I do know that there are a few folks on diyaudio who have tube warehouse connections and tend to get pretty good deals on stuff through that route.

There are lots of useful TV tubes for audio.. You'll need to poke around to find the types, but they're generally a lot cheaper to acquire. Many DIYers are going that route to keep costs down (and for the challenge).

Jan 21, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by motherone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with Erik that audio tubes are going to be harder to find, especially now that places like Ebay exist where people who know what to look for can try to turn a profit by reselling tubes. I do know that there are a few folks on diyaudio who have tube warehouse connections and tend to get pretty good deals on stuff through that route.

There are lots of useful TV tubes for audio.. You'll need to poke around to find the types, but they're generally a lot cheaper to acquire. Many DIYers are going that route to keep costs down (and for the challenge).

I did notice a lot of big t.v./old radio looking tubes.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This has nothing to do with Millett, but you said you have tons of mini-tubes right?

Look for Dwarf-looking tubes that have following code, WE437. Those you can capitalize. I would like WE417 too, but they aren't rare.

You never know. I found a Telefunken E82CC abandoned along with old equipments at labs. (I also found a pair of OPA627s the same way.) You might want to open all the boxes to be sure.

Tomo

P.S. If you do find WE437s in NOS boxes, please send it to me. Muhahaha!

ill look if i decide to go on a tube hunt again
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back