RAPTGO HOOK-X In Ear Monitor
Aug 18, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #361 of 831
_DSC2029 (75).jpg

My review of the Hook-X is up on my blog and Head-Fi.

Aug 19, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #363 of 831
Nice! Your review firming my decision to buy them! Is there any known issues?
The only issue I have with them is if you play them from a weak power source (ie... phone or similar power source) they sound not much better than something in the $20 - $100 range. Feed them something like (this is just a blind guess) 600mW or more and you start seeing what they can do (well above $240 IMHO). This is all very subjective though, so YMMV. :)

So far I have tested them with the following:

• Samsung Note 9
  • Asus gaming laptop
  • iPod Touch 3rd gen
  • iPod Touch 4th gen
  • FiiO X5 (OG model)
  • FiiO X3II
  • iBasso DX160
  • iBasso DX300
And have used a couple portable amps to pair with the less powerful devices:
  • FiiO E17
  • FiiO E17K
My favorites thus far have been the DX300 Amp12 card (8Vrms & 2W @32ohms) and the DX160 (6.7Vrms & 1.2W @32ohms). I didn't like (so much) the other two amp cards I have for the DX300, even though they are more powerful than the DX160, the synergy just wasn't as good. I also liked the FiiO devices (probably because of their neutral/bright nature), even though they weren't very powerful. They DID have a bit flabbier bass, and separation wasn't as good, but were acceptable as a good listen.

Aug 19, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #365 of 831
I’m on my third set. (Thank you Amazon.) So far no issues of any kind. Interestingly, the third set arrived sealed in plastic while the first two did not.
Maybe that was the problem. Did you order them from Amazon Warehouse? In case you didn't know, that is used stuff and the like. Mine had the plastic wrap intact as well.

Aug 19, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #368 of 831
I've stopped using Amazon entirely even for 3rd party sellers. Way, way too many open box items sold as new to be a chance... I suspect Amazon network has some substitution deal in place with 3rd parties to automatically swap in warehouse stock when locally available... I noticed a surge in the issue when we got a big distro center nearby...

Aug 19, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #369 of 831
I've stopped using Amazon entirely even for 3rd party sellers. Way, way too many open box items sold as new to be a chance... I suspect Amazon network has some substitution deal in place with 3rd parties to automatically swap in warehouse stock when locally available... I noticed a surge in the issue when we got a big distro center nearby...
Very interesting, and I will have to keep my eyes on this, even though I have not ever had that happen to this point. Thanks for sharing that information.

Aug 21, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #370 of 831
Mine just arrived.. Very impressed right out the box.

update:
so after listening for a few hours, taking a break here and there.., here's an update for those interested..

this is my first planar iem. was choosing between hook x or s12. amazing speed and transparency. it presents music quite differently from my other iem which is a DD hybrid or single DD.., i think the hook is excellent, it does better(and worse) here and there depending what area you're looking at, and it depends on subjective tastes too.

the details is quite amazing. the soundstage is amazing wide. i think the bass is quite lacking at the moment but let's see after 100hrs burn in later.. or maybe this is the planar bass people talk about, it's there yet it kinda... lacks weight compared to DD. the mids for vocals are amazing. smooth. yet i can see what the reviews mean by grainy analogue sound. it's not very resolving but sounds so good. the highs, well, i think the treble maybe runs a bit hot on 8k, or maybe i'm not used to this kind of treble yet. all in all, it's an unique piece!

also, is there any EQ tips to make the sound better?

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #371 of 831

update:
so after listening for a few hours, taking a break here and there.., here's an update for those interested..

this is my first planar iem. was choosing between hook x or s12. amazing speed and transparency. it presents music quite differently from my other iem which is a DD hybrid or single DD.., i think the hook is excellent, it does better(and worse) here and there depending what area you're looking at, and it depends on subjective tastes too.

the details is quite amazing. the soundstage is amazing wide. i think the bass is quite lacking at the moment but let's see after 100hrs burn in later.. or maybe this is the planar bass people talk about, it's there yet it kinda... lacks weight compared to DD. the mids for vocals are amazing. smooth. yet i can see what the reviews mean by grainy analogue sound. it's not very resolving but sounds so good. the highs, well, i think the treble maybe runs a bit hot on 8k, or maybe i'm not used to this kind of treble yet. all in all, it's an unique piece!

I think you are experiencing "planar" bass IMO. It will start sounding better once you get used to it (or maybe not). Point is that planars can't move as much air as a DD can, so you get more weight/slam with it than you ever will with planar. Also keep in mind that planars are not for everyone, and you may never get used to it.

As for me, with much experience with planar IEMs/headphones, I find them to be done really well. They don't have the perfect planar texture and speed, nor the pure DD slam but I think they have sort of met in the middle with these (they exhibit lesser amounts of both).

I have found no need to EQ these. Having said that, you could try a few dB at anywhere between 4-6kHz and also a few at 63Hz (maybe set it as a low shelf). This should give them more perceived clarity and deeper subs (though it won't do much for DD slam).

Also keep in mind that they DO tighten up (on all fronts) with more current (read, they scale up very well).

Congrats on your new shiny! :)

Aug 21, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #372 of 831
The Raptgo Hook-X are the best iems I have ever heard, even outside the realm of iems, one of the best planars I've ever heard period the way you can absolutely pump the volume way up to get a massive dynamic experience and deep planar bass, without a hint of fatigue. I enjoyed the Timeless and S12, but the) I cant stop listening to everything on the Hook-X. Endgame-worthy at $240? Insane.

Attachments

• PXL_20220725_013002696.jpg
    PXL_20220725_013002696.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Aug 21, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #373 of 831

update:

I think they sound great on stock tips, and since they are spinfit imitations they keep the seal very well. But as stated earlier Sony Hybrid tips also sound great on them

Aug 21, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #374 of 831
The Raptgo Hook-X are the best iems I have ever heard, even outside the realm of iems, one of the best planars I've ever heard period the way you can absolutely pump the volume way up to get a massive dynamic experience and deep planar bass, without a hint of fatigue. I enjoyed the Timeless and S12, but the) I cant stop listening to everything on the Hook-X. Endgame-worthy at $240? Insane.
Totally agree. Hook is amazing at any price. Sound massive on my desktop!

Aug 21, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #375 of 831
Totally agree. Hook is amazing at any price. Sound massive on my desktop!
I couldn't have said it better if I tried!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back