RAPTGO HOOK-X In Ear Monitor
Aug 14, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #316 of 821
Have been able to play around a bit more, if I have them on the couch beside me, grill upward, I can hear it down to -30 dB reported in UAPP, which is pretty quiet (although interestingly, that ringing IS quite loud relative in the mix still, absolutely hideous lol). I could hear it pretty easily even ~15 feet away or so at a more typical listening level of about -23 dB reported in UAPP.

I also replicated running the E1DA from the Youtube link I posted just in case it was an artifact of Tidal.

It happens from both earpieces quite equally and is definitely coming out of the back grill, if I place them flat on their grill nothing leaks.

It's particular to that track, nothing else I've played leaks anything like that... more interesting than anything. I could test on some different DACs (love that smart cable) but I really don't want to listen to that hideous remix anymore. Not Ulver's best release lol.
That is indeed very interesting to hear. My experience is (as you know) very different than that. When I get a chance, I will que up that track and test my set. Thanks for the information! :)

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #318 of 821
Interesting, after reading some reviews and impressions, I think Im going to take the plunge buying this iem as my secondary iem. Just a quick question, is the soundstage holographic enough?
Oh, yeah.....

Aug 14, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #321 of 821
I don’t hear the bass as defined, maybe it was the UA3? I’ll switch back to my DAPs to see if more power cleans it up? I use the Walkman 1A/1Z and UA3 Dongle.

Edit:
I just listened to the HOOK-X again using the WM1A, probably my issue has been from prolonged use of 10 DDmm/Hybrids over the last couple weeks. The difference is now yes, in has more definition, but still it’s effective but not as localized as DD, more spread out, and not really as defined in fast passages. Though when on it’s own it’s clear. Probably I need more time to acclimate to planar bass, as it’s so very different in character from all my other IEMs?
Keep in mind that I am only trying to help your ears here, so I don't want you to think I am being a "know-it-all" or anything like that. So, please don't take any offense to the below paragraphs?! We are all here to enjoy the hobby after all. And, being your first planar, I thought I might help you get even more enjoyment out of this wonderful IEM (that they obviously put a lot of work into).

Having said that, do yourself a HUGE favor, and listen to those through a desktop rig that has lots of power available to it. I can say that I hear a HUGE difference (more than any other IEM I have listened to) between the different ranges of power I am able to provide. At roughly 600mW (similar to your Sony) they do have some fuzzy sound to it. Bass isn't as tight, speedy, or textured. The rest of the frequency is also not as good IMO. Now does that make them un-listenable? No, but you get the $239 sound.

Take them over to about 1.2W, and now things are starting to sound a bit tighter, less smooth (though still very smooth), and bass has a nice slam to it (rather than just a bloomy boom).

Finally, if you take them up to about 2W, and now you have something that rivals the IT07 ($900 IEM) in speed, texture, and slam. This is no longer a $239 IEM. I will stand by that statement till the end.

Having said all of that, the reason I suggest a desktop rig w/power is because you also need a higher current rating than most DAPs can provide to properly drive a planar driver. The reason that I think my iBasso DAP is capable is because it has two batteries (one for digital, and one for the amp section), and has well over 2A available. This all being said, there will be those that do the actual math, and the math shows that they don't NEED that much power to drive them. While this is true, they won't sound as good as they CAN unless you provide this power.

Really, this is more like having two sets in one. If you provide it with less power, the overall signature really is different than the one you get from feeding it power.

Edit: I cannot guess if they get better sounding from even more power (or current) because 2W is the most I have available to me atm...

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #322 of 821
Keep in mind that I am only trying to help your ears here, so I don't want you to think I am being a "know-it-all" or anything like that. So, please don't take any offense to the below paragraphs?! We are all here to enjoy the hobby after all. And, being your first planar, I thought I might help you get even more enjoyment out of this wonderful IEM (that they obviously put a lot of work into).

Having said that, do yourself a HUGE favor, and listen to those through a desktop rig that has lots of power available to it. I can say that I hear a HUGE difference (more than any other IEM I have listened to) between the different ranges of power I am able to provide. At roughly 600mW (similar to your Sony) they do have some fuzzy sound to it. Bass isn't as tight, speedy, or textured. The rest of the frequency is also not as good IMO. Now does that make them un-listenable? No, but you get the $239 sound.

Take them over to about 1.2W, and now things are starting to sound a bit tighter, less smooth (though still very smooth), and bass has a nice slam to it (rather than just a bloomy boom).

Finally, if you take them up to about 2W, and now you have something that rivals the IT07 ($900 IEM) in speed, texture, and slam. This is no longer a $239 IEM. I will stand by that statement till the end.

Having said all of that, the reason I suggest a desktop rig w/power is because you also need a higher current rating than most DAPs can provide to properly drive a planar driver. The reason that I think my iBasso DAP is capable is because it has two batteries (one for digital, and one for the amp section), and has well over 2A available. This all being said, there will be those that do the actual math, and the math shows that they don't NEED that much power to drive them. While this is true, they won't sound as good as they CAN unless you provide this power.

Really, this is more like having two sets in one. If you provide it with less power, the overall signature really is different than the one you get from feeding it power.

Edit: I cannot guess if they get better sounding from even more power (or current) because 2W is the most I have available to me atm...
Interesting, tomorrow I will go back to a desktop rig and see. I remember trying a desktop back in April with the HOOK-X. But yes, I’m open minded to the effects of power. Meaning I do believe some IEMs need a lot. I’ll never forget how totally confused I was as to the bass quality pre-burn-in. Later after a good 75 hours the HOOK-X bass was a whole different animal. Still I thought that I had a good handle of what the HOOK-X was about in April when I did a review? But I am openminded as to revisit desktop power. I have 3 planars, the HOOK-X, the Dioko and the HIFIMAN P1 Max.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #323 of 821
Interesting, tomorrow I will go back to a desktop rig and see. I remember trying a desktop back in April with the HOOK-X. But yes, I’m open minded to the effects of power. Meaning I do believe some IEMs need a lot. I’ll never forget how totally confused as to the bass quality pre-burn-in. Later after a good 75 hours the HOOK-X bass was a whole different animal. Still I thought that I had a good handle of what the HOOK-X was about in April when I did a review? But I am openminded as to revisit desktop power. I have 3 planars, the HOOK-X, the Dioko and the HIFIMAN P1 Max.

Cheers!
It is fantastic that you have an open mind! This is one of the reasons I like reading your reivews BTW (that and the colorful commentary and story like presentation). :) You don't seem to be one of those "this is the way it is, I will not listen to further input" type of people.. :sweat_smile:

Keep in mind also, that since you are used to (and prefer it seems) a V signature, you may need more brain/ear adjustment than normal.

I used to be a real bass-head (many years ago), and the "back then" me would say that these don't have enough quantity of bass, but nowadays I mostly prefer a tad of boost from neutral (in bass), and I would actually call these "too much" quantity in certain songs. They certainly are a boosted bass, but in a really tasteful or "audiophile" consideration.

I am not trying to "overplay" these because they DO certainly have their faults, but with my experience with planar these certainly are one of the best in the bass department alone. Are they the fastest? No but considering how deep they reach, and the separation, I feel the speed and texture is well above average when combined with those other things. For instance, the OG P1 have some of the best pure "planar" bass sound I have heard, but with the caveat that the quantity and depth suffer greatly.

I have the OG Tinhifi P1, 7Hz Timeless, Hifiman Deva, Hifiman HE400S (not the HE400, or HE400I, or HE400SE mind you). I have auditioned many more, but those that I listed are the "keepers" if you will, and for differing reasons.

Aug 14, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #324 of 821
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/samandhi.340939/

Thank-you, for the compliments. Yes, well, I view the HOOK-X as a totally unique IEM, different than any I have heard. Also superior to the Dioko which is strange, as in one recent Dioko review I judged the Dioko and HIFIMAN P1 Max as very close to the same, yet when I did the P1 Max review I had the HOOK-X and P1 Max as close to the same? Now I hear the HOOK-X as a way different beast? But the only difference was on the HOOK-X review and P1 Max review I gravitated towards using the Sony original Hybrid Tips. Those out of all the tips I tried seemed to make the HOOK-X and P1 Max bass so much better? If you have a pair of those laying around give them a try! Surprisingly my tip choice is not consistent and it needs to be. I am again reminded that it needs to be consistent, as at times (as you know) tips make a world of difference!

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #325 of 821
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/samandhi.340939/

Thank-you, for the compliments. Yes, well, I view the HOOK-X as a totally unique IEM, different than any I have heard. Also superior to the Dioko which is strange, as in one recent Dioko review I judged the Dioko and HIFIMAN P1 Max as very close to the same, yet when I did the P1 Max review I had the HOOK-X and P1 Max as close to the same? Now I hear the HOOK-X as a way different beast? But the only difference was on the HOOK-X review and P1 Max review I gravitated towards using the Sony original Hybrid Tips. Those out of all the tips I tried seemed to make the HOOK-X and P1 Max bass so much better? If you have a pair of those laying around give them a try! Surprisingly my tip choice is not consistent and I need to be reminded that it needs to be consistent, as at times (as you know) tips make a world of difference!
I certainly agree with tips making a (subtle) but overall big difference, if that makes any sense. I have been using a pair of stock tips from the 7Hz Timeless set. They are quite unique AFAIK in that they are wide-bore, but long stem and are shaped like typical foams (though they are indeed silicone). They seem to seal AND sound best of the pairs I have rolled (Final E, Spinfits 100, 100+, 145, Whirlwind wid-bore, etc...).
20220814_154729.jpg

If you ever get a chance to audition the original Tinhifi P1, you should. They were very polarizing because the quantity of bass is more akin to a Sennheiser HD600, but the speed, texture, and overall quality is something to behold (IMHO). Everything since then (including their own P1 Plus, P2, and P1 Max) have added a boosted bass (which is ok too). But in doing so, I think they lost some of the planar magic that was the OG. Now Hook-X comes along, and we now have a good combination of that P1 bass, and (contemporary) boosted bass that most prefer nowadays. It really is lovely (to my ears). :)

Aug 14, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #326 of 821
I certainly agree with tips making a (subtle) but overall big difference, if that makes any sense. I have been using a pair of stock tips from the 7Hz Timeless set. They are quite unique AFAIK in that they are wide-bore, but long stem and are shaped like typical foams (though they are indeed silicone). They seem to seal AND sound best of the pairs I have rolled (Final E, Spinfits 100, 100+, 145, Whirlwind wid-bore, etc...).
20220814_154729.jpg

If you ever get a chance to audition the original Tinhifi P1, you should. They were very polarizing because the quantity of bass is more akin to a Sennheiser HD600, but the speed, texture, and overall quality is something to behold (IMHO). Everything since then (including their own P1 Plus, P2, and P1 Max) have added a boosted bass (which is ok too). But in doing so, I think they lost some of the planar magic that was the OG. Now Hook-X comes along, and we now have a good combination of that P1 bass, and (contemporary) boosted bass that most prefer nowadays. It really is lovely (to my ears). :)
Yes, those are unique tips in my experience. As normally wide-bore don’t have added length? Wild.

Aug 14, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #327 of 821
Yes, those are unique tips in my experience. As normally wide-bore don’t have added length? Wild.
I think that I don't have enough taper at the beginning of my ear holes to be able to use tips that rest on the outside. So, I really need a medium to deep insertion to make a proper seal. These, being a short stem WILL seal, but only if I don't move much. So I either had to find the long stem tips as a solution, or use the trick I used on my OG P1, which was to cut out a bore from an old set of tips, and then cut in half again. Each piece would be put over the stem and used as a sort of spacer to extent the tips out further. Works great on my P1 and DUNU DK2001 (which were also short and not angled enough IME).

Aug 14, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #328 of 821
I have a great song to test all aspects of bass on a set that I frequently use (and enjoy immensely as a bonus). The really good part starts at about 3:30, and changes again (with some different and amazing bass) twice before the song is over. I recommend listening to it in its entirety. It may not be your cup of tea (I know it really isn't mine normally), but it shows some fantastic properties (or exploits where it can be weak) in the bass department. As a bonus, it has some really good testing properties for mids AND highs as well. I also recommend the high resolution version of it. While the YouTube version sounds good, the bass isn't all that it can be on higher res (in a noticeable way).

Amazon version
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B017CDINYC?trackAsin=B017CDHIL6&ref=dm_sh_0991-83c4-7275-ac93-f270c

And YouTube video:

Aug 14, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #329 of 821
Tips can be access to a better fit at times when they promote a physicality lacking in the IEM, in interface to your ear. Meaning at times the IEM will need an extra something to fit better, be it actual bore diameter or extra length. I found an IEM where the nozzles were too long too, being regularly they are the opposite. So it’s all that along with the bore diameter which as you know, affects soundstage and/or bass amount as well as positioning inside of the soundstage.

I used to do that extra nozzle length (by adding cut off nozzle) too, but found I could never get an airtight fit in the end. Too many open areas to do it. Though your doing what longer tips do anyway. Or maybe finding both the shape/size and nozzle length with such an addition to a tip?
I think that I don't have enough taper at the beginning of my ear holes to be able to use tips that rest on the outside. So, I really need a medium to deep insertion to make a proper seal. These, being a short stem WILL seal, but only if I don't move much. So I either had to find the long stem tips as a solution, or use the trick I used on my OG P1, which was to cut out a bore from an old set of tips, and then cut in half again. Each piece would be put over the stem and used as a sort of spacer to extent the tips out further. Works great on my P1 and DUNU DK2001 (which were also short and not angled enough IME).

I have found extra long tips to be on the rare side of choices. Where in my whole life, very few are actually really long. Such lengths go to add stabilization at times when a certain area of your ear canal needs to be utilized to somehow achieve better fit. I mean that’s not the best thing, but at times you have no choice. The best fitting IEMs allow you to use 9 different tips as they are fitting regardless of tips. The tips then only go to make the fit airtight.

But that’s the thing, these tips change the sound due to each having different distances they allow fit. Meaning at times the tips allow a shorter distance of area inside you ear canal, or longer. The material makes each tip sound different, as well as the length and bore diameter. There is even changes that are hard to figure out, like why at times do two tips sound different, when essentially they look the same?

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #330 of 821
Interesting, after reading some reviews and impressions, I think Im going to take the plunge buying this iem as my secondary iem. Just a quick question, is the soundstage holographic enough?
The soundstage holographic is not the best on the stock cable, a bit veiled and center focused, they need a better cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back