Rap Sucks
Jun 23, 2003 at 2:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 782

MetalHead666

I was thinking today, about how crappy rap is. So I decided to dedicate a thread to the crappy, unmusicalness of rap. Release your anger and frustration on this subject. Share your thoughts on how bad it is.

O and remember, You Can't Spell Crap Without Rap.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 23, 2003 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 782
well..i listen to rap...but i get this feeling all the "new raps" are basically crap like you said. however i enjoy "old-school/old-school-style-rap" like 2pac, dr. dre very much

Jun 23, 2003 at 2:33 AM Post #3 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by ProFingerSk8er
however i enjoy "old-school/old-school-style-rap" like 2pac, dr. dre very much

Wow, I feel really old if young people are calling 2Pac and Dr. Dre "old school"!

Jun 23, 2003 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 782
Dr. Dre and 2Pac oldschool?

I did some research:

Dr. Dre : 2001 - came out 1999

2Pac : Until the End of Time - came out 2001

Anyway to me, ALL RAP SUCKS.
600smile.gif

Jun 23, 2003 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 782
I think what hurts rap a lot is the lack of originality that's perceived. I mean you have guys trying to rap over a Phil Collins song for Christ's sake.
rolleyes.gif

I like the Roots a lot, as well as Public Enemy, De La Sol, and A Tribe Called Quest. There's not a lot out there that I know about that I can say I enjoy, for what it's worth.

Jun 23, 2003 at 4:18 AM Post #7 of 782
I agree to a point, mainstream rap sucks! all the video's are the same, they all dress the same, they all sound the same. Thats why i only listen to underground rap, its alot better. I really like The High And Mighty they brong back rap. I mean the rhymes the beats its refreshing to hear, plus there is alot of underground white rappers that are alot better then that little fag eminem. Rap has seen better days, underground artists are blowning up and there gonna take over. Here is a link to hear The High & Mighty & some others its worth to check out http://sandbox.pair.com/abstract/rwk1167.html
http://sandbox.pair.com/abstract/abb1032.html
http://sandbox.pair.com/abstract/ec1001.html
http://sandbox.pair.com/abstract/plr0008.html
http://sandbox.pair.com/abstract/htr102.html
http://sandbox.pair.com/abstract/rr0014.html

Check them out and reply and tell me what you think........

Jun 23, 2003 at 4:21 AM Post #8 of 782
...and yet you like nu-metal?

Crappy rap is crap. Some rap is tolerable. I have a few light-rap albums myself, with frontmen who play instruments. OMC, Beastie Boys, Everlast.

I can't understand how popular this mindless mainstream rap is. Simplistic, self-promoting lyrics, little musical talent, and the kind of sound that sells V600s and Escalades and calls it a good thing.

But...to each his own. People play their rap; I play my metal. This rap craze will fade, and we'll have something else to complain about.

Jun 23, 2003 at 4:23 AM Post #9 of 782
I could never, and still cannot, get into any kind of (c)rap. However, I now understand why my dad always thought my music sucked, sort of
rolleyes.gif

Jun 23, 2003 at 4:37 AM Post #10 of 782
If rappers connect with real Musicians and write positive lyrics they would be recognized as "Artists", maybe not musicians; but I beleive that something positive and powerful can come from it.

On the other hand(the negative side that most of us see with rap); Just talking into a microphone and being profane, perverse and rude just for the sake of making "MONEY" and jumping on the bandwagon is NOT Music at all!!!!

All the jewelry and goofy looking clothes have absoultely "ZERO" to do with Music and ART.

Let's face it; there are or have been many Rock Stars, Pop Stars, Country Stars etc.... and now Rappers that are fools and a total joke and disgrace to society.

What kind of future is there being a THUG or GANGSTER?? Even after 9/11 and now the War in Iraq, this garbage still continues.

Jun 23, 2003 at 5:01 AM Post #11 of 782
Dude, seriously you can't use a name like MetalHead666 and call rap crap. That's at best like an alcoholic ripping on a drug addict. At worst it's.. well I'll be nice.

For the record, rap is easily the biggest step in Western popular music for several decades. You have to go back to what... the 70's and punk? What else even competes?

Jun 23, 2003 at 5:02 AM Post #12 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by MetalHead666
I was thinking today, about how crappy rap is. So I decided to dedicate a thread to the crappy, unmusicalness of rap. Release your anger and frustration on this subject. Share your thoughts on how bad it is.

O and remember, You Can't Spell Crap Without Rap.
evil_smiley.gif

rap = c...rap is it just a coincidence, or a subliminal sugestion ???
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 23, 2003 at 5:08 AM Post #13 of 782
Hip-hop and rap are what you make of them (or what you find). There is some inspired stuff in these genres. There is also pure crap. I find that the more commercial stuff isn’t very good (and that includes the overly gangster stuff that is marketed as “edgy”).

Like any genre, you can find good stuff in it.

I can easily say that all country music or metal is **** if I point to the pop stuff. However, I must concede that each genre has its gems if you dig deeper.

Jun 23, 2003 at 7:10 AM Post #14 of 782
You just can't dismiss an entire genre of music.Rap is the voice of the person(artist?) performing it.It will be around long after you and I have moved on to the next argument.Critics said rap was a fad 20 years ago and swore gangster rap would never catch on.

Jun 23, 2003 at 7:19 AM Post #15 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by neggy
Dude..Dr dre was part of nwa which was in the 80's and 2 pac has albums that were before 2002, i dont care much for rap but get your facts straight!
tongue.gif

Sorry, I still remember Melle Mel, Grand Master Flash, and those guys. THAT'S "old school" rap
biggrin.gif
I'll even call older Ice T, Public Enemy, and early/mid-80s rap "old school" (so I guess you could say that Dr. Dre is tangentially old school, but not as a solo artist).

As someone who actually had a copy of "The Message" on vinyl, I think most of today's rap sucks. Most "ganster rap" sucks. You have to go back to rappers like Ice T to find good "ganster" rap. But there is a lot of great rap to be had out there, and rap is one of the most important forms of music to come around in decades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back