Rap Sucks
Jun 29, 2003 at 3:51 AM Post #151 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
Wondering about the aesthetics of rap-hating, Will? Here's the basic formula:

Pitched melody = music, no matter what the vocal rhythms and track itself [are] doing

Thus:

Rap = non-pitched melody = non-music
Nursery rhymes, muzak, noodling on a melodica = pitched melody = music

Sub level (racist) formulae:

Current or recent black culture and slang = stupidity, ghetto mentality, threatening messages, unsanctioned rebellion (which is why the repetition of rock is OK with some people, but the same revolving door in rap is said to be intolerable: a complete double standard)

Metal = culturally ordained rebellion

Retro black culture and slang (at least thirty years old) = culturally safe due to familiarity and historical remoteness (whatever is old ceases to be threatening -- look at Robert Johnson, James Baldwin and Malcolm X)

This despite any rhythmic and lyric sophistication that rap possesses. This despite the fact that Rush has the most stunningly pretentious-yet-illiterate lyrics known to the human race.

Make no mistake: a *lot* of metal musicians are racists. I've had to record with my share, and most I've known would feel right at home sitting at a John Birch Society memorial banquet. I used to go home sick every night after recording with Pitch Black.

Which is why it's so amusing that certain individuals on this thread should be championing metal, soundtrack of the white trash of the world, and calling the cultural value of rap into question as if they knew anything about culture. Their point is breathtakingly wrong and their exposition's musically illiterate.

A lot of good observations scrypt. And If I came out as being a know it all mobster, i'm sorry
biggrin.gif

I will admit my comment was stupid and offensive. Allso I am sure there are plenty of intelligent, musicaly talented rap performers/musicians. I just wish I could find some. I mean that last comment with all sincarity. And I know my spelling sucks. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

BTW not all metal listeners are part of the "white trash of the world" as you put it. Plus not all rap music listeners are gang bangers and crooks. I hope that clears up how I feel on the subject.

Jun 29, 2003 at 3:59 AM Post #152 of 782
Quote:

BTW not all metal listeners are part of the "white trash of the world" as you put it. Plus not all rap music listeners are gang bangers and crooks. I hope that clears up how I feel on the subject.

Of course, every sane person knows this. Besides, everyone knows that the white trash of the world likes country and western
wink.gif

edit : funny joke, but there is no such thing as white trash, it's just a joke. and there is nothing wrong with country and western, that's good all amercian music.

Jun 29, 2003 at 4:41 AM Post #153 of 782
has anyone on this ****ing post ever heard a quality rhyme? When a rapper is "ON" its close to a great guitar solo. Granted most of the **** on MTV and HOT97 is crap, but listen to the greats and youll see the skill, originality and intelligence it takes to execute a good rhyme. Producers who sample take the best part of a particular song and loop it. If youre not into hip hop these albums will convince you that rap is an art form:

1) Wu Tang Clan- enter the 36 chambers
2) Notorious BIG- ready to die
3) Rakim and Eric B- greatest hits
4) A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
5) Dr. Dre- The Chronic
6) Run DMC - Greatest Hits
7) Beastie Boys- Check Your Head
8) Gangstarr- Hard to Earn
9) EPMD - Greatest Hits
10) Biz Markie- Greates Hits
11) Nas- Illmatic
12)Brand Nubian- Greatest Hits

'Nuff Said

Jun 29, 2003 at 5:51 AM Post #154 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by bundee1
...a quality rhyme...

biggrin.gif
ROFLMAO
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2003 at 6:39 AM Post #155 of 782
Anyone who thinks a heavy metal band can not write a song with melody and conviction should listen to a song Called Rainbow Eyes from Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow. The name of the album is Long Live Rock N Roll.

Jun 29, 2003 at 7:37 AM Post #156 of 782
All i got to say about rap is its a joke, i had to watch that idiot nelly on snl and mad tv performing live, i couldnt stop laughing its so bad, he tried singing lmao. 7 guys walking around randomly saying yo and yea after every verse, What is wrong with music today, good thing i still got the old stuff.

Jun 29, 2003 at 2:54 PM Post #157 of 782
Like I said check out the records listed above. They are from what I consider to be the golden age of rap. Please dont dis rap because Ive seen the crap metal/alternative performances on SNL and MTV.

Jun 29, 2003 at 7:23 PM Post #158 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
It seems to me that you know about as much about metal as MetalHead666 knows about rap. . . . People have misconceptions about everything that they don't know about. They can do two things about it. Try to learn more and smarten themselves up or keep acting like a misinformed jackass. The choice is theirs and yours.

And the truth is that you know even less about me than you do about rap *or* metal.

Ever read Keyboard Magazine? Check out my interview someday. It's documented that I've recorded extensively with metal as well as rap artists. PC agenda sans research = schoolboy dogmatism.

I was forced to record and perform with metal bands almost exclusively from 1986-9. I was literally in the studio with metal bands for four days a week and they loved the way I played, for the most part. As a white boy musician coming from the suburbs in the pre-rap days, I was forced to know far more about metal than you ever will with your various five-minute web searches. At eighteen, I auditioned with every successful metal band in my area that wanted keys, got the job every single time and declined to take it the next day. At the time, I couldn't see myself playing that kind of music even for money. Ironically, I had to play and write it in New York in the late eighties because that's where the jobs were. But I always despised it. Always.

In rap and dance sessions, I was always welcomed because I could play, as were other white musicians. Whereas I *never* saw a black musician (or a woman) in a metal session. All of that began to change when alternative music gained ground. I can recall endless conversations in studio lounges about how Vernon Reid's (all-black) Living Color weren't "a real rock band" but Guns 'n' Roses were. An utterly sickening memory.

No point in bringing up Ritchie Blackmore either. I've had to transcribe and play Jon Lord solos verbatim from Hush and virtually every other Deep Purple travesty for Japanese laser CDs. I know that material intimately and hate it all. Cliche, cliche, cliche.

And when I talk about racism in the metal kingdom, I speak from direct experience. If a handful of those musicians had been racist, I wouldn't suggest a pattern. Unfortunately, 85% of the ones I've met or worked with were.

Yes of course not all metal bands and listeners are racist. But I do think, based on personal experience and the interviews I've read, that unexamined racism is at the core of a metal head's assertion that rap = drivel.

And of course metal is, among other things, the soundtrack of the white trash of the world -- it's as true in Oslo as it is in the States. If you doubt it, read an interview with Varg Vikernes.

And I assert my right to use the term White Trash because I myself *am* white. NWA got to use the N word, as did countless black artists in their wake, because they were black. Thus I am free to redefine terms that others have used to insult me.

Historically, White Trash is a classist term that was applied to Caucasians of low economic and social status -- the very people whom Jesse Jackson II seeks to include in his current democratic strategy to add to the Constitution a clause stating that all Americans are entitled to an education of equal and high quality. The irony of my use of the phrase? That the people to whom *I'm* applying the term are the self-appointed representatives of what they view as the white race's *elite*. Vikernes has even stated that a white person with brown eyes and black hair should marry a person with blonde hair and blue eyes so as to promote greater racial purity (Lords of Chaos, by Michael Moynihan and Didrik Søderlind).

Jun 29, 2003 at 8:58 PM Post #159 of 782
Quote:

And the truth is that you know even less about me than you do about rap *or* metal.

ROTFLMAO!!!! Ok, I think everyone who reads your post and this one can figure out who really is speaking the truth here.

Quote:

Ever read Keyboard Magazine? Check out my interview someday. It's documented that I've recorded extensively with metal as well as rap artists. PC agenda sans research = schoolboy dogmatism.

Why the hell would I read keyboard magazine? PC agenda? Me? You must be joking right? Congratulations, you are the 1st person to ever call me PC on or off line.

Quote:

I was forced to record and perform with metal bands almost exclusively from 1986-9. I was literally in the studio with metal bands for four days a week and they loved the way I played, for the most part. As a white boy musician coming from the suburbs in the pre-rap days, I was forced to know far more about metal than you ever will with your various five-minute web searches. At eighteen, I auditioned with every successful metal band in my area that wanted keys, got the job every single time and declined to take it the next day. At the time, I couldn't see myself playing that kind of music even for money.

Oh yes, the keyboard, the most Metal of all instruments, LOL!!!!
biggrin.gif
Yeah, you really convinced me ,
biggrin.gif

five-minute web searches? What?!? You really think I just started listening to metal or am lying about being a fan of it? Do you honestly think that any sane person on this board is buying your ********?

Quote:

In rap and dance sessions, I was always welcomed because I could play, as were other white musicians. Whereas I *never* saw a black musician (or a woman) in a metal session. All of that began to change when alternative music gained ground. I can recall endless conversations in studio lounges about how Vernon Reid's (all-black) Living Color weren't "a real rock band" but Guns 'n' Roses were. An utterly sickening memory.

Of course there have never been any women in metal in the 80's, 90's or now
wink.gif
Anyone who listens to metal knows that this is complete ******** as there were and are many. There are many Asian, Mexican, and Brazilian metal bands. Metal isn't just "white folk" music you know.

Rap on the other hand has very well known history of raps that are degrading to women. They are also tons of raps that talk bad about white people, but yet you have to look for nazi bands to find any that talk bad about blacks, and even among the nazi bands, you would have to look pretty damn hard.

Of course not all rap does this, but a lot more do than metal does.

Just because you were hanging out with a bunch of idiots doesn't mean you should paint brush an entire genre of music. That's the same thing that racists people do. To do this just shows your ignorance and hypocrisy.

Quote:

And of course metal is, among other things, the soundtrack of the white trash of the world -- it's as true in Oslo as it is in the States. If you doubt it, read an interview with Varg Vikernes.

There is no such thing as white trash, people of any creed or color are not trash, they are human beings. No one in Black metal or any serious black metal fan takes Varg Vikernes seriously, Varg has nothing to do with Black metal anymore and hasn't since 1996.

Who is the biggest Black Metal band in the world right now? Since you are claim to know more about metal than me you should know this. Well, just in case, they are of course Immortal. Why bring them up? Well, as the tr00 master of metal that you are, you should already know the answer to that question.

Quote:

And I assert my right to use the term White Trash because I myself *am* white. NWA got to use the N word, as did countless black artists in their wake, because they were black. Thus I am free to redefine terms that others have used to insult me.

That's the biggest pile of **** that I ever heard. Truth be known that NO, and I repeat NO self respecting black person would ever call themselves that term or use it when referring to their friends. The ones that do are ignorant period, that includes you as well.

Jun 29, 2003 at 9:20 PM Post #161 of 782
Metal = white trash huh. Then how come everyone I know who listens to metal are some of the nicest people you could ever meet in your life. I'm sure they would take great offense to you calling most metal listeners "white trash". I have read plenty of interviews with rap muscians and they come off as some of the racist people I can think of.

Oh and by the way Jon Lord and Ritchie Blackmore are two of the most talented (or pretty close) muscians in the world on their instruments. For you to call them "cliche" is rude and just not true at all. I could talk about rap music being cliche all day but I won't. I'm taking the high road on this.

Most metal lovers that I meet enjoy all kinds of different styles. Classical, soft rock, and some even enjoy hip hop and rap.

Sterotypes are dangerous.

Jun 29, 2003 at 10:17 PM Post #162 of 782
Quote:

ROTFLMAO!!!! Ok, I think everyone who reads your post and this one can figure out who really is speaking the truth here.

I think scrypt has said some very intelligent things and I agree with a lot of it. I do think there is underlying racism in a lot of people’s hatred and complete dismissal of hip-hop/rap, and I don't think this is confined to just metalheads either.

Quote:

They are also tons of raps that talk bad about white people...

Common misconception. I think you'd be hard pressed to find any of that because whites are their target demographic for the most part.

Quote:

That's the biggest pile of **** that I ever heard. Truth be known that NO, and I repeat NO self respecting black person would ever call themselves that term or use it when referring to their friends. The ones that do are ignorant period, that includes you as well.

KR... if you honestly believe that blacks only refer to each other as "nigga" in music and movies then you've been living in suburbia too long. It's VERY common.

Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
And of course metal is, among other things, the soundtrack of the white trash of the world...

Personally, I think there's more white trash listening to Eminem, Dr. Dre, Snoop-Dog, etc. than there is in the metal world.

Jun 29, 2003 at 10:23 PM Post #163 of 782
Quote:

I do think there is underlying racism in a lot of people’s hatred and complete dismissal of hip-hop/rap, and I don't think this is confined to just metalheads either.

If that is so, who cares? Like I said earlier, why are some of you trying to convert people to change their opinion on rap? If they think it sucks, fine. It's their right. You can have yours too.
Some of you are acting as bad as a group of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Jun 29, 2003 at 11:10 PM Post #164 of 782
Quote:

Exactly -- you are so removed from reading what I've said that you deny the possibility of a preponderance of empirical evidence and instead spout your usual generalizations. You seem unable to analyze a single statement on your own -- all you can do gesture nebulously and make inarticulate non-reasoned references to "the truth": "The Truth Is out There."

Quote:

Why the hell would I read keyboard magazine?

Gosh, KR -- and here I thought you were the fount of web knowlege, the one who was going to inform us all about matters esoteric and topical. It never occurred to me that you'd be uninterested in a potential source of musical information.

Quote:

Oh yes, the keyboard, the most Metal of all instruments, LOL!!!!: Yeah, you really convinced me ,

What did you say moments ago about *my* knowing nothing about metal? Yes, yes, of course -- no self-respecting metal band has *ever* used keyboards. I don't have to "convince" someone who fails to do his homework.

Quote:

five-minute web searches? What?!? You really think I just started listening to metal or am lying about being a fan of it? Do you honestly think that any sane person on this board is buying your ********?

I'm glad you've gotten your feelings out in the open, KR. Now that you've done a bit of healthy screaming, let me ask you: Aren't you the one who continually speaks of doing web searches for research? And isn't it a tad inconsistent on your part to claim you're "not buying" my background as a musician in the preceding paragraph and then hyperventilate here about my supposedly "calling" you "a liar" (which I never did)?

Quote:

Of course there have never been any women in metal in the 80's, 90's or now
wink.gif

Your participation here is making me wonder whether any of your research should be taken seriously: if you can't comprehend what's said on this thread, then how can you be trusted to give us synopses of facts from other places? You've paraphrased me incorrectly as having said that all people who listen to metal are white trash, that all are white, that there are no women or black people, etc., etc. I'd thought your reading comprehension skills were better than this.

What I said was that in *my personal experience*, on the sessions and rehearsals in which *I, personally, participated,* there was far more racism and sexism than in the rap sessions I've done. During auditions, I saw women and black singers get rejected outright. And I never saw any women or black musicians in metal sessions in New York City, one of the most racially diverse cities in America. That's all I said.

If you wish to dispute that I could have had some experience or other because you feel the circumstances sound impossible, then be my guest. But don't make the glaring mistake of presuming that, when I say *in my experience,* I actually mean *everywhere in the world at once.*

Quote:

Anyone who listens to metal knows that this is complete ******** as there were and are many. There are many Asian, Mexican, and Brazilian metal bands. Metal isn't just "white folk" music you know.

Finally, a good point. Yes, there are non-white metal bands and metal fans as well. A kid from Brazil, who lives across the hall from me, grew up listening to Sepultura (and his mother, who lives with him, approves). Even back in the 80s, there were bands like King's X.

But again, you're suggesting that when I say, "85% of the metal musicians I've met or worked with," I actually mean everyone who has ever been in or listened to a metal band. In which case, my friend, the faulty logic is yours.

Quote:

Rap on the other hand has very well known history of raps that are degrading to women.

And there are endless misogynistic songs about women in metal as well. The difference is the factor of *inclusion*: there are several women rap artists, many of them so popular that they've crossed into film and television. Not so with black women metal musicians.

And of course various species of metal are going to change in relation to the growing multiculturalism of the world generally. You wouldn't have reactionary racists like Varg vying for attention if racial acceptence weren't commonplace.

Quote:

They are also tons of raps that talk bad about white people, but yet you have to look for nazi bands to find any that talk bad about blacks, and even among the nazi bands, you would have to look pretty damn hard.

A trip to Portland, Oregon might convince you otherwise.

Quote:

Just because you were hanging out with a bunch of idiots doesn't mean you should paint brush an entire genre of music. That's the same thing that racists people do.

Fascinating -- the sessions I did for years and decade of experience with bands are reducible to "hanging out with a bunch of idiots" instead of amounting to the kind of research journalists do routinely while writing a story.

And while we're on the subject: I didn't "paintbrush" an entire *genre of music*. What I did was suggest reasons for the *motivation of certain individuals who love metal genres and loudly disparage rap*. It isn't ignorance to conclude, based on hundreds of conversations and experiences, that the majority of anti-rap statements made by metal musicians and listeners are unconsciously racist. Note that I'm using exactly the same words this time: unconsciously racist.

Quote:

There is no such thing as white trash, people of any creed or color are not trash, they are human beings.

Thank you, Dr. McCoy.

Quote:

No one in Black metal or any serious black metal fan takes Varg Vikernes seriously, Varg has nothing to do with Black metal anymore and hasn't since 1996.

How could he? He's in jail.

Quote:

Who is the biggest Black Metal band in the world right now? Since you are claim to know more about metal than me you should know this.

Actually, I "are not claim" to be the Master of Metal (drum roll) but rather someone who has had more direct experience of it than your web searches (which you keep talking about) would afford. And you would do well to remember that it was you, not I, who unzipped your fly and dangled the word *ignorance* in everyone's face. It's you who has continually told people they were ignorant, therefore it's you who should "already know" about the existence of every genus of metal, rap and Serbo-Croatian zydeco in the known universe.

Quote:

Again, through your verbal alchemy, I have become not a person who may use the word *white trash* ironically because he is white, but rather a white person who feels free to use the N word. And yet there is not one instance anywhere in the world -- in a book, on a forum, in an interview -- in which I've used the N word. And to call ignorant every single black person who has ever used that word in any context is itself a bit spare on the book-learnin'.

Really, a lot of this pointless debate could have been cleared up if you'd paid attention and noticed that I spoke of metal musicians who hated rap, not all metal. And in this context, "soundtrack of the white trash of the world" is an ironic put-down of said white elite, not an indictment of all metal musicians and listeners. Since you're trying to engage me in an omniscience tug-of-war, you of all people should know.

Jun 29, 2003 at 11:19 PM Post #165 of 782
Why should I apologize for not liking rap music? I never said there were not any rap performers who had musical training. I just said I have never heard of any in my limited experience in the rap genre. I am positive that there are talented rap performers. I admit that. But that does not mean I have to like the rap genre. Does it
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back