***RANT***
Sep 18, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #16 of 33
PATHETIC replies,must be college grads!

They'd be less likely to upgrade and get butthurt over someone butthurt over somebody else upgrading because they're paying off student loans.

I mean sure some of the posts are just placebo, but why get so riled up about it? If you believe what they say then that's not exclusively their problem. I'm reading through those and I haven't upgraded anything in my desktop rig since freaking 2012. New gear I've bought since were IEMs (beaters to replace beaters, mostly) and a DAP (after Android updates screwed with USB audio on my DAC), and I don't get mad at people praising some TOTL IEM or DAP.

Let me guess...you also got mad at content creators reviewing graphics cards you can't buy. I'm just happy I have something to watch, whether it's through an i3 notebook or my desktop with a 1070.

Sep 18, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #17 of 33
To look at it another way.......the guy that purchased some headphone from 2010 may not have the same product “finesse” as the new one you purchased in 2018. It’s always changing, sometimes getting better, at times different. Much of the time those latest purchases get hyped up and placeboed up, so that is written about. It’s still their right to express their experience. They can put that experience anywhere they want. Same as the purchased headphones from 2010 don’t always get any limelight any longer, but that’s life!

I can name 20 headphones from 2010 that are totally forgotten. That’s just how it works.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #18 of 33
Omg omg, just bought an iPod classic with phone earbuds. It sounds amazing!!!!!! Compared to what I used to (think) I enjoyed wmz1... My ears have been awoken. I can't believe such sound from this device. For so long I was led to believe I was listening to the best, turns out all you need to do is stick to budget music players and YouTube. Don't let yourself be fooled. So happy with my upgrade

Sep 18, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #20 of 33
I feel like I'm in bizarro world. People actually think like this ? If you get upset by people posting anything it's a personal problem. Be happy with what you have.
No, all shops must be banned once I buy something

Sep 18, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #21 of 33
PLEASE,stop frigging posting upgrades purchased along with listening impressions that are ALWAYS "it's SOOO much better bla bla bla in ANY item thread...Start a NEW frigging thread so those who have bought a product & can not or choose not to spend more aren't left feeling like they wasted $!!!You people have NO CLUE how this negatively affects buyers...
Looks like we’re in the minority here, but I agree with you. This place is rife with a mentality of upgraditis. The times it really gets me is in a recommendation thread where some naive newcomer asks for recs within a certain budget and everyone replies with “you need to spend twice that much to get good sound!” And then you watch as the person’s budget goes from $200 to over a thousand because they just don’t know any better. It’s sad and frustrating to watch.
And then, of course, when you point this out people reply with “don’t be so easily influenced.” Don’t be easily influenced?! Are you kidding? That’s precisely the reason most people come to Head-Fi in the first place: to seek advice and to be influenced!
I think you’re absolutely right: people don’t understand the weight their words carry.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #22 of 33
That’s totally not cool for anyone to post way above the limited amount requested. People should understand that a person sets a maximum price as that is the serious maximum they can go.

But what he is saying that if a person purchased a “whatever” that they shouldn’t be exposed to the writings of the people who purchase a “whatever plus” in the same thread. How does anyone know that the people on the thread reading can’t afford/don’t want to afford the “whatever plus”?

It’s true at times that products get revamped way to soon. Like a new model improvement over the last model in 8 months time. It does seem unfair to those who purchased the previous model who feel like they got ripped-off for not buying the newer product. I get that. But what I am saying is it’s just part of the nature of headphones. It comes down to if you believe that improvements were really obtained by the manufacturer at a future date, or is it quickly scheduled obsolescence? I personally think both styles of improvement take place. Still whatever it is the fact that the two products may crossover in a thread. What do you want.....to not know about them? Most of the time a buyer is excited to get a new product and reiterates the performance as being way better when that’s questionable. But obviously at times it is better, that’s just the industry.

The key is brands, some brands never actually come out with new products (right away) to make their old products obsolete.......like 5 year windows which I feel is acceptable?

Also some brands actually don’t understand what their buyer wants or they would have made it in the first place. There are brands that have made failures, so....what are they to do? They attempt to fix the issues after hearing new feedback from the consumer. I sincerely believe this happens, but again it’s the company and their own knowledge to start off with. Seasoned companies often never need to “fine-tune” their products as they get it right the first time around.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #23 of 33
Looks like we’re in the minority here, but I agree with you. This place is rife with a mentality of upgraditis. The times it really gets me is in a recommendation thread where some naive newcomer asks for recs within a certain budget and everyone replies with “you need to spend twice that much to get good sound!” And then you watch as the person’s budget goes from $200 to over a thousand because they just don’t know any better. It’s sad and frustrating to watch.
And then, of course, when you point this out people reply with “don’t be so easily influenced.” Don’t be easily influenced?! Are you kidding? That’s precisely the reason most people come to Head-Fi in the first place: to seek advice and to be influenced!
I think you’re absolutely right: people don’t understand the weight their words carry.

You can't blame other people for how you act. As soon as you do you give up control of yourself. Once you lose control you can't better yourself. In all honestly you need to learn how to take people's reviews with a grain of salt. Everyone's DNA is different, their age is different and their preference is different. When people give reviews on this site its wildly different and you have to understand where people are coming from to understand their reviews.

Sep 18, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #24 of 33
Honestly headphones are a lot like speakers. The technology really hasn't changed much in decades. There are speakers and headphones from the 70's that still sound amazing. What it boils down to is did the company do a good job of implementing that technology and is it buil well. And there is the availability of said products. What I have noticed though is prices have gone down for whatever reason. Maybe production advancements or marketing changes. Now you can get something that sounds fantastic for much less than you could back in the day. There are some great deals out there now on some really good stuff that 10 or 20 years ago would have bankrupted the normal person.

Also over the years I have listened to headphones from 20 or 30 bucks up to maybe a thousand. There are headphones in every price range that sound good. And there are some in most price ranges that don't sound that great at all. And when you are talking about decent headphones the sonic differences are often pretty slight as the price increases. To some this might be worthwhile, to others not so much.

I would say the biggest difference I noticed was when I recently upgraded to a dedicated headphone amp and dac. And those were not even expensive, Asgard 3 and a modi 3+ for like 400 bucks. They for sure sound better than anything I was using before like the output from my computer, phone, 2i2 mic interface or my denon receiver. Even on cheap headphones. Was it a huge difference? Nope, but it was a difference. I have noticed the same with speakers in the past. They normally sound better if driven from a pre amp and quality dedicated amps. The problem there is price though. Pre amps and amps for speakers can get a bit pricey, even on the lower end. There are some expensive receivers that do a good job too.

Sep 19, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #26 of 33

All hobby forums have this problem.

However OP's real problem isn't about curing upgraditis, but that he can't indulge in it and feels bad about it, while here I am with main system I didn't upgrade since 2012. Anything I spent on it was maintenance - new cable, new ear/headband pads, etc. Which even in a hobby that doesn't have an upgraditis problem can be applied like if somebody in lower vax rate area starts complaining about people in more vaxxed areas posting pics of being out and about eating in restaurants, or in specific situations where the upgrade was warranted like some guy posting about an RTX 3070 where 1) he's posting how much of an improvement you can expect vs a chip and setting tweaks that may not have been covered by reviews or how quiet his particular card is and 2) his data's only real flaw is he didn't get the old GPU figures fresh, and also the reason why he got the new card, was because the old card is busted.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #27 of 33
All hobby forums have this problem.

However OP's real problem isn't about curing upgraditis, but that he can't indulge in it and feels bad about it, while here I am with main system I didn't upgrade since 2012. Anything I spent on it was maintenance - new cable, new ear/headband pads, etc. Which even in a hobby that doesn't have an upgraditis problem can be applied like if somebody in lower vax rate area starts complaining about people in more vaxxed areas posting pics of being out and about eating in restaurants, or in specific situations where the upgrade was warranted like some guy posting about an RTX 3070 where 1) he's posting how much of an improvement you can expect vs a chip and setting tweaks that may not have been covered by reviews or how quiet his particular card is and 2) his data's only real flaw is he didn't get the old GPU figures fresh, and also the reason why he got the new card, was because the old card is busted.
Ah, okay. I’m realizing I misunderstood what he was saying.

Either way, I think people should try to be a little kinder in their responses and not pile on with making fun of him.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #28 of 33
I feel like I'm in bizarro world. People actually think like this ? If you get upset by people posting anything it's a personal problem. Be happy with what you have.
It's lovely.

Sep 19, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #29 of 33
Ah, okay. I’m realizing I misunderstood what he was saying.

Either way, I think people should try to be a little kinder in their responses and not pile on with making fun of him.

The weird part is he can just ignore the other reviews and impressions for products he can't afford.

I mean, I don't ignore them, but I can read them to keep up to date and listen to the stuff (well, before this virus happened) without getting upgraditis, and my problem is whether the improvements actually are warranted than that I can't afford the stuff. And even now that I can't try the stuff out, regardless of what's out there, I'd be more inclined to just sit back and listen to what I do have, which right now is just my Hidisz AP80 and Aurisonics ASG-1 because my Meier Cantate is having an issue again (by this point I'm pretty sure it's either the potentiometer or the 6.35mm socket).

Sep 20, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #30 of 33
I find it quite strange that you are so annoyed/frustrated at what others have, can afford and how often they do so and how they discuss it. aren’t you enjoying music with what you have already? Why care for anything else?

I find that in this hobby, getting to the destination (gear trying) is a very fun part of the experience but my main goal is to enjoy music, not be up to date with the « more better » gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back