Rap music. Pro or Con
Jun 20, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #186 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by litlharsh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's your number one problem. And for the rap/hip-hop categorization, rap is a music, Hip-hop is a culture.

I see, and if I want to form an opinion of classical, jazz, rock, latino music, what is played on the radio is not an accurate sample? I assume such stations use ratings as to what is popular to play, and what is popular is mainstream <whatever>, isn't it?

I'm getting confused. So if I listen to a hip-hop station and the music doesn't sound like rap at all, what was I listening to? References to players, getting down with the next door neighbor girl, a guy doing a reggae vocal...

Don't tell me I'm listening to the wrong station, cause I must learn something today for my friend from Hong Kong.

Jun 20, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #187 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see, and if I want to form an opinion of classical, jazz, rock, latino music, what is played on the radio is not an accurate sample? I assume such stations use ratings as to what is popular to play, and what is popular is mainstream <whatever>, isn't it?

I'm getting confused. So if I listen to a hip-hop station and the music doesn't sound like rap at all, what was I listening to? References to players, getting down with the next door neighbor girl, a guy doing a reggae vocal...

Don't tell me I'm listening to the wrong station, cause I must learn something today for my friend from Hong Kong.

haha. You were listening to Shaggy. PICTURE THIS WE WERE BOTH BUCK NAKED!

anyway, The Mainstream of rap is an absolute joke, moreso than any other genre. It's ridiculous. You're not going to find soulful raps with real issues being discussed, because that's not what the majority of the public are looking for. They want the stuff they can dance to.

Jun 20, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #188 of 224
Quote:

what?
The reverse would be true. Hip hop includes the four pillars: MCing DJing breakdancing and graffiti. MCing is rapping.

We only had the three pillars sex and drugs and rock and roll.

Jun 20, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #189 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Metaphysical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can you say common and gym class aren't close to real hip hop? Common is a great MC and is almost up there with Kweli and Mos. Gym Class uses a live band and Travis, the MC, is great. How is that not music? Did you watch the video?

edit: Also, what MC's/songs are you talking about that give you goosebumps?

To be honest, the first album of Common is not that bad if you like that type of music (commercial stuff). After that, it went down hill.

Concerning Gym Class Heroes, there's a single out here which drives me nuts at work which is called "CUPID'S CHOKEHOLD" (I had to look this up). There's only one real "genre" for this kind of so called artists and that's pop (and yes, I gave the album a spin and I don't like it at all).

Also, before anyone jumps on me, it's not that I dislike certain music only because it's popular or commercial or whatever. It's mostly just not my cup of tea.

The last album I bought is Apsci - Thanks For Asking.

Jun 20, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #190 of 224
Quote:

haha. You were listening to Shaggy. PICTURE THIS WE WERE BOTH BUCK NAKED!

So not rap/hip hop and this is pretty lame, huh? Oh well...I know you say I'm wasting my time but there's one other station to try that's a little more edgy. The thought of shelling out $ for something I haven't heard doesn't appeal to me. The other genres I listen to at least get some air time on the PBS stations.

Hey, any internet radio stations you know of that plays the 'true' rap you are talking about?

Jun 20, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #191 of 224
I mostly listen to classical music and don't search out much in the way of other genres these days, but I've certainly heard some rap that I enjoy.

Jun 20, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #192 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, before anyone jumps on me, it's not that I dislike certain music only because it's popular or commercial or whatever. It's mostly just not my cup of tea.

Can't fault you for that. Pop was Barry Mannilo/Neil Diamond/Disco stuff in my day. Boring....couldn't push the envelope..couldn't even find the envelope to push it.

Jun 20, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #193 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So not rap/hip hop and this is pretty lame, huh? Oh well...I know you say I'm wasting my time but there's one other station to try that's a little more edgy. The thought of shelling out $ for something I haven't heard doesn't appeal to me. The other genres I listen to at least get some air time on the PBS stations.

Hey, any internet radio stations you know of that plays the 'true' rap you are talking about?

It's all "true" rap, just a lot of it sucks. There's one artist though, that almost all of my friends who don't like rap like...K-OS.

You should be able to find a youtube vid or http://www.pandora.com/ should have something. He's not exclusively rap, but draws most of his influences from it. Try it. Also: awesome 3 pillars.
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #194 of 224
Quote:

To be honest, the first album of Common is not that bad if you like that type of music (commercial stuff). After that, it went down hill.

You must be out of your mind. Common is amazing. Possibly the best Chi-city rapper ever.

Jun 20, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #195 of 224
Quote:

Concerning Gym Class Heroes, there's a single out here which drives me nuts at work which is called "CUPID'S CHOKEHOLD" (I had to look this up). There's only one real "genre" for this kind of so called artists and that's pop (and yes, I gave the album a spin and I don't like it at all).

The last album I bought is Apsci - Thanks For Asking.

Yeah, while their new album is more pop-sounding, it's not the only album they have. Cupid's chokehold gets on my nerves now too because as with most other songs on the radio it's played incessantly. Go pick up For the Kids... or The Papercut Chronicles by Gym Class Heroes. These albums are much better than As Cruel As School Children IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back