Rap Sucks
Jun 28, 2003 at 11:36 AM Post #136 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by Rush0212
Your absolutley right, they just keep getting better, something crap, I mean rap will Never do!
600smile.gif

LOL, sure, whatever you say.
wink.gif

I'm really pleased with all the cognicent, thought provoking, relevant reasoning you and Metalhead have brought to the thread to support your position; really gives you something to think about.

Obviously you guys have really put a lot of thought into this.
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2003 at 2:10 PM Post #137 of 782
Quote:

I'm really pleased with all the cognicent, thought provoking, relevant reasoning you and Metalhead have brought to the thread to support your position; really gives you something to think about.

I really dont even have to think about it, rap just sucks period, theres no thinking about it, or involved with it, its just fact. People are intitled to there own opinion , and this is mine, not only does rap suck , but I also think that crap what ever its called nu metal or What ever also sucks equally. LIS I dont care who's doing it {notice I didnt say playing it?} It sucks end of story. This will be my last post on this whole subject, its just not even worth it.

Jun 28, 2003 at 2:33 PM Post #139 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Well, I just did a serach on Kazaa Lite for El-P and I found 234 files! I am downloading Deep Space 9mm right now.

EL-P is a good rapper I just don't like the beats he does. He is all so a member of The Weathermen!

Jun 28, 2003 at 2:39 PM Post #140 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by snausages
KR..., I'm not too concerned with trying to turn haters into hip-hop believers... if you hate rap then no amount of good beats and rhymes will change that. But if you want to download some tracks to see what it's about, while keeping a relatively open mind, then that's real cool (regardless of whether you like the stuff or not).
There are hundreds (if not thousands) of different artists and styles but if I was recommending an underground sampler (The Roots aren't underground) it'd go something like this:

Sage Francis - Inherited Scars, Personal Journalist

Cannibal Ox - Vein, A B-Boys Alpha

Sole - da baddest poet, respect pt 3

Aesop Rock - Daylight, Flashflood

El-P - Deep Space 9mm, Delorean

Jedi Mind Tricks - Speech Cobras, The Deer Hunter

I put a couple tracks for each artist/group cos I'm not sure how available it all is (I never download hip-hop) so you can decide. There are six very different styles there; El-P's stuff is not the most accessible to underground newbies but it wouldn't be complete without him (crazy *******-up beats).

If you smoke the good stuff now's the time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Here is a person who knows about Underground rap & has good teast...........

Jun 28, 2003 at 3:14 PM Post #142 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
I liked the beats, didn't like the rapping.

EL-P he's a rapper and a producer, his beats are to space like im in a UFO or im playing tetris. Did you tried to look for Cage Movies For The Blind? I know you will like that!

Jun 28, 2003 at 10:30 PM Post #143 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by Rush0212
I really dont even have to think about it, rap just sucks period, theres no thinking about it, or involved with it, its just fact. People are intitled to there own opinion , and this is mine, not only does rap suck , but I also think that crap what ever its called nu metal or What ever also sucks equally. LIS I dont care who's doing it {notice I didnt say playing it?} It sucks end of story. This will be my last post on this whole subject, its just not even worth it.

Of course you're entitled to your own opinion, but you're opinion will carry more weight with others with solid rationality with your conclusion. That would also give others more to think about if you wish to consider them seeing your side of it.

Jun 28, 2003 at 10:44 PM Post #144 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody
Of course you're entitled to your own opinion, but you're opinion will carry more weight with others with solid rationality with your conclusion. That would also give others more to think about if you wish to consider them seeing your side of it.

Then of course there's 'jump rock' where the guys just jump up and down and scream..is that 'thrash'?

Morons.....

Jun 28, 2003 at 11:08 PM Post #145 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Scarpitti
Then of course there's 'jump rock' where the guys just jump up and down and scream..is that 'thrash'?

Morons.....

Hey, whatever people like, to each there own. But personally I want to hear the reasons they from a certain opinion, so I could see their side.

Jun 29, 2003 at 12:16 AM Post #146 of 782
Wondering about the aesthetics of rap-hating, Will? Here's the basic formula:

Pitched melody = music, no matter what the vocal rhythms and track itself [are] doing

Thus:

Rap = non-pitched melody = non-music
Nursery rhymes, muzak, noodling on a melodica = pitched melody = music

Sub level (racist) formulae:

Current or recent black culture and slang = stupidity, ghetto mentality, threatening messages, unsanctioned rebellion (which is why the repetition of rock is OK with some people, but the same revolving door in rap is said to be intolerable: a complete double standard)

Metal = culturally ordained rebellion

Retro black culture and slang (at least thirty years old) = culturally safe due to familiarity and historical remoteness (whatever is old ceases to be threatening -- look at Robert Johnson, James Baldwin and Malcolm X)

This despite any rhythmic and lyric sophistication that rap possesses. This despite the fact that Rush has the most stunningly pretentious-yet-illiterate lyrics known to the human race.

Make no mistake: a *lot* of metal musicians are racists. I've had to record with my share, and most I've known would feel right at home sitting at a John Birch Society memorial banquet. I used to go home sick every night after recording with Pitch Black.

Which is why it's so amusing that certain individuals on this thread should be championing metal, soundtrack of the white trash of the world, and calling the cultural value of rap into question as if they knew anything about culture. Their point is breathtakingly wrong and their exposition's musically illiterate.

Jun 29, 2003 at 2:25 AM Post #148 of 782
1. This is thread crapping (against the rules)
2. You're 15 years old.
3. You have Bose Triport headphones (according to your profile)
4. MTV/Radio is just as horrible for rap as it is to rock. If I were to judge rock by what MTV played, I'd think it was all Puddle of Mud, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Good Charlotte, Avril Lavigne etc. (all horrible "musicians") MTV:Music::KFC:Chicken
5. By saying an entire genre sucks, you proving your ignorance. You obviously haven't listened to 1% of the good stuff (Aesop Rock, Talib Kweli, MosDef, and many more)
6. You like Korn

Here, I'll make up my own typical rock song

"I can't feel
like I used to
Because things change

And yet I don't want to remember
How they did
Because it hurts

And everytime I close my eyes
It reminds me that I'll never forget
That night"

30 seconds to write. (Don't forget to scream at the top of your lungs!)
There you go. Your typical whiny song by fake "anti-pop" artists.

7. You like Korn. All your music (as indicated by your profile) is dominated by successful artists. Get the hell out of the pop scene and dig into something with meaning.

Now quit flaming things you don't understand. It can ruin your future.

Jun 29, 2003 at 2:39 AM Post #149 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by OriginalReaper
1. This is thread crapping (against the rules)
2. You're 15 years old.
3. You have Bose Triport headphones (according to your profile)
4. MTV/Radio is just as horrible for rap as it is to rock. If I were to judge rock by what MTV played, I'd think it was all Puddle of Mud, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Good Charlotte, Avril Lavigne etc. (all horrible "musicians") MTV:Music::KFC:Chicken
5. By saying an entire genre sucks, you proving your ignorance. You obviously haven't listened to 1% of the good stuff (Aesop Rock, Talib Kweli, MosDef, and many more)
6. You like Korn

Here, I'll make up my own typical rock song

"I can't feel
like I used to
Because things change

And yet I don't want to remember
How they did
Because it hurts

And everytime I close my eyes
It reminds me that I'll never forget
That night"

30 seconds to write. (Don't forget to scream at the top of your lungs!)
There you go. Your typical whiny song by fake "anti-pop" artists.

7. You like Korn. All your music (as indicated by your profile) is dominated by successful artists. Get the hell out of the pop scene and dig into something with meaning.

Now quit flaming things you don't understand. It can ruin your future.

WOW. . .lol. First of all, earlier in the thread i already said i haven't listened to other rap. I was simply judging my opinion on mtv crap. That is all, I was just stating my opinion on what i'vee heard of rap. BTW what the hell is wrong with korn??

Jun 29, 2003 at 3:48 AM Post #150 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
Wondering about the aesthetics of rap-hating, Will? Here's the basic formula:

Pitched melody = music, no matter what the vocal rhythms and track itself [are] doing

Thus:

Rap = non-pitched melody = non-music
Nursery rhymes, muzak, noodling on a melodica = pitched melody = music

Sub level (racist) formulae:

Current or recent black culture and slang = stupidity, ghetto mentality, threatening messages, unsanctioned rebellion (which is why the repetition of rock is OK with some people, but the same revolving door in rap is said to be intolerable: a complete double standard)

Metal = culturally ordained rebellion

Retro black culture and slang (at least thirty years old) = culturally safe due to familiarity and historical remoteness (whatever is old ceases to be threatening -- look at Robert Johnson, James Baldwin and Malcolm X)

This despite any rhythmic and lyric sophistication that rap possesses. This despite the fact that Rush has the most stunningly pretentious-yet-illiterate lyrics known to the human race.

Make no mistake: a *lot* of metal musicians are racists. I've had to record with my share, and most I've known would feel right at home sitting at a John Birch Society memorial banquet. I used to go home sick every night after recording with Pitch Black.

Which is why it's so amusing that certain individuals on this thread should be championing metal, soundtrack of the white trash of the world, and calling the cultural value of rap into question as if they knew anything about culture. Their point is breathtakingly wrong and their exposition's musically illiterate.

It seems to me that you know about as much about metal as MetalHead666 knows about rap. I also find it funny that he likes all these Nu-metal acts that all use rap.

People have misconceptions about everything that they don't know about. They can do two things about it. Try to learn more and smarten themselves up or keep acting like a misinformed jackass. The choice is theirs and yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back