RAPTGO HOOK-X In Ear Monitor
Sep 30, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #601 of 821
Update after one week:
- runtime around 120 hours (they have been running almost continuously even when not listening)
- tips: the medium size stock tips & spiral dots size ml (my standard choice)
- sources: laptop+teac ha-p50, phone Bluetooth ldac to sony nw-a45 (with 55 firmware), bluesound node to smsl su-9 to little dot 1+
- music mix from local (flac16&24 bit, dsd128, some mp3) and Spotify as streaming service

Fit & wear
For me the fit is very comfortable, I can easily wear them for hours on end. The correct tips are very important though, they are very much iems that need a perfect fit.
What I also very much like is because they are open backed, I can still hear some of the environment. For office and outside its nice to still pick up sounds. They do leak quite some sound but I find it highly depends on the type of music.

Sound
Clearly a planar, so very accurate, crisp, speedy, wonderfully defined lows. I do miss that bass "push" a dynamic driver can do though (that's where my fx850 have spoiled me a bit).
The mids could be a bit better, they are a bit recessed. Vocals are great though!
The highs are very very well done . So much detail and not too harsh or too much. It's not hyper extended but what is there is presented very well.
Their tonality is very much on spot too, organic & natural with a great timbre.
They definitely need some form of amp in order to really shine. 200mw+ or so would be around right for them.
I liked them the best on my teac, the little dot tubes are not a success I think. With my Sony they are okay but the Sony is underpowered for it I think.

Because of their tuning genres like edm & hiphop are their strong point. Rock guitars are also great, but since the mids are a little recessed it will be very song dependent how good rock will sound. Jazz & Blues profit very much from the Hook-X tonality and can sound amazing.
Actually they are very well suited as an every day carry. Since they do so much so well.

So to summarize:I'm quite happy with the Hook-X, I think they offer enormous value for their money. If one would want something even better then this you need to probably look into the kilobuck range to find something significantly better.
For me I think the ideal iem would be a hybrid that combines a dynamic driver with a planar, but the Hook-X will definitely do for now at least 😉

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #602 of 821
Clearly a planar, so very accurate, crisp, speedy, wonderfully defined lows. I do miss that bass "push" a dynamic driver can do though (that's where my fx850 have spoiled me a bit).
Your sound impression echo my own experience with the Hook-X.

For me it's the Honeydew & E3000 that spoiled me with good Bass response. Hook-X has adequate Bass quantity and quality for a planar at this price but it isn't comparable to a good dynamic driver.

Sep 30, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #604 of 821
So to summarize:I'm quite happy with the Hook-X, I think they offer enormous value for their money. If one would want something even better then this you need to probably look into the kilobuk range to find something significantly better.
This also echos my thoughts regarding the Hook-X. Though I WILL have to say that the bass on these are more akin to DD than other sets I have listened to (in the planar realm), so things are getting better where that is concerned IMO.

Also, as some of you mentioned, the iBasso IT-07 have me spoiled for DD bass too (and some DDs are starting to add some characteristics of planar bass; speed, texture, etc..., so who will combine the two the most successfully over time???). But overall, these are second on my list of favorite IEMs (currently).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

Sep 30, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #605 of 821
This also echos my thoughts regarding the Hook-X. Though I WILL have to say that the bass on these are more akin to DD than other sets I have listened to (in the planar realm), so things are getting better where that is concerned IMO.

Also, as some of you mentioned, the iBasso IT-07 have me spoiled for DD bass too (and some DDs are starting to add some characteristics of planar bass; speed, texture, etc..., so who will combine the two the most successfully over time???). But overall, these are second on my list of favorite IEMs (currently).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

Yes, exactly. I own several planar sets and the Hook-X is absolutely the most robust in the bass section. It has really rich low end that has real weight and substance.

Oct 1, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #606 of 821
Has anyone had an issue with the Hook-X where, when you first plug them in and start playing the sound from one side slowly dies away to nothing (silent)? And if you unplug them for a few seconds, then try again it is fine?

Myself and @FranQL have both noticed this behavior and was wondering if anyone else has ever had this happen?!

Oct 1, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #607 of 821
Has anyone had an issue with the Hook-X where, when you first plug them in and start playing the sound from one side slowly dies away to nothing (silent)? And if you unplug them for a few seconds, then try again it is fine?

Myself and @FranQL have both noticed this behavior and was wondering if anyone else has ever had this happen?!

Hmmm. Weird. No, I haven’t heard that on mine. Doesn’t sound like a short. More like a fault in the crossover circuit maybe??

Oct 1, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #608 of 821
Hmmm. Weird. No, I haven’t heard that on mine. Doesn’t sound like a short. More like a fault in the crossover circuit maybe??
Yeah, could be. It almost acts like a static electricity build-up of some sort, but I just don't know enough about the layout/configuration of the drivers and wiring to diagnose actual truth...hehehe

It doesn't happen EVERY time I plug them in, and I have not had the issue for quite some time, but @FranQL just experienced it for the first time, so now I know it isn't JUST me...

Oct 1, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #609 of 821

Never experienced anything like that but my HOOK-X are permanently hooked on my FiiO UTWS5

Oct 2, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #610 of 821
IMAG0895.jpg
IMAG0894.jpg
1664702303205.jpg
1664702275495.jpg
1664702280629.jpg

Oct 2, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #612 of 821
Incredible the build density in these, you are braver than me! Is the big disc the PZT?
Yes, but I didn't feel how it plays separately, I tried it with and without pzt (in one ear), and it definitely adds freshness, clarity and more focus on treble.

Oct 2, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #613 of 821
Yes, but I didn't feel how it plays separately, I tried it with and without pzt (in one ear), and it definitely adds freshness, clarity and more focus on treble.
It almost looks like it has... rust? on it from the picture. LOL Judging from the makeup (and appearance) of the piezo driver, I'm guessing the affect is fairly subtle?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back