Rap Sucks
Oct 2, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #346 of 782
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you're doing a lot of generalising. The stuff you describe is very prevalent in commercial rap (50 Cent and such), but that stuff is, in general, hardly cutting edge, well-composed or up to the same standard as good rap. Good rap can talk about anything. Rap is no more limited to talking about slappin' hoes than metal is limited to talking about Satan (for example). Also, most popular rap doesn't involve much lyrical complexity. It's impossible to deny the skill of a rapper who can write verse upon verse of lyrics full of multi-syllabic rhyming, alliteration, literary references and the like, let alone rapping those lyrics quickly and rhymically accurately.

Speaking for myself, I listen for rhythm and flow in rap. When I concentrate a little I can certainly make out all the lyrics and usually enjoy them, but what I really want, before good lyrics, is good flow in the delivery of the lyrics. A lot of rappers sound angry, and spit out lyrics quickly and aggressively, and that can sound great. A lot of rappers are really chill sounding, and their lyrics seem to flow effortlessly. That's also great.

As for beat making, that's a whole different story. Short, keyboard looped beats are, again, the stuff of crappy popular rap. There's even a song on RJD2's classic album Deadringer called F.H.H. with the following lines relating to both what I just said and something I said earlier (I've censored):

(Note: The first line doesn't come out of nowhere and have no rhyme. The line before it rhymes, I just cut that part off in the quote. Same goes for the last line, which isn't left hanging in the song.)

In any case, good rap albums combine artificially generated beats with samples, loops and all manner of other things (often including instruments, of course). Speaking for myself, I practically never listen to rap just for lyrical reasons. I *need* good music behind it or I can't stand listening, and yet there are tens of rap albums I have on regular rotation. Good sampling and beat making is as if not more difficult than good riff writing, for example.

Basically, this goes back to something I said earlier in this thread. You don't dislike rap (yet). You dislike the rap you've heard. Judging from what you've said, you've only heard bad rap, and are more than justified for disliking that stuff. I did too. You wouldn't say all metal was bad if you'd only heard late-era Metallica, Korn and Cinderella, would you?

You're exactly right. I was definitely generalizing. I definitely can't say that ALL rap is bad because that would be untruthful. I'm also not saying that none of them have talent...that would also be untrue. But like you said, the stuff that we get fed in the media, is not appealing for me personally.

My other point was that, just because rap isn't appealing for me, doesn't necessarily mean that it sucks. If I enjoy more listening to Metal, pop, or whatever, it's because either I like the sound, or I can relate to it better than rap. (I'm one of the few that listens to stuff because I like it and not because everyone else is listening to it) And with that, if I don't like rap, it doesn't make me racist...it just means that I don't like rap. Although, there are probably are some people who don't listen to certain musical genres because of racism...goes both ways.

I like a lot of beats and grooves that I have heard in some of the songs, but I just didn't dig the lyrics. But, as you stated, I probably haven't heard anything good. If you can recommend some "good" rap for listening, I'd be interested to hear it. Thanks for the comment.

Oct 2, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #347 of 782
50_cent__gunit-1148659912_i_2611_full.jpg

B00005B1KA.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

c8144145h05.jpg

375x375

41NM64SEW4L._AA240_.jpg

B00005LMKS.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B000003B6U.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Just to name a few...

Oct 2, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #348 of 782
Quote:

Originally Posted by Motts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can recommend some "good" rap for listening, I'd be interested to hear it. Thanks for the comment.

A bit of a mix:

Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Outkast - Stankonia
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Dizzee Rascal - Boy In Da Corner

Oct 2, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #349 of 782
Ok oh my gosh, I was listening to some old school stuff my brother used to like back inthe day and I came across freaking DIGITAL UNDERGROUND : The humpty dance. That song is the most idiotic peice of trash Ive had the displeasure of hearing in ages. Seriously, how could anyone expect rap to improve when its built on talentless moronic bragging about how much alleged sex they have had.. Death to senseless rap!! ( I say that because *some* rap actually has a good message and some values and some legitimate discussion on real issues, which regardless of how its delivered, does merit some respect in my books.)

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:04 AM Post #350 of 782
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrD3i2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DIGITAL UNDERGROUND : The humpty dance. That song is the most idiotic peice of trash Ive had the displeasure of hearing in ages. Seriously, how could anyone expect rap to improve when its built on talentless moronic bragging about how much alleged sex they have had.. Death to senseless rap!!

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but it's probably unfair to dismiss Digital Underground based upon the thing that was played on the radio. (It's a great party track, anyway, above and beyond the fact that there's also a message in it about not being taken in by appearances.) And if you have any interest in what Humpty's been doing lately, you might try the track "Career Finders," a funny thing he's on with the political hip-hop duo the Perceptionists. It kinda satirizes the rap industry.

Oct 2, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #351 of 782
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but it's probably unfair to dismiss Digital Underground based upon the thing that was played on the radio. (It's a great party track, anyway, above and beyond the fact that there's also a message in it about not being taken in by appearances.) And if you have any interest in what Humpty's been doing lately, you might try the track "Career Finders," a funny thing he's on with the political hip-hop duo the Perceptionists. It kinda satirizes the rap industry.

DU's best stuff wasn't played on the radio.

Oct 3, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #352 of 782
Quote:

This is probably true, intentional or not. But we gotta look at the facts. 99% of rappers are black. 99% of metal and most rock musicians are white. For that fact right there, blacks are going to prefer rap, and many whites will prefer rock/metal/pop/country, or something else.

I don't think it's always a racial thing like "I'm not going to listen to rap because it was created by blacks." Rather, some young white kid might not relate to "Getting his grill", "Getting Jiggy Wit it" or livin' Ghetto Fabulous.

And I'm sure there are a lot of blacks that didn't understand or relate to "Hot For Teacher", "Cum on Feel the Noise" or "Shout At The Devil."

I can be open minded and appreciate creativity in hip hop/rap songs. I dig a lot of the beats. But most of the lyrics don't apply to my life. There are a lot of bands with white musicians that I don't get either. Their lyrics are weird, and the music annoys me. My body craves a certain sound, and there aren't substitutes. Doesn't make me closed minded or a bad person...just the way it is. Everyone is different. If you wanna get tats, a mohawk, or wear huge t-shirts with huge jeans and yo grill...whatever. Me and my SE420s will be doing our own thing.

this is good enough, really. you don't have to like the thing. you don't even need to respect that all. just don't disspect it. i think that can make the world better by just doing that.

Oct 3, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #354 of 782
Quote:

YIf you can recommend some "good" rap for listening, I'd be interested to hear it.

Sure. First of all, it was kind of funny to see a bunch of classic and explicit gangster rap get recommended to someone immediately after they said they don't like the subject matter of most rap.

Anyway, try these albums:

Glue - Seconds Away
Sebutones - 50/50 Where it Counts
De La Soul - Three Feet High and Rising
Roots Manuva - Run Come Save Me (there's also a dub version called Dub Come Save Me that's pretty neat)
Sage Francis - A Healthy Distrust
Madvillain - Madvillainy
MF Doom - MM...Food
RJD2 - Deadringer
Guru - Jazzmatazz

I stress that most of these are good albums in the musical sense. They're all good lyrically and all excellent flow-wise, but I wouldn't call any of them true masterpieces of lyricism. For that you'd have to go to a lot of stuff you might find objectionable, or that might fall into the realm of rap you don't like right off the top. That said, when I listen to rap I listen to stuff like what I've listed.

Oct 3, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #355 of 782
Ok I want to get a Metalhead to like rap, I would suggest he listen to Tech N9ne, Bionic Jive (late 90's rap rock no longer a band but still awesome), K-OS, Lastly the cd Deltron 3030 overall great hip-hop. The Deltron cd will probably get the best results it seems to ascend genres.

Oct 3, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #356 of 782
To reiterate:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's some suggestions post-1997:

Mos Def - Black On Both Sides

Mr. Lif - I Phantom

OutKast - Stankonia

The Roots - Phrenology

The Perceptionists - Black Dialogue

Buck 65 - Talkin' Honky Blues

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #357 of 782
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure. First of all, it was kind of funny to see a bunch of classic and explicit gangster rap get recommended to someone immediately after they said they don't like the subject matter of most rap.

Irony/sarcasm.
wink.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #358 of 782
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prozakk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Irony/sarcasm.
wink.gif

That's what I figured. No rap fan worth a salt would recommend a Public Enemy best of over Fear or Bum Rush.
tongue.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #359 of 782
That Public Enemy best of IS really good though, and you can get it for $5.
wink.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #360 of 782
While I'm not a rap fan in general, I'd never dismiss an entire genre with the wave of a hand. I'm drawn to talent, and anything with enough talent can sway me over.

There are a few rap songs I really like. Laugh if you will, but I like Sir Mix-A-Lot.

I also really love that one song from The KLF "Justified and Ancient". Who would ever guess Tammy Wynette could actually pull off a cameo in a rap song, but I love it!

And of coarse being a "cracker" I like the Beastie Boys, but let's not talk about Vanilla Ice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back