Rap Sucks
Jun 26, 2003 at 10:42 PM Post #121 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
True, so here is the deal.

Name five songs by any group or groups that you think are the best underground stuff.

I will do my best to download them and take a listen. I think there is always an exception to every rule, so there just has to be at least one rap song that doesn't suck. Hell I can name good country songs, freaking COUNTRY!!!!! So there has to be at least one from the 100,000 raps out there that isn't crap. I want to find it. I don't know enough about this music to do it on my own. Help me find it.

Well, like I said, I'm not trying to defend the GENRE or Rap, but I like a lot of the Roots stuff prior to Phrenology (particularly the Organix and Illadelphia Halflife albums), as well as Public Enemy from the early 90's. The De La Sol and Tribe Called Quest greatest hits albums are also good representations of what I like.

I wouldn't call this underground by any means, but it's what I like, and what I think is good. I know nothing about "underground rap".

Metalhead, you may want to check some out as well. Who knows, you may even learn something.
wink.gif

Jun 27, 2003 at 10:28 AM Post #123 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Name five songs by any group or groups that you think are the best underground stuff.

KR..., I'm not too concerned with trying to turn haters into hip-hop believers... if you hate rap then no amount of good beats and rhymes will change that. But if you want to download some tracks to see what it's about, while keeping a relatively open mind, then that's real cool (regardless of whether you like the stuff or not).
There are hundreds (if not thousands) of different artists and styles but if I was recommending an underground sampler (The Roots aren't underground) it'd go something like this:

Sage Francis - Inherited Scars, Personal Journalist

Cannibal Ox - Vein, A B-Boys Alpha

Sole - da baddest poet, respect pt 3

Aesop Rock - Daylight, Flashflood

El-P - Deep Space 9mm, Delorean

Jedi Mind Tricks - Speech Cobras, The Deer Hunter

I put a couple tracks for each artist/group cos I'm not sure how available it all is (I never download hip-hop) so you can decide. There are six very different styles there; El-P's stuff is not the most accessible to underground newbies but it wouldn't be complete without him (crazy *******-up beats).

If you smoke the good stuff now's the time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2003 at 6:47 PM Post #126 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Yo Yo KR
What up dog......

That sounds like some dope ****, player......
very_evil_smiley.gif

Could DarkDitz be down? not likely.
wink.gif

Atmosphere is a group that's quite accessible to people that are new to hip-hop. Tracks worth checking out are: The Woman with the Tattooed Hands, Between the Lines, Free or Dead.

Jun 27, 2003 at 7:11 PM Post #127 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by double A
Could DarkDitz be down? not likely.
wink.gif

I can count my rap Cds on one hand, but this is my fav:
B000000QQP.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

**** shop
Me so horny
Seven bizzos etc

**** that gangsta ****, these are really phat trax.
Can you dig that, sucka!

Jun 27, 2003 at 7:31 PM Post #128 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Yo Yo KR
What up dog......

That sounds like some dope ****, player......
very_evil_smiley.gif

LOL!

I don't own any rap Cds and I don't think I ever will. I don't think I will start talking in Ebonics. I don't think I will start dressing like a homosexual prison inmate. But I think it is important to open your mind to everything. Word Life
wink.gif

Jun 27, 2003 at 7:41 PM Post #129 of 782
On to the open challenge bit.

El-P - Deep Space 9mm, Delorean

I listen to both of these tracks.

Their DJ is really good, damn good as a matter of fact. Hell, I actually like it (call the tr00 police DA). The act of rapping itself is just something that I don't think I could ever get use to, that style of vocals are just not my cup of tea. However, at least these guy's rapping is not boring and plain like all that horrid mainstream crap.

Jun 28, 2003 at 12:22 AM Post #130 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by Rush0212
Simply put Rap is Crap.

I dont give a dam what kind of Rap it is or who does it, it all sucks period.

Not for nothing, but Rush isn't quite what they used to be, now are they?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 28, 2003 at 1:23 AM Post #131 of 782
Quote:

Not for nothing, but Rush isn't quite what they used to be, now are they?

Your absolutley right, they just keep getting better, something crap, I mean rap will Never do!
600smile.gif

Jun 28, 2003 at 2:14 AM Post #132 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by Rush0212
Your absolutley right, they just keep getting better, something crap, I mean rap will Never do!
600smile.gif

LOL, excellent. .

Jun 28, 2003 at 3:31 AM Post #133 of 782
how would you 'dis' rap music when you listen to nu-metal, which incorporate rap vocal style.

smack my bitch up yo, i be rolling with the 2x izza tanite shizi fo'.
(someone tell me what the hell i just say.)

Jun 28, 2003 at 3:52 AM Post #134 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by terrymx
how would you 'dis' rap music when you listen to nu-metal, which incorporate rap vocal style.

At least nu-metal is music. Rap isn't, and it sounds like total s**t (btw, this is just my opinion, duh).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back